Author Topic: RA 9522: Archipelagic Baselines of the Philippines  (Read 18339 times)

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
RA 9522: Archipelagic Baselines of the Philippines
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »
Republic Act No. 9522
An Act to Amend Certain Provisions of Republic Act No. 3046, as Amended by Republic Act No. 5446, to Define the Archipelagic Baselines of the Philippines, and for Other Purposes Approved by the President on March 10, 2009

http://inquirer.cdnetworks.us/inquirer/media/baselines-law.pdf
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

pearl21

Re: RA 9522: Archipelagic Baselines of the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:08:52 AM »
short clip explaining a about baseline .....

QTV: Analysis: What's the big deal about the Baseline Law?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:11:03 AM by pearl21 »

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Official Congressional copy: http://www.congress.gov.ph/download/ra_14/RA09522.pdf

=== ~~~ ===

Regarding a "regime of islands"

Sec. 2 The baselines in the following areas over which the Philippines likewise exercises sovereignty and jurisdiction shall be determined as "Regime of Islands" under the Republic of the Philippines consistent with Article 121 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)

a) The Kalayaan Island Group as constituted under Presidential Decree No. 1596; and

b) Bajo de Masinloc, also known as Scarborough Shoal

Hussar

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:29 AM »
I just came across this one...

THE BASELINE ISSUE
A position paper
By: Senator Antonio F. Trillanes IV

Read here: http://baselineissue.blogspot.com/
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
I just came across this one...

THE BASELINE ISSUE
A position paper
By: Senator Antonio F. Trillanes IV

Read here: http://baselineissue.blogspot.com/

Also discussed here Mr. H  :beer:

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=12286.0

===== ~~~ =====

The law has been submitted to the UN in accordance with the following UNCLOS provisions:

http://www.un.org/Depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/backgroud_deposit.htm

1. Coastal States, under article 16, paragraph 2, article 47, paragraph 9, article 75, paragraph 2, and article 84, paragraph 2, of the Convention, are required to deposit with the Secretary-General of the United Nations charts showing straight baselines and archipelagic baselines as well as the outer limits of the territorial sea, the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf; alternatively, the lists of geographical coordinates of points, specifying the geodetic datum, may be substituted. Coastal States are also required to give due publicity to all these charts and lists of geographical coordinates. Furthermore, under article 76, paragraph 9, coastal States are required to deposit with the Secretary-General charts and relevant information permanently describing the outer limits of the continental shelf extending beyond 200 nautical miles. In this case, due publicity is to be given by the Secretary-General. Together with the submission of their charts and/or lists of geographical coordinates, States parties are required to provide appropriate information regarding original geodetic datum.

The law was cited here:

Philippine submission to UN in compliance with UNCLOS

Hussar

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
Has anyone thought of putting the baselines on Google Earth?  If someone is kind enough to share the .kml files.   :angel:
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

O-4794

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
Monday, August 15, 2011

MANILA -- The Environment department announced Monday that the Philippines may take possession of Benham Rise, an area larger than Luzon and Panay island combined believed to have mineral and gas deposits, by next year.

Environment Secretary Ramon Paje told the Senate finance committee Monday that the department is readying all documents and requirements that it will present to the United Nations commission handling the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos) by June 2012.

Paje will petition the UN commission himself.

The Philippines is the sole claimant of Benham Rise, which it claimed in 2009. It is found off the coast of Aurora province and is part of the Philippine continental shelf and its exclusive economic zone.

He said solidified methane was found during mapping activities in the area. Paje added "probability is very high" that the rise also contains oil deposits.

Senator Franklin Drilon, committee chairman, said once the UN gives the Philippines control of the underwater plateau, it can offer operating and exploratory rights for private investors. He said the area may have enough gas to make the country self-sufficient in its energy needs, and even "to export in the future."

The Benham Rise has an area of 13 million hectares and is 40 meters underwater at its shallowest point. (Jonathan de Santos/Sunnex)

Another set of good news for all Filipinos  :thumbsup:

O-4794

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »
UN to decide on Phl claim on 13-M hectare Benham Rise
By Marvin Sy (The Philippine Star) Updated August 16, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (1)   

MANILA, Philippines -  Environment Secretary Ramon Paje disclosed yesterday that the United Nations is expected to come out with a decision by the middle of next year on the Philippines’ undisputed claim over the 13- million hectare Benham Rise, an underwater plateau off the eastern coast of Luzon, that would pave the way for the exploration of natural gas deposits in the area.

Paje told the Senate yesterday during a hearing on the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) proposed P16.990- billion budget for 2012 that the country’s claim over Benham Rise, an extinct volcanic ridge off the eastern seaboard of Luzon, would be recognized by the UN as part of the territory and extension of the continental shelf of the Philippines.

The Philippines filed the claim in 2008 in compliance with the requirements of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Paje said the Benham Rise covers around 13 million hectares or roughly the size of the entire Luzon, Samar and Leyte.

He said that there is evidence of mineral and gas deposits in Benham Rise like those found in Reed Bank in the West Philippine Sea near the Shell-operated Malampaya natural gas field in Palawan.

Paje said that there are confirmed gas deposits at Benham Rise with the discovery of solid methane in the area.

Once the UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf approves the country’s claim on Benham Rise, Paje said that the Department of Energy (DOE) could start issuing contracts for exploration projects for natural gas.

Senate committee on finance chairman Franklin Drilon clarified that the decision by the UN would give the government legal basis to enter into exploration agreements with private companies for gas and mineral deposits.

Paje bared that aside from Malampaya, there are current explorations in the Sulu-Celebes Sea and the Reed Bank.

He said that the potential for the country to become self sufficient as far as its power requirements are concerned is very high because of the DENR’s belief that there are significant gas deposits all over the country’s territories.

“We have always said that this country could provide for its own energy source with the 200 miles exclusive economic zone that we have. We have 240 million hectares now of water and continental shelf and 30 million hectares of land. We believe that there are substantial deposits anywhere,” Paje said.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=63&articleId=717237

masq

SC: Baselines Law constitutional
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-

toysoldier89

• TOO close for comfort
Supreme Court upholds PHL 2009 Baselines Law
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:22:15 AM »
The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld the constitutionality of the Philippine Archipelagic Baselines Law, which critics claimed “weakens" the country’s territorial claim to parts of the contested Spratly Islands.

In an en banc session, the magistrates struck down for lack of merit the petition of University of the Philippines (UP) professors and international law experts Merlin Magallona and Harry Roque Jr. opposing Republic Act 9522 — signed in 2009.

According to highly placed sources, the justices came up with a “unanimous" vote in favor of the previous administration
more on here:--->http://ph.news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-upholds-phl-2009-baselines-law-123407794.html

tonying101@TMW

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
Out of all the islands and reefs that the Philippines claims, how many still do we have?, Recent news says that some Islands in Spratlys that RP claims was already been occupied by China

Firenzi

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:53 AM »

Enrile accuses Trillanes of copying bills

By Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines –Senate President Juan Ponce-Enrile on Sunday accused Senator Antonio Trillanes IV of copying the bills that he filed in the chamber, saying the latter could not even pass a bill of his own.

In response to Enrile’s attack, Trillanes challenged the Senate President to file an ethics case against him.

Enrile made the allegation in an interview over a radio station when told about Trillanes’ claim, through his chief of staff, Reynaldo Robles, that the former rebel-soldier was the principal author of the Philippine Archipelagic Baselines Law.

In an apparent attempt to justify his boss’ role in the back-channel negotiations between the government and China over the disputed Scarborough Shoal, Robles claimed that Trillanes was the principal author of the law.

“Sya? E ako ang gumawa ng baseline law. Kinopya pati nya yung ang anti-trust law ko na hindi man lang humingi ng permiso sa akin e. Kinokopya lang nya yung mga bills na pina-file nya (Him? But I was the one who made the baseline law?  He even copied my anti-trust law without getting my permission. He only copies other’s bills and files them as his own),” Enrile said.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/284662/enrile-accuses-trillanes-of-copying-bills?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

" Unhappy is the land that needs a hero "

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

"Being gullible by supporting the corrupted status quo, is tragic.

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

Firenzi

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
Out of all the islands and reefs that the Philippines claims, how many still do we have?, Recent news says that some Islands in Spratlys that RP claims was already been occupied by China

We still have 10 islands and some reefs left but we may lose some reefs if our government cannot patrol / guard all these
territory.  Even Malaysia is watching and ready to grab Rizal Reef (Commodore Reef) once our soldiers leave that reef.

" Unhappy is the land that needs a hero "

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

"Being gullible by supporting the corrupted status quo, is tragic.

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

pansit_kanton

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 06:29:07 PM »
Has anyone thought of putting the baselines on Google Earth?  If someone is kind enough to share the .kml files.   :angel:

Sir H!

i had a lot of time on my hands and i read your past post. i made the kmz file (if no one has done it yet), but i don't know how to share a file here. here is a snapshot of what i did:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i'd gladly share the kmz if only i could know how to. thanks!

Hussar

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
Sir H!

i had a lot of time on my hands and i read your past post. i made the kmz file (if no one has done it yet), but i don't know how to share a file here. here is a snapshot of what i did:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i'd gladly share the kmz if only i could know how to. thanks!

Thanks for sharing this.  I believe the .kmz can be bunched into one file, and you can share it as an attachment here.