Author Topic: How about a low-cost air defense missile system for the Philippines?  (Read 2134 times)

israeli

got this from the other forum, c/o Frenzy and capellan. i do not know how Timawans would react to such an idea. :nuts:

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jlad/jlada015.html

-- RAFAEL officials showing 'Stunner' missile to Olmert (Photo: Moshe Milner, GPO).

Rafael Advanced Defence Systems /Raytheon - Stunner Anti-Missile Defence System (International), STATIC AND TOWED SURFACE-TO-AIR MISSILE SYSTEMS

Development

Announced on 24 May 2006, the Israeli Missile Defence Organisation (IMDO) in cooperation with US Authorities has selected the Rafael Armament Development Authority and Raytheon, Tucson, Arizona to develop a new terminal missile defence interceptor initially known as Stunner within the US and Kela David in Israel.

Description

Known as a Short-Range Anti-Ballistic Missile Defence Program (SRABMDP) the system is primarily being designed to attend to the burgeoning Short-Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) threat coming from Syria, Lebanon and Iran.

Land-Based Air Defence

Jane's Land-Based Air Defence makes gathering intelligence on land-based air defence systems quick and easy. It provides details of system development and status, technical descriptions, variants, specifications, country inventories, manufacturer details, and over 900 photographs to support recognition. This authoritative resource is essential for all those interested in remaining up-to-date on the developments within this fast moving industry.

UNIT PRICE: US$300,000 per missile.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:52:06 AM by israeli »
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

israeli

Re: How about a low-cost air defense missile system for the Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »
Israel Unveils Stunner, New Ballistic Missile Defense System Geared To Intercept Long Range Threats

Israel’s Armanent Development Authority Rafael unveiled Tuesday the Stunner missile, designed to intercept long range rocket  threats with ranges of between 70 to 200 kilometers, such as the ballistic missiles Hizbullah and Iran have in their arsenals, and is slated to become an integral part of Israel’s ballistic missile defense program.The new ballistic missile was unveiled during  Prime Minister Ehud Olmert’s visit to the authority on Tuesday. The missile developed jointly by Rafael and Raytheon, is part of the ‘”Magic Wand”rocket defense system . Described by defense officials as the future ‘game changing’ system,’ it is geared to address the growing asymmetric threat of short range ballistic missiles and large caliber rockets. The new system will establish a low tier for the Arrow 2 missile weapons system and will provide high sensitivity under all weather conditions and is facilitated with what experts describe as a “hit to kill” maneuverability, at a relatively low cost.

The missile which was recently unveiled by the American company Raytheon and is designed to use a multi purpose rocket motor with an agile steering system. Using what is described as a ‘fire and forget’ operating concept, the Stunner will engage targets along threat trajectories, The system can also rely on the Green Pine missile warning radar or Rafael’s new multi mission radar . Experts believe that by integrating Stunner into existing air defenses , once operational it will be able to dramatically improve the survivability of air defense systems and protect strategic facilities from attacks by short or medium range ballistic missiles as well as minimize collateral damage.

01/22/08

Margot Dudkevitch

Infolive.tv
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

israeli

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:55:08 AM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3497563,00.html

RAFAEL unveils defense system to intercept Hizbullah rockets

Israel's Armament Development Authority displays 'Stunner' interception array designed to combat long-range Hizbullah missiles and 'Iron Dome' defense system against short-range rockets like Qassams to Prime Minister Olmert

Roni Sofer Published:  01.22.08, 19:45 / Israel News

The RAFAEL Armament Development Authority unveiled on Tuesday its newly developed 'Stunner' missile, designed to intercept long-range rocket threats such as the Zelzal and Fajr missiles fired by Hizbullah into Israel during the Second Lebanon War.

The Stunner is part of the 'Magic Wand' rocket defense array and was presented to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert during his visit to the institute. The researchers also introduced Olmert to the 'Iron Dome' system, which is still in its testing phase.

Olmert was briefed on the development status of the two defense systems, the continued enhancement of which was authorized by the government last year. In early 2007 Olmert and then-Defense Minister Amir Peretz sanctioned the creation of the Magic Wand system for rockets fired from a distance of 24-155 miles and the Iron Dome system for rockets fired from a range of 2.5-43 miles (Qassams, Grad and Katyusha missiles).

According to the timetable set by the company, the Iron Dome system will be operational and ready for deployment in southern Israel by early 2010. The cabinet approved the purchase of the interception system several weeks, ago.

RAFAEL directors stressed on Tuesday that contrary to reported claims – at present time there is no laser interception system currently on the market that is capable of solving the Qassam threat.

"I was extremely impressed with what was presented to me and it is evident that there is a monumental effort here to develop systems that, once completed, will protect Israel's citizens," said Olmert.

The prime minister also implored the researchers to speed up the timetable to provide defense for the county's south from the threat of Qassam attacks.

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:13 AM »
UNIT PRICE: US$300,000 per missile.

Define "low-cost".  :eyes:

Note that in addition to the missile itself, you'd need a radar network that can actually detect its targets. Israel already has that -- we don't.

Israel needs this because it is always under threat from artillery rockets / short-range ballistic missiles. In the Philippines' case, we're better off getting interceptors -- which provide a greater range of action options.
The campaign to establish a Philippine equivalent to DARPA / DAPA / DSTA: http://adroth.ph/srdp_roadmap_darpa/

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

israeli

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:29:45 AM »
Sir Adroth, if you are to compare the price tag of the Stunner to that of the Patriot (US$1 million to US$3 million per missile), the Stunner is indeed "low cost". :nuts:

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »
Sir Adroth, if you are to compare the price tag of the Stunner to that of the Patriot (US$1 million to US$3 million per missile), the Stunner is indeed "low cost". :nuts:

EGAD  :jeez:

Your line of thinking is no better than those who advocate AEGIS cruisers and aircraft carriers.

This is the AFP we are talking about Israeli . . . not the armed forces of a 1st world nation. We are no where near a position to afford spending $300K on a weapon system that DOES NOT satisfy the dual-use criteria.

http://timawa.net/forum/index.php/topic,4760.0.html

Lets keep things real.
The campaign to establish a Philippine equivalent to DARPA / DAPA / DSTA: http://adroth.ph/srdp_roadmap_darpa/

israeli

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:15 AM »
sorry Sir Adroth. all i did was just relate the prices of the Stunner and the Patriot.

i am not saying that we get the Stunner. in fact, i posted it here to get the Timawans' reaction about this new system from the Israelis and whether or not this is something worth considering. no more, no less. ;)

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:57:10 AM »
sorry Sir Adroth. all i did was just relate the prices of the Stunner and the Patriot.

Both are single-use systems, and are therefore equally unapplicable. Be it $3M or $300K . . . its still 1 centavo going into an area that does not satisfy the dual-use criteria -- ergo, not applicable to us today, or shortly after 2010.

=== ~~~ ===

The number of borderline fantasy threads are on the rise. Not good . . . not good . . .  :thumbsdown:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:00:52 AM by Adroth »

VISAYANarmy

• ...we're moving on!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
 :bravo: low-cost that is for security's sake ...we really don't have to comment on this matter!!!
 :smoke:...does anyone considers developing our own low-cost air space detecting/entercepting/defence(whatever)system!?
   air defence missile system for us developing nation is such a complicated one,while we are f_cked up by this internal conflicts!
   can we try ourselves? ...some bad things happened on to much reliance on some foreign weaponries! CONSIDER ARGENTINA ON THIS!
    ...TO THE BOTTOM LINE,THE BEST DEFENCE REALLY AGAINST OUTSIDE FORCES IS TO MAINTAIN MANY GOOD FRIENDS.
.......LET'S FINISH FIRST OUR UNFINISHED BUSINESS HERE ON INTERNAL CONFLICTS!!!
BUILD A BETTER ECONOMY,COUNTRY AND WE WILL HAVE NO REASON NOT TO BUILD A WILL DEFENDED TERRITORY ON THIS MOTHERLAND!
        MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!!! (|;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:33:17 PM by VISAYANarmy »
visayan army