Author Topic: The Barangay System  (Read 5787 times)

Hussar

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
The Barangay System
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:28:04 AM »
I just wonder if the Barangay System is still relevant and helpful, or is it just a layer of government that chunks up our budget.

The last time I went to our Barangay was when I wanted to get a clearance and residency certificate before I got married.  Isn't it possible for this service to be handled by the municipality? 

We have about 41,995 Barangays in the country, and all of them have a

(1) Barangay Captain
(7) Kagawad
(1) SK Chairman

All of them are earning their own salaries and get operational budget.  For what?  To what benefit?  Maybe it's time to review this Barangay System.

Me thinks the Barangay System is merely giving more benefit to the political patrons of the Barangay officials - which are the local oligarchial family, and this comes into play very much during election period.  The Barangay Captain promises to deliver the votes, the patron becomes Congressman, and his brother, cousin, wife is the Governor, and the favor then is returned during the term of office.  Pagawa ng basketball court, welcome arch - all useless projects that are mere billboards to post one's name for the next election.

I maybe wrong, and maybe others have a better experience with their Barangays.  If there are let's hear those stories.   :smoke:
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

hexhie

Re: The Barangay System
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:16:17 AM »
i think the barangay system should just be abolished and funding for it will be reallocated to its respective local governments.. imagine more equipped police officers.

hughdotoh

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
Barangay where I officially reside is OK, they actually keep tabs on druggies and wife-beaters as well as keep the neighborhood quiet. No outdoor karaoke, no home rock concerts, no 120db nagging housewives.

If anything has to be eradicated, it's the SK. SK back home is decidedly useless, pointless, and generally ignored.

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
I remember the original barangay system was purely voluntary. No salaries or allowances. They depend on donation and contribution from the people they serve.

I remember the sigas were tasks to be barangay tanods so instead of them creating trouble, they were the ones enforcing law and order. Pang kape at pagkain and uniforms bigay ng bayan.

I use to type barangay clearances for free when my father became OIC. And I remember we were the first barangay to have a two storey barangay hall with a police precint and patrol jeep all came from donations because the people believed in the system.

Now I see barangay halls fully air-conditioned, service vehicles used privately for marketing or fetching school children, officials with salaries and allowances and requiring barangay permits annually for a fee.

:(
"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

Tyrael

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07:06 AM »
How much does the budget allocate for the operating expenses of the barangay governments?

Does anyone have figures?

What are the pros and cons?

What is the function of the barangay governement?

Let us lay out the facts before launching an analysis.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:03:56 PM by Tyrael »
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleid=462818

Out of 90.5 million Filipinos, only 3 million are registered as a taxpayer. This is only 3.31%.. Widen tax collection!

sarilingsikap

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Sa mga probinsya, especially rural at mabubundok na lugar, mahalaga pa din ang baranggay. Lalo na sa mga lugar na wala pang kalsada at public transpo. I think at this areas, baranggays are really community based.

On the city level, baranggays are largely ignored. Community needs are addressed by homeowner's associations  Pero services. are appreciated on depressed areas (assuming na functioning ang health center nila, etc.) Mga 10 years ago, nung nagvo-volunteer pa ako, malaking tulong naman ang baranggay para maka-organize ang mga projects. Hindi ko lang alam kung ganun pa din ngayon.

http://www.dbm.gov.ph/dbm_publications/primer_on_brgy/b4.htm
http://www.dbm.gov.ph/dbm_publications/bgyprimer/bgyprimer_files/image020.jpg

Hussar

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
I remember the original barangay system was purely voluntary. No salaries or allowances. They depend on donation and contribution from the people they serve.

Yup, there are countries where local government officials will not get any salary at all.  You run because you want to serve.  I wonder if this could be possible in the Philippine setting.   :?
Filipinos want beauty. I have to look beautiful so that the poor Filipinos will have a star to look at from their slums. - Imelda Marcos

Throwing out the tyrant was the easy part.  Fixing the mess he left behind was going to take time. - Benjamin Pimentel

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
Yup, there are countries where local government officials will not get any salary at all.  You run because you want to serve.  I wonder if this could be possible in the Philippine setting.   :?

It has  :lol:

"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

masq

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
Sa mga probinsya, especially rural at mabubundok na lugar, mahalaga pa din ang baranggay.  xxx   malaking tulong naman ang baranggay para maka-organize ang mga projects. Hindi ko lang alam kung ganun pa din ngayon.

The barangays are still important here in the provinces and yes, the barangays are a great help in organizing projects especially medical missions. Coordinating with the barangay officials make it easier to identify the recipients and ensure that they arrive at the designated area.

Peace and order is easier to implement, too because the barangay officials can identify the trouble makers and they are the ones who act to stop them. It stops people, too from resorting to the courts, etc. for solutions to small/petty problems.
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
The barangays are still important here in the provinces and yes, the barangays are a great help in organizing projects especially medical missions. Coordinating with the barangay officials make it easier to identify the recipients and ensure that they arrive at the designated area.
if the Brgy Capt. is politically affiliated, the aim will fail.
Peace and order is easier to implement, too because the barangay officials can identify the trouble makers and they are the ones who act to stop them. It stops people, too from resorting to the courts, etc. for solutions to small/petty problems.[/i]

it's called Lupon ng Brgy., it benefits the Police and the courts from nuisance complaints

so choosing a Brgy. Capt. that has wisdom and neutrality to settle disputes should be one of the traits that voters should include in their checklist
"Col. Jis op: You can't handle the truth!!!!"
"4threich: You can't even handle your wife.. :P"

masq

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
it's called Lupon ng Brgy., it benefits the Police and the courts from nuisance complaints

Not necessarily, Sir. A good barangay captain can avert such a situation. Usually, its the barangay captain who is sought when the quarrel is still fresh or is just starting. It's up to the barangay captain to find a way for the parties' conciliation outside of the Lupon.

so choosing a Brgy. Capt. that has wisdom and neutrality to settle disputes should be one of the traits that voters should include in their checklist

Very true, Sir.  :thumbsup:

How much does the budget allocate for the operating expenses of the barangay governments?

Does anyone have figures?

What are the pros and cons?

What is the function of the barangay governement?

Let us lay out the facts before launching an analysis.

The barangay has their own income generating powers so they are not totally dependent upon the national government or the municipalities/cities that they are affiliated to.

These sites may answer some of your questions, Sir Tyrael:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barangay
http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Barangay
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-

Hussar

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:56:11 AM »
It has  :lol:

We're just going in circle here Saver111.  What I meant is looking at it prospectively.  Change the law and make the Barangay System a no-salary service. 

You know there is one such system in place, I believe.  The DFA appoints Honorary Consuls in countries where we do not have much Filipino expatriates.  These Honorary Consuls do not get salaries, if I remember the story right, but they serve the purposes and objectives of the RP government.

T.F.K.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:48:36 AM »
If anything has to be eradicated, it's the SK. SK back home is decidedly useless, pointless, and generally ignored.

Absolutely, completely, agree.

Hussar

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:28:18 PM »
Absolutely, completely, agree.

DILG calls for SK Abolition, Election of Youth Representative during Barangay Polls on October 25

August 12, 2010.     The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) today submitted a proposed bill to Malacaņang, calling for the abolition of the Sangguniang Kabataan and the subsequent election of a youth representative during the barangay elections on October 25, 2010.

DILG Secretary Jesse M. Robredo said that he is proposing for the repeal of Section 423 to 439 of the Local Government Code that will in effect totally abolish the Katipunan ng Kabataan or the SK., and the amendment of Section 387 (a) and 390 of the same Code to include a youth representative in the barangay who shall be elected at large by the youth aged 15 years old but less than 18 years old during the barangay elections.

Read more here: http://www.dilg.gov.ph/news_details?id=201-DILG-calls-for-SK-Abolition-Election-of-Youth-Representative-during-Barangay-Polls-on-October-25