Author Topic: Archipelagic Sea Lanes in order to regulate the passage of foreign vessels  (Read 7505 times)

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
Philippine Archipelagic Sea Lanes Act
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
Senate Bill 2738

PHILIPPINE ARCHIPELAGIC SEA LANES ACT   

AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE ARCHIPELAGIC SEA LANES IN THE PHILIPPINE ARCHIPELAGIC WATERS, PRESCRIBING THE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF FOREIGN SHIPS AND AIRCRAFT EXERCISING THE RIGHT OF ARCHIPELAGIC SEA LANES PASSAGE THROUGH THE ESTABLISHED ARCHIPELAGIC SEA LANES AND PROVIDING FOR THE ASSOCIATED PROTECTIVE MEASURES THEREIN

Introduced by Sen Antonio F. Trillanes IV

http://202.57.33.10/plis/data/109359325!.pdf

Summary

. . . a proposed measure entitled "An Act Defining the Archipelagic Baselines of the Philippine Archipelago . . . became Republic Act No. 9522 . . .

< Edited >

Though RA No. 9522 provided the delineation of the archipelagic baselines of the Philippines, it failed, on the other hand, to provide and establish the archipelagic sea lanes of the Philippines as espoused in Article 53 of the UNCLOS. This proposed measure, therefore, seeks to establish archipelagic sea lanes in the Philippine archipelagic waters, prescribing the rights and obligation of foreign ships and aircraft exercises the right of archipelagic passage through the established archipelagic sea lanes and providing for the associated measures therein.

=====

Archipelagic Sea Lane 1: Philippine Sea - Balintang Channel - South China Sea

Archipelagic Sea Lane 2:  Philippine Sea - Surigao Strait - Bohol Sea - Sulu Sea - Nasubata Channel - Balabac Strait - South China Sea

Archipelagic Sea Lane 3: Celebes Sea - Basilan Strait - Sulu Sea - Mindoro Strait - South China Sea

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:58:03 AM by Adroth »
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

Firenzi

Re: Archipelagic Sea Lanes in order to regulate the passage of foreign vessels
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »
The introduction of Archipelagic Sea Lanes will help the Philippines to protect
our archipelago from terrorist, poachers, drug smugglers, gun-runners and etc.

At the present time foreign vessels from neighboring Asian countries can pass
anywhere in our archipelagic waters without anybody questioning them of their
activities and their intention in entering Philippine waters.

With the introduction of Archipelagic Sea Lanes and enhanced Coast Watch Stations
that should be established in the exit / entry point of our ASL, like in Apo East Pass
in the west coast of Mindoro, in the southern tip of Antique Province in Panay, in
the southern tip of Negros island, and in Suluan island in Surigao Strait, then we have
less worries and not so much apprehensive that our enemy is sailing undected in our
archipelagic territorial waters.  

There is already Coast Watch Stations in Balabac and Zamboanga so we just
need additional in Apo East Pass in Mindoro, in souther tip of Panay and Negros,
and in Suluan island in Surigao Strait.

Below is the Chart of Macassar Strait where there is an Indonesia Archipelagic Sea Lanes.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:12:07 PM by Firenzi »
" Unhappy is the land that needs a hero "

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

"Being gullible by supporting the corrupted status quo, is tragic.

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
At the present time foreign vessels from neighboring Asian countries can pass anywhere in our archipelagic waters without anybody questioning them of their activities and their intention in entering Philippine waters.

As we've already covered earlier in this discussion (I was hoping you'd remember, but either you forgot or you went into propaganda mode again), the issue is not that black and white.

First of all, the Philippines is not without recourse when it comes to protesting the presence of a foreign ship in our waters. As per UNCLOS

12. If an archipelagic State does not designate sea lanes or air routes, the right of archipelagic sea lanes passage may be exercised through the routes normally used for international navigation.

While there are no direct stipulation as to what constitutes a route that is "normally used for international navigation", so it is open for interpretation, the spirit of the law gives the state the right to object to ships that are not where they ought not to be.

In the absence of an ASL, vessels can transit our waters according to the "Innocent passage" regime. This regime, however, can be suspended. So we are allowed to keep vessels out. With an ASL, however, we are lose that option.

All vessels, including warships, enjoy the right of innocent passage through archipelagic waters, but the archipelagic state may temporarily suspend innocent passage, on a non-discriminatory basis, through specified areas when the suspension is essential for the protection of the state's security. Innocent passage requires a vessel to conduct continuous and expeditious transit in a manner that is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the archipelagic state.

An archipelagic state may designate ASL, and corresponding air routes, which are suitable for continuous and expeditious passage through the archipelago. Article 53(9) of LOSC requires a cooperative approach between the archipelagic state and the international community before ASLs can be formally promulgated. If it wishes to designate ASLs, the archipelagic state must refer the proposal to the 'competent international organisation' with a view to their adoption. That organisation may only adopt such ASLs as may be agreed with the archipelagic state, after which the archipelagic state may designate them.

Designation of an ASL is a requirement of our membership in UNCLOS, and we like what you said, the PN needs to step up its monitoring capabilities of these lanes to ensure compliance.

Let us not oversimply the issue what a sweeping statement that ignores the intricacies of the issue.

Firenzi

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
Last 30th January I have sighted a foreign Submarine  in Sibuto Passage in Tawi Tawi Province.
The submarine could be either PRC Chinese or Malaysian submarine spying on our territory or
the submarine was just "on innocent passage" to Indonesia.

There is a PN Naval Station in Bongao. Also there is a Philippine Navy Coastwatch Station in Bongao island
monitoring the maritime traffic in Sibuto Passage and vicinity in Tawi Tawi Province.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:38:19 AM by Firenzi »

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
Last 30th January I have sighted a foreign Submarine  in Sibuto Passage in Tawi Tawi Province.
The submarine could be either PRC Chinese or Malaysian submarine spying on our territory or

A submarine on the surface isn't of much use as an espionage tool.

Just the same . . . great photo.

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

That looks like a KRI 'Cakra' class Indonesia submarine. "402" I suppose instead of '432'?

Timawa post by onlyaudrey : Sea Trial 402 Nanggala Class after Overhaul in South Korea
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:16:17 PM by 40niner_com »
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

CatsMeow@TMW

• Professional Skeptic
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
It's the ones we don't see that we should be worried about.
MY GARDEN IS SMALLER THAN YOUR ROME, BUT MY PILUM IS HARDER THAN YOUR STERNUM

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »

QFT  :beer:

israeli

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
@ Firenzi: great photo of that sub. :)

i was wondering if this photo already reached the attention of the Yellow media in this country. they might make something out of your photo, if ever.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:43:06 PM by israeli »
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
The DND's New Media office has it now.

onlyaudrey@TMW

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
that is Indonesia submarine KRI NANGGALA 402 on the way back to Indonesia after overhaul in south korea. no submarines spying in a floating state. lol @firenzi thx for the picture..
as indonesian..im never meet with this submarine..whos that lucky pinoy take this picture ? WELCOME BACK 402 NANGGALA..  :bravo:

talent_ed

• The Truth will shine brightest.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:10 AM »
According to international maritime law, submarines within the territorial waters of another country Must surface.  This submarine whichever country it belongs to is respecting that law.
Ah, Engineering Courses in PMA, success! Thank you

CAPABILITY-based acquisition not Availability based.

onlyaudrey@TMW

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »
According to international maritime law, submarines within the territorial waters of another country Must surface.  This submarine whichever country it belongs to is respecting that law.

totaly agree with you friend... These submarines are being driven a long distance from Korea to Indonesia.

paul1

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »
I cant help my self of thinking something like why dont our law makers pass bill that generates money not like laws which require spending money. For example lots of merchant vessel is using our sea route just like Balabac strait or else. They can pass a law that pilotage is compulsory not only it will generate money lots of job. Balabac strait is only an easy example my Captain said there is a lot of international vessel is using our territorial water even inland just to cut off fuel cost.

Firenzi

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »

Please see my blog posting about the Indonesian submarine " KRI NANGGALA 402 "  that passed the
Philippine's  ASL on their voyage from South Korea to Indonesia.

The photos of Indonesian submarine " KRI NANGGALA 402 " and views of Bongao Island of Tawi Tawi Province

http://jibraelangel2blog.blogspot.com/2012/02/photos-of-indonesian-submarine-kri.html

- Mark Twain  "