Author Topic: WW2 Sherman Dredged from Manila Bay  (Read 13525 times)

Tora^2

• In Altum Vola
WW2 Sherman Dredged from Manila Bay
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:51:42 AM »
There was transport  that sank  off what is now Baseco that sank during the battle of Manila?

WWII tank found at bottom of Manila Bay

By Marlon Ramos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 18:03:00 09/23/2009

Filed Under: history

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine Coast Guard inspected on Wednesday a 65-year-old battle tank, which a private contractor of the Pasig River rehabilitation project accidentally dug up off Manila's South Harbor over the weekend.

Commander Armand Balilo, Coast Guard spokesperson, said personnel of Kwan Sing Construction Corp. recovered the Sherman M4-A1 tank while doing dredging activities near the breakwater in Baseco Compound, Tondo early Saturday.

According to Balilo, the tank was commonly used by the US military during World War II.

Fearing that the tank still contained explosives, he said barge operator Alex Froilan immediately informed the Coast Guard about their find.

"When we checked on it, we found several bullets for Garand rifles inside the tank," Balilo told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Balilo said the recovery of the tank may support the belief of some residents that a US military ship sank in the area at the height of the battle between the US and Japan.

He noted that a vintage cannon was also discovered in the same spot two months ago.

Balilo said the tank would be brought to the Coast Guard headquarters in Pier 15 on Thursday for safekeeping.

"We will immediately inform US embassy officials and the National Historical Institute because they might be interested with the tank," Balilo said.
Code of a Timawan

Sir,

A Timawan does not lie, does not spam, does not flame nor tolerate any of those who do so and a Timawan must cite his sources in his post,

Sir

“Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” - Prof. Edward Teller

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

I support Heidi Mendoza

Sabra

• My Country, Right or Wrong..
WW2 Sherman retrieved from Manila Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »

Coast Guard personnel inspect Wednesday the rusty remains of a sunken WWII Sherman M4 tank retrieved from Manila Bay last Saturday. Danny Pata

http://www.gmanews.tv/index.html
…The Filipino, it seems, has lost his soul, his dignity, and his courage. We have come upon a phase of our history when ideals are only a veneer for greed and power, (in public and private affairs) when devotion to duty and dedication to a public trust are to be weighted at all times against private advantages and personal gain, and when loyalties can be traded. …Our government is in the iron grip of venality, its treasury is barren, its resources are wasted, its civil service is slothful and indifferent, its armed forces demoralized and its councils sterile., We are in crisis...

President Ferdinand Edralin Marcos

"Taking into account the disadvantages they have to fight against in terms of arms, equipment and military discipline, without artillery, short of ammunition, powder inferior, shells reloaded until they are defective, they are the bravest men I have ever seen...

General Henry W. Lawton on the Filipino Soldier

"Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

israeli

Re: WW2 Sherman retrieved from Manila Bay
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
US Sherman tank dredged from Manila Bay more than 60 years after World War II
Associated Press
09/23/09 5:50 AM EDT

MANILA, PHILIPPINES — The Philippine coast guard says the wreckage of a U.S. tank has been dredged from Manila Bay's muddy seafloor more than 60 years after the end of World War II.

Spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Armand Balilo said Wednesday the M4A1 Sherman tank was accidentally discovered Saturday stuck in mud 15 to 20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of Pasig River.

Balilo says there appears to be no human remains inside the tank. It was discovered without its turret and tracks.

He says a Japanese 105 mm cannon was recovered nearby in July.

Manila was the scene of heavy fighting between U.S. and Japanese forces during the liberation of the Philippines in 1945, and war-era arms and ammunition have been found in the city.
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

Jaizon MCA

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
That sure made my day! :D
Tank overhaul anyone!?
I wonder what's more that lies under Manila Bay?
"If everyone could just have one, No longer will be apreciated by anyone"-Authenticity
"Mabuhay Ang Sariling Atin!"

shakesayad

Vessel dredging Pasig River recovers World War II vintage tank
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:08 AM »

By Evelyn Macairan (The Philippine Star) Updated September 24, 2009 12:00 AM 

A vessel dredging the mouth of the Pasig River as part of the river rehabilitation program accidentally struck and recovered last Saturday a submerged World War II vintage battle tank that had sunk in Manila Bay.

Lieutenant Commander Armand Balilo, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) spokesman who accompanied newsmen to the grab dredger vessel G/D Waling-Waling that was conducting operations 10 kilometers off the Bataan Shipping Co. (Baseco) compound in Tondo, Manila, said the Waling-Waling, which is operated by sub-contractor Kwan Sing Construction Corp., discovered the sunken Sherman M4-A1 tank at around 2 a.m. last Sept. 19.

The tank, covered by mud and silt, was later transferred to the Kwan Sing’s direct barge D/B Naghahari.

Kwan Sing construction manager Alex Andres said that their crane, which has the capacity to haul 40-tons, pulled out the solid steel tank estimated to weigh 10 tons.

“We did not expect to find a tank in the operation. We would turn it over to the PCG because of its historical value to the country,” said Andres.

The PCG sought the guidance of the National Museum on what to do with the remnants of the tank.

Balilo said that this was the first time that a battle tank was fished out from Manila Bay.

Balilo also disclosed that the dredging firm also recovered last July 25 a war vintage 105 Howitzer cannon that belonged to the Japanese Navy, also off the Baseco area.

When asked about the possibility of a vintage bomb lying in the waters of Manila Bay, Balilo said: “There are stories that ships sank in Manila Bay during World War II. Maybe a battleship carried the tank. But we have yet to find the ship.”

Balilo said that the sunken ship should be salvaged because it could become a hazard to navigation.

He said the area where the vintage tank and cannon were found is about 10 to 15 meters deep.

“There is no certainty that passing vessels would not hit the submerged vessel, if there is indeed such a ship,” Balilo.

Balilo said there is also the possibility that the dredging vessel might hit vintage bombs lying on the seabed that could explode.

“We could send divers into the water, but even if we send them I doubt if they would be able to see under the murky Manila Bay water and it might cause problems for our divers if their feet get stuck in the silt,” Balilo added.

The PCG said Kwan Sing has been conducting dredging operations for the last three months.

Sabra

• My Country, Right or Wrong..
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jguBnmRnF6XKzxYnvLdR70OJl9_gD9ASULR00

Members of the Philippine Coast Guard look at the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

A member of the Philippine Coast Guard inspects the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Filipino reporters look at the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank, foreground, that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

A member of the Philippine Coast Guard jumps off the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)
…The Filipino, it seems, has lost his soul, his dignity, and his courage. We have come upon a phase of our history when ideals are only a veneer for greed and power, (in public and private affairs) when devotion to duty and dedication to a public trust are to be weighted at all times against private advantages and personal gain, and when loyalties can be traded. …Our government is in the iron grip of venality, its treasury is barren, its resources are wasted, its civil service is slothful and indifferent, its armed forces demoralized and its councils sterile., We are in crisis...

President Ferdinand Edralin Marcos

"Taking into account the disadvantages they have to fight against in terms of arms, equipment and military discipline, without artillery, short of ammunition, powder inferior, shells reloaded until they are defective, they are the bravest men I have ever seen...

General Henry W. Lawton on the Filipino Soldier

"Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

spearhead

• DoctorNO: Your Neutral Observer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »
Ayus. Pandagdag sa museum!  :thumbsup:
"Until philosophers rule as kings or those who are now called kings and leading men genuinely and adequately philosophies, that is, until political power and philosophy entirely coincide, while the many natures who at present pursue either one exclusively are forcibly prevented from doing so, cities will have no rest from evils,... nor, I think, will the human race." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

grey

Re: WW2 Sherman Dredged from Manila Bay
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
tracks and turret are missing,...

Tank overhaul anyone!?

Yama****a Treasure
"If you just did nothing because you believe it won't do any good, Then you'll end up doing less than nothing, For nothing will happen, nothing will change" - Kira Yamato

Bunker Buster

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:49:06 PM »
Tank overhaul anyone!?
More garbage  :lol:
First to fight for rights and freedom-USMC Semper Fi!

jun_aka_pekto

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
Maybe the ship carrying it was sunk by a kamikaze. That or maybe the ship crew jettisoned it upon hearing WW2 was over. Many equipment were simply left behind, destroyed, or jettisoned rather than be shipped back to the US.
2.8ghz Phenom II X3 720 BE 4th core enabled/8gb DDR3 1600/ATI HD 5770/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H/WD 500gb Green SATA 3 HDD/Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit/Diablotek 650w PSU/Aspire X-Cruiser case

jun_aka_pekto

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

The turret maybe?

I'd keep hulks such as this. Restorers will pay a fortune for them. Talking with such people here, original parts can get pretty expensive. One of them said they paid over $50k for a B-17 upper turret (just the top).
2.8ghz Phenom II X3 720 BE 4th core enabled/8gb DDR3 1600/ATI HD 5770/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H/WD 500gb Green SATA 3 HDD/Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit/Diablotek 650w PSU/Aspire X-Cruiser case

...-happy ka na?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
COnsidering there are very few relics of M4 Sherman tanks in the Philippines despite the numerous numbers that were here before, this tank hull should be preserved and let the AFP Museum or NHI take over the aspect of restoring it - as what are done to vehicles recovered/retrieved in Europe by museums.

And yes it is an M4-A1 as evidenced by the very circular front hull and absence of a major weld mold seen in composite hull shermans in the frontal side area of the hull.  No coaxial machinegun - most likely removed prior or immediately after the vessel sunk.

interesting historical find if i may say so.

:shock:

jun_aka_pekto

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
The USN's records show only one ship (minesweeper) was sunk inside Manila Bay in 1945.

USS YMS-48 sunk by shore batteries in Manila Bay, Luzon, Philippine Islands, 14 February 1945.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq82-1.htm

Maybe the turret took a hit. Crews simply disposed of the tank remains.

Jaizon MCA

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »
:lol:
I meant relics such as spossible...
tracks and turret are missing,...

Yama****a Treasure
The USN's records show only one ship (minesweeper) was sunk inside Manila Bay in 1945.

USS YMS-48 sunk by shore batteries in Manila Bay, Luzon, Philippine Islands, 14 February 1945.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq82-1.htm

Maybe the turret took a hit. Crews simply disposed of the tank remains.
How about LCM's LST's or some LSD's? There is a possibility.
"If everyone could just have one, No longer will be apreciated by anyone"-Authenticity
"Mabuhay Ang Sariling Atin!"

Blackhand

• Frustrated panzertruppe
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 02:18:37 AM »
an exploration at Manila bay sounds nice (but it is expensive),,, maybe we can find some very old shipwrecks down there, say from the galleon trade up to the present.  :beer:

What's the half circular metallic object that seem to be protruding from where the turret of the tank should be? Is it the lower part of the turret or just some irrelevant piece of metal?
"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being."
- Kahlil Gibran

“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” - John Quincy Adams