Author Topic: BRP Bagong Lakas (PG 102) - Kagitingan class  (Read 15840 times)

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
BRP Bagong Lakas (PG 102) - Kagitingan class
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »
From Janes 2004

=== ~~~ ===

CPIC : Bolstering the Fleet
(taken from the NAVAL JOURNAL Vol1 No.1 June 1983.pp 7-8)

Like most navies of the world, the Philippine Navy concentrates on the protection of the country's territorial waters.  With neither the mandate nor the means to range the world's oceans like the navies of the superpowers, the PN by choice and necessity limits itself to the country's boundaries.

Considering its mission and the country's geography, the PN has for long felt the need for a type of patrolship that is small but powerful, fast and aefficient that can range the open sea and penetrate shallow waters.The PN found thus suitable vessel: the Coastal Patrol and Interdiction Craft (CPIC). Not only does the CPIC posess the desired qualities , it is a type of ship for which the PN has already developed the technological capability to build.

In 1979, the Naval Shipyard at Naval Base Cavite (NBC) buiilt its first CPIC, PG-102 or the BRP BAGONG LAKAS. This patrol craft soon demonstrated its sea and combat worthiness in operations in the south where it stopped or neutralized enemy waterborne movements.  Its manueverability and high speed make it most suitable for operations in moderate to rough seas, in coastal patrol, anti-smuggling, and other law-enforcement activities of the PN.

Since then the other two CPICs have been built with one of them, PG-104 or  BRP BAGONG SILANG to be commisioned on June 21 1983, 2 days before Navy Day.

The latest CPIC to be built has just about the same specifications of its sister ships.  THe hull is semi planing type with  very fine entry for wasy "driving" and minimum pounding.  It has an appreciable flare, giving a good reserve of forward buoyancy and deflection of solid-water and spray.  The midbody is round and has a flat after plane and a slug to give good running characteristics and speed.

Contributing to the CPICs very fine performance is its excellent design where austerity and simplicity are maintained throughout. hull construction is such that structural continuity of the hull girder is preserved so that it can best  resist sea loadings. The main deck is watertight from stem to stern and to shell. Pilothouse steering and propulsion controls  are permitted to arrange one-man controls. Internal and external communications facilities are installed adjacent to the pilot house and make them readily accessible  to the Officer on Watch.  the gunfire control systems detects, acquires, tracks, and engages designated air and surface targets.

The PN now has four CPICs.  The first, PG-101 or BRP KAGITINGAN served as the prototype.  This was followed by PG-102, BRP BAGONG LAKAS, PG-103, BRP KATATAGAN, which was built by the Philippine Dockyards Corporation, and PG-104, BRP BAGONG SILANG.....

:shock:

=== ~~~ ===

Reference Number     743613
Procuring Entity    PHILIPPINE NAVY
Title                            Supply & Delivery of Materials for the Repair of PG-102
Area of Delivery    Cavite

http://www.philgeps.net/GEPS/Tender/SplashBidNoticeAbstractUI.aspx?menuIndex=3&refID=743613&DirectFrom=OpenOpp&Type=agency&BusCatID=0

MR-PNBAC-174-08

Supply & Delivery of Materials for the Repair of PG-102 Php 7,081,000.00

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:30:08 AM by Adroth »
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

Adroth

• Administrator
Re: BRP Bagong Lakas (PG 102) - Kagitingan class
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Sad story of this class' name ship

...the very first ship in the PN that has a semblance of modern weapons system is the BRP Kagitingan(PG-101) which was constructed in a small shipyard in Germany in 1979...prior to it's acquisition, what the PN has are a bunch of WWII-era vessels(WHECs like PF-7,8,10,11,DEs like PF-4,5,6,76, MSFs like PS-70 and 74,PCEs(180 footer) and PCs(170 footer) which are armed by manual and director-controlled 5"/38, 3"/50, 40MM and 20MM guns.

PG-101 has 2 twin 30MM Emerlec guns that are controlled by an Elsag NA10 Mod0 fire control system which uses an Orion10X fire control radar...this is something new for the PN because for the first time, personnel has to learn how a modern weapons system works...just an illustration, the 30MM gun mount is not manned, the operator works in a console in the operation room where a radar display shows when a target is locked on and a CCTV shows the actual target,the stabilized mount(using an anschutz vertical gyro) automatically adjust and point to the target regardless of the roll and pitch of the ship and an alarm sounds when the target is within firing range .. I was one of the 4 officers and several EM who were sent to Italy and Germany for six months to study these systems and I eventually commanded the ship in 1980.

When I last visited the PN specifically the base in Cavite in 2004, I saw the rusty hull of PG-101 which was already decommisioned with it's guns removed but the FC radar antenna still there...we spent millions of dollars in this ship and it's sister PG-102 but the PN, it seems, is unable to maintain it...maintenance involved trained personnel and availability of parts and these are more pronounced for newer systems all of which have extensive electronics and computerized components...even if we have trained personnel but the parts needed are not available, then ships and systems can not be properly maintained... the older gun systems are all mechanically operated and except for regular oiling/cleaning, there's not much that need to be done...I know the staff at HPN knows the importance of this, so I will not second guess them.

aldebaran

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:31:03 AM by Adroth »

djbaracudz

• sea dog
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »
sir adroth, good day po sa 'yo and to all timawans. Bago lang pong join and already took the opportunity to reply on this particular thread. Kasi po interested po ako sa locally built boat ng Philippine Navy. Isa po akong ofw ( sea-based ) at member ng engine department. Ito po bang Kagitingan-Class ay steel-hulled or made of other materials? Hinahanap ko po kasi dito sa forum ang mga topics tungkol dito sa particular vessel pero di ko po makita ( yon po ay noong Guest pa lang po ako ). Yun pong main engine nya, what type and hp? Censya na po sa pangungulet. Thanks in advance sa reply... Mabuhay po kayo :bravo:   :beer:
djbaracudz

aldebaran

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
The hull of PG-101 and 102 is made of marine grade mild steel while the superstructure is made of marine aluminum alloy(I don't know the specific grade)...they have two MTU engines, 16 cylinders rated at almost 2000 hp each(I can't recall the exact model but it sounds like 16V538 ?)...the hull and superstructure of PG-101 looks a little better than 102 because it was made in Germany where the quality of steel and aluminum adheres to the standard...the plates used in 102 were procured locally and I don't know whether the naval shipyard has the facilities to test factors like tensile strength, yield strength etc.... I hope this helps

aldebaran

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum djbaracudz.  :beer:

Thanks for chiming in sir Aldebaran. Looking forward to more insights.  :thumbsup:

djbaracudz

• sea dog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
The hull of PG-101 and 102 is made of marine grade mild steel while the superstructure is made of marine aluminum alloy(I don't know the specific grade)...they have two MTU engines, 16 cylinders rated at almost 2000 hp each(I can't recall the exact model but it sounds like 16V538 ?)...the hull and superstructure of PG-101 looks a little better than 102 because it was made in Germany where the quality of steel and aluminum adheres to the standard...the plates used in 102 were procured locally and I don't know whether the naval shipyard has the facilities to test factors like tensile strength, yield strength etc.... I hope this helps

aldebaran
Sir Aldebaran thnks for the info. I thought naval boat uses steel other the mild steel  config. Although it's marine grade, mild steel pa rin pala sya. As for the superstructure, kaya nyang tumagal for years alaga lang sa pintura. Wow ang main engine pala nya ay high speed considering the 16 cylinder arrangement. Malamang direct coupled ito sa propeller shaft or if I'm wrong merong syang gear box(es). What do think sir. Again sir , thanks po sa info. May natutunan na naman ako sa araw na 'to.  :beer:
djbaracudz

djbaracudz

• sea dog
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum djbaracudz.  :beer:

Thanks for chiming in sir Aldebaran. Looking forward to more insights.  :thumbsup:
Sir Adroth, thank you po sa welcome ninyo. Natalon ang puso ko kasi welcome po ako dito sa Timawa. Naunahan po kayo ni Sir Aldebaran :beer:
djbaracudz

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
How true is it that MTU engines are more expensive compared with Caterpillar?  And that most of our navy's MTU engine are suffering from spare parts deficiency due to the high cost?

Anyone has insights on this?
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

djbaracudz

• sea dog
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
How true is it that MTU engines are more expensive compared with Caterpillar?  And that most of our navy's MTU engine are suffering from spare parts deficiency due to the high cost?

Anyone has insights on this?
Sir 40, I think the reason why MTU engines are more epensive than Caterpillar engine is that it doesn't have any local distributor here in the Philippines. Unlike Caterpillar which have local branches here, prices were lower. MTU has service/distributing center somewhere here in southeast asia but not in the Philippines.I'm not sure about that one sir.
djbaracudz

frank

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
Gents,

With the internet available for the past 10 years in the AFP.  They can look up parts supplies anywhere in the world.
But there may be a problem when procuring parts, other than they won't accept credit cards or paypal from the Philippines....

Try it your self.  Search for prices and availability from suppliers.  Factor shipping and etc.  If you request CIF (Customs, Insurance and Freight) included in the price.  It may be quite different.  Particularly when the parts are inspected by Phil Customs. So you may have to select your port of entry.  Subic, Clark, South Harbor, etc.

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
Gents,

With the internet available for the past 10 years in the AFP.  They can look up parts supplies anywhere in the world.
But there may be a problem when procuring parts, other than they won't accept credit cards or paypal from the Philippines....

Try it your self.  Search for prices and availability from suppliers.  Factor shipping and etc.  If you request CIF (Customs, Insurance and Freight) included in the price.  It may be quite different.  Particularly when the parts are inspected by Phil Customs. So you may have to select your port of entry.  Subic, Clark, South Harbor, etc.

With government acquisition rules being the way they are Frank . . . it is not that simple.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:19:45 PM by Adroth »

aldebaran

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »
Sir Aldebaran thnks for the info. I thought naval boat uses steel other the mild steel  config. Although it's marine grade, mild steel pa rin pala sya. As for the superstructure, kaya nyang tumagal for years alaga lang sa pintura. Wow ang main engine pala nya ay high speed considering the 16 cylinder arrangement. Malamang direct coupled ito sa propeller shaft or if I'm wrong merong syang gear box(es). What do think sir. Again sir , thanks po sa info. May natutunan na naman ako sa araw na 'to.  :beer:

These are high speed engines so they are coupled to ZF gear boxes or reduction gears to reduce propeller shaft RPM...according to my brother who served at N-4 before his retirement in 2004, there is an authorized MTU agent but they don't stock parts locally but only order them once a PO is approved - that makes them expensive

aldebaran

djbaracudz

• sea dog
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
Sir Aldebaran, since you commanded the PG-101 in the late 80's, did your men somewhat do deck work like chipping of rusty deck, supports, etc. like we do here on merchant ships? Or the navy leave that part when naval boat is scheduled for drydock? I'm just wondering sir. Idon't have that much knowhow how our navy does its maintenance.The Kagitingan-class boats sir, believe me, is one boat I'm proud because the second one was done here  though it have some technical defficiency. How about that sir. :)
djbaracudz

frank

PG 102 pictures from the late LT. Antonio A. Ortega Jr PN
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
These are pictures from the family of the late Lt. Antonio A. Ortega Jr. when he was an Ensign aboard PG-102.
He was a graduate of the USNA.  A note from his family when they sent me the images.

"That ship was very special to him and the famly is comforted by the fact that it will be restored and retained by the PN.

His service with RPS Bagong Lakas was the best and most memorable prior to his ill-fated assignment with BRP 76, Datu Kalantiaw.

They are some photos of the crew, my brother is in one of them wearing glasses, plus other  post-battle damage against Moro speed boats."

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »
Nice one Frank.  :beer:

These ship-specific threads were specifically designed to give former crew members a place to share their thoughts and memories about their boats.

Thanks for sharing and for passing this on.