Author Topic: The PNP's Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO)  (Read 3827 times)

blakh20

The PNP's Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO)
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
There have been many threads and topics I have already read in this forum that relates to crimes, smuggling and corruption relating to firearms. Maybe it would be timely to ask:

Should the PNP-FEO's regulatory, investigative, licensing, storage and overall law enforcement functions be under the Phil National Police, given the widespread corruption concerning firearms within the PNP itself?

In the U.S., the nearest counterpart of the FEO is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) which is under the supervision and organizationally, a branch directly under their country's Dept of Justice.

blakh20

Re: The PNP's Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
I have posted below a related link on the MOA signed between the BATF and the ICE:

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2009/06/063009-atf-ice-partnership-agreement-factsheet.pdf

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Should the PNP-FEO's regulatory, investigative, licensing, storage and overall law enforcement functions be under the Phil National Police, given the widespread corruption concerning firearms within the PNP itself?
... huh?
Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

blakh20

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Pardon me sir?
Statement above intially seemed confusing, sir. 

"Should the PNP-FEO's regulatory, investigative, licensing, storage and overall law enforcement functions be under the PNP, given the widespread corruption concerning firearms within the PNP itself?"

... until I realized you were actually making a question rather than making a statement.

So what's your views on where the FEO should be attached?
Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

blakh20

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:25:59 AM »
Statement above intially seemed confusing, sir. 

"Should the PNP-FEO's regulatory, investigative, licensing, storage and overall law enforcement functions be under the PNP, given the widespread corruption concerning firearms within the PNP itself?"

... until I realized you were actually making a question rather than making a statement.

So what's your views on where the FEO should be attached?

Yeah you are right, I got confused myself when I read it again. :D

Well, what am actually saying is that perhaps, the FEO should really be attached to the DOJ and not the PNP since right now, the PNP is actually one of those  breaking the laws and regulations on firearms control. If you want to know more about it, I can privately email you on the subject. Since the FEO is presently under the PNP, they only get afflicted with the corruption disease now endemic in the PNP. Maybe the DOJ can do a better job than the PNP in making sure that the FEO does its job with integrity.

hughdotoh

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »
Corruption goes where the opportunity arises. Moving it to DoJ won't guarantee the probity.

Assuming it's all above-board, it might even make gun control for law-abiding citizens tougher (with the likes of de Lima in charge,  :thumbsdown:).

PNP merely needs to tighten up its act.

prairiefire

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
Agree. While sometimes as a legal and law-abiding gun owner the regulations the PNP-FED makes can make you grit your teeth in anger and frustration ( like the ruling that PTCFOR holders could not use waist holsters anymore but must carry their FAs in BAGS  :angry: !), it really just boils down to the one at the top.

Verzosa was an unmitigated disaster on the issue of legal firearms and their owners, notwithstanding his better performance on other issues. However, many past PNP - DGs have done better, and hopefully, the new one and his successor will be more sensible  in their rules and regulations.

As for the DOJ being much better, don't count on it. There have been enough foolishness and knavery being perpetrated by its component agencies the NBI and others that I do not think they can do a better job.

blakh20

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Gents,

You have very valid views indeed and so maybe the right question to ask is:

How can the FEO (regardless in which dept, agency or bureau it is attached) be a more effective enforcer of the firearms laws and regulations?

From what I understand, the PDEA which is not attached to any govt unit (am I right?) is relatively much more effective than let's say the FEO. Also, I have yet to hear corruption in PDEA. Maybe that is the way to go, the right formula perhaps.

I think the PDEA was created by law and reports directly to the President, or is it to the DOJ?

malatuba

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
PDEA is under the Office of the President

blakh20

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
PDEA is under the Office of the President

Copy thanks!