Author Topic: Lt. Col. Antonio Bautista  (Read 3676 times)

Hussar

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
Lt. Col. Antonio Bautista
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
Does anyone know the full story of Lt. Col. Antonio Bautista?  I just read the article of the PAF here: http://www.paf.mil.ph/about-us/1-our-history/616-a-filipino-fighter-pilot.html?showall=1

Is he a PMA graduate or from the PAF OCS?
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

blitzkrieg

Re: Lt. Col. Antonio Bautista
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:17:52 AM »
No he is not. LTC Bautista is a member of class 1958 of the Philippine Air Force Flying School, a former Aviation Cadet. His source of commission is equal to that of the PMA and those who graduated from US Armed Forces Academies as the AFP's first priority source of regular officers. Based on Republic Act 291.

LTC Bautista was killed in action near Jolo Airport on 09 January 1974. His F-86 Sabre was damaged during a strike mission around that area. Upon returning to Jolo Airport, he was unable to land his jet and so he decided to eject over the runway. But unfortunately, when his parachute opened strong winds brought him towards the rebel area near the airport. After descending he fought for his life, UH-1H Hueys (One of them flown by the future Commander of the Philippine Air Force, Benjamin Defensor) and ground troops attempted to rescue LTC Bautista but they were slowed down by fierce resistance. By the time they reached his, he was already dead. In honor of his sacrifice the PAF base at Puerto Princesa, Palawan is  named after him.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:45:42 AM by blitzkrieg »

Hussar

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
Thanks Blitzkrieg for the info.  By the way, there was another Antonio Bautista in the PAF, right? 
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

blitzkrieg

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »
Yes, I think he just recently retired...

Hussar

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
Ah ok.  Thanks for the info.

blitzkrieg

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:23:39 AM »
Additional info Hussar, many of the PAF Bases and installations are named after former flying and aviation cadets.

jayem

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »
May Lt. Col. Antonio Bautista din  sa army na PMA graduate.

COUPmander Yoda

• Testament
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Bautista

Look at his F-86F...lots of servicing stencils!
I believe in the sun...even if it does not shine.  I believe in love...even if I do not feel it.  I believe in God...even if He does not speak.
PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT - OCTOBER 13, 2010.  THANKS!
Personal Messages not welcome!  Please contact through official channels if AFP.

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:19 AM »
Thanks Blitzkrieg for the info.  By the way, there was another Antonio Bautista in the PAF, right? 

Here's one

http://www.afp.mil.ph/oj9/homepage.html
"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

mrstuka

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
LTC Bautista was killed in action near Jolo Airport on 09 January 1974. His F-86 Sabre was damaged during a strike mission around that area. Upon returning to Jolo Airport, he was unable to land his jet and so he decided to eject over the runway. But unfortunately, when his parachute opened strong winds brought him towards the rebel area near the airport. After descending he fought for his life, UH-1H Hueys (One of them flown by the future Commander of the Philippine Air Force, Benjamin Defensor) and ground troops attempted to rescue LTC Bautista but they were slowed down by fierce resistance. By the time they reached his, he was already dead. In honor of his sacrifice the PAF base at Puerto Princesa, Palawan is  named after him.

WOW!!! This post really like a time capsule that sent me back in time..Saw this action personally!!!

I well remember when I replied to one of the thread here the intensity of the COIN in Jolo that brought down few of our Sabre's that many can't believed. I was told that I watched too many hollywood movies!! hahaha  :bash: 

ajrakoni

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
 Point of Correction, LtCol Bautista Was killed on January 11 NOT January 09, 1974.

Lt Col Tony Bautista was part of the following units:
105 CCTS Combat Crew Traing Squdron
6th TFS Cobra
9th TFS Limbas (Squadron Commander)

Aerobatic teams

Blue Diamonds (62-64)- Member under Major Angel Mapua
Golden Sabres (72-73) - Team Leader- composed of pilots from the 9th TFS

1963 Flying Brothers Weapons Group

In the  Jolo arena of operations, he led the joint 7th TFS and 9th TFS Command 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:19:23 PM by ajrakoni »

ajrakoni