Author Topic: latest acquisitions of the afp  (Read 4218 times)

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
latest acquisitions of the afp
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:20:14 AM »
Main News 

Email this article
 Printer friendly page

US donates 9 vessels to Philippine Navy

MANILA, Dec 5 (PNA) – The United States donated on Tuesday nine vessels to the Philippine Navy (PN) to bolster the deployment capability of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

US ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Anne Kenney formally turned over to Vice Admiral Rogelio Calunsag, PN flag officer in command, seven Naval Utility Boats (NUB) and two Boston Whalers at ceremonies held at the PN Headquarters on Roxas Boulevard here.

The latest addition to the navy’s inventory is a major leap in its capability upgrade program since procuring new floating assets has been the greatest challenge facing its leadership today because of budgetary constraints that has held back its next procurement until 2017, Calunsag said.

The PN chief said that the NUBs will be deployed to the Philippine Fleet, the Inshore Boat Battalion of the Philippine Marine Corps, Naval Forces Central, Naval Forces West, Naval Base Cavite and the Naval Sea Systems Command.

“These new assets will be employed to boost maritime security and serve as an overall drive to develop a strong and credible Navy that the nation can depend on,” he said.

The donation was part of the commitment by the US to support the AFP’s upgrade capability program.

They are designed for general purpose personnel transport, utility operations and supply transport that may be used as a ship’s boat or during inshore mobilization.

The boats are made of durable fiber glass material. Each vessel can accommodate 45 personnel. Measuring 33 X 10 feet, its cruising speed of 13 knots is powered by Cummins Marine Diesel engine. It is economical with a consumption rate of 2.5 nautical miles per gallon.

During stealth operations, the NUB can slip away from enemy detection.

The Navy has to explore unconventional means of acquiring new assets.

NUBs will also be used for riverine security operations and as a transport craft fitted for the Philippine setting which is an archipelago with 7,107 islands.

Calunsag described the US government’s kind gestures as an indication of support to their common thrust and shared goals in securing a more stable and peaceful region.

He added that the Philippine Navy is trying to bridge the gap with other Southeast Asian navies in the acquisition of ships.

He also commended Colonel Mathias Velasco, the Chief of the Joint United States Military Assistance Group(JUSMAG), for helping the acquisition of the vessels. (PNA)

http://www.positivenewsmedia.net/am2/publish/Main_News_1/US_donates_9_vessels_to_Philippine_Navy.shtml
"Col. Jis op: You can't handle the truth!!!!"
"4threich: You can't even handle your wife.. :P"

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
Re: latest acquisitions of the afp
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
take note that  (boats) are :) made of fiber glass material...

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:48:38 AM »
"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
First reported December 2007.

Some of these boats were actually assigned to the PMC Inshore Boat Battalion.

New assets for this battalion

Before

After

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:01:01 AM by Adroth »
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »
sorry my mistake,
too excited to read it the 2nd time...
done in haste...
honest mistake sirs.... :bash:

trying to point out the fiber glass hull...
read from another thread about the marcelo patrol boats
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:26:46 PM by 4threich »

gritpaladin

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
40 footer Marcelo patrol boats hull are of Fiberglass material too just like this one but this one is slow at 13knots compared to the Marcelo boats that can cruise at 40knots.

I think the Fiberglass material used for these Boston whalers can withstand up to 7.62mm bullets.

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
40 footer Marcelo patrol boats hull are of Fiberglass material too just like this one but this one is slow at 13knots compared to the Marcelo boats that can cruise at 40knots.

I think the Fiberglass material used for these Boston whalers can withstand up to 7.62mm bullets.

Here's the latest

Further tests have been done to prove how unsinkable the boats really are, March 2007 a 19' Guardian was shot with 1000 rounds from a Barrett .50 caliber Rifle. The boat while full of holes, did not sink. The engine was unable to be started due to being destroyed during the test.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Boston_Whaler

"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

jetmech

• MBAC 21
  • Go Ugly Early!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »

...keyword, "utility boats", or as we called them "liberty boats" and that's what they do, nothing fancy.  The rocky ride back to the ship if you're really wasted (drunk) will not be pleasant.
I slept & dreamt that life was happiness.
I awoke & saw that life was service.
I served & found that in service, happiness is found.
                                              Tagore (1861-1941)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"You have to land here, son. This is where the food is."  Approach Magazine (LSO edition)

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
...keyword, "utility boats", or as we called them "liberty boats" and that's what they do, nothing fancy.  The rocky ride back to the ship if you're really wasted (drunk) will not be pleasant.
serves you right for taking too much liberties with liberty. :lol:
Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

jetmech

• MBAC 21
  • Go Ugly Early!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:29:42 AM »
serves you right for taking too much liberties with liberty. :lol:

...especially if you have to explain to the OOD on the quarterdeck why you're missing the "dixie cup" white hat with your dress uniform on. :beer:
                                              Tagore (1861-1941)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"You have to land here, son. This is where the food is."  Approach Magazine (LSO edition)

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »
...especially if you have to explain to the OOD on the quarterdeck why you're missing the "dixie cup" white hat with your dress uniform on. :beer:

gasp! what an affront, sailor.  off ya go to be keel-hauled! :lol:
Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

jetmech

• MBAC 21
  • Go Ugly Early!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 01:31:08 AM »
....was worth the trouble, though. But that's another story.
                                              Tagore (1861-1941)

romzz

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 04:13:18 AM »
I've never experienced riding on the Boston Whaler type of Liberty Boat in my navy career. I thought those fancy ferry boats overseas are the so called "Liberty Boats" or "Party boats" that can haul over 100 passengers at a time, some with a snack bar on board :beer:

jetmech

• MBAC 21
  • Go Ugly Early!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
I've never experienced riding on the Boston Whaler type of Liberty Boat in my navy career. I thought those fancy ferry boats overseas are the so called "Liberty Boats" or "Party boats" that can haul over 100 passengers at a time, some with a snack bar on board :beer:

...kasi "Yankee Station" ang regular "box" nyo.  Anyway, the utility/boston/liberty boat experience did not happen overseas. Anchorage, AK was one (& memorable) because of the notorious tidal changes in the area.
                                              Tagore (1861-1941)

xyzseaman

• Starving Artiste
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
I think our Captain's Gig was a Boston Whaler. Not sure.
Personal Illustration Site: http://stirfriedpencils.blogspot.com

PDFF