Miscellaneous / Non-Defense Related Topics > Philippines, Inc.

How many here knows we are part of N-11?

<< < (2/6) > >>

shadowars:

--- Quote from: G.A.R. on December 15, 2010, 12:16:34 AM ---It would be a large economy but the income distribution will still be poor.  Im guessing you didnt read them all?  Lets try to be more of Korea rather than China. :)

If you take a look at the graph, we would pass Italy in 2050 all things remaining the same, this should be a national goal.  Instead of news about the presidents mistresses.

--- End quote ---

I doubt it .. a lot.. the  " all things remaining the same" part.
the paper is predictive, and are largely forward-looking statements.

good luck! 

hughdotoh:

--- Quote from: G.A.R. on December 15, 2010, 12:44:55 AM ---Not many here, questioned GMA's economic policy, its the rest thats being questioned.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to hope so. By all means let them look into the corruption. But when despite the PPP assurances the mistress-seeker cancels valid and binding contracts, then all else is but spite.

Nevertheless, N-11 is N-11. We could have graduated from that spot long ago. The projection is that so long as nobody alters sound policies out of spite (a filthy habit of presidents all the way from Roxas and which has not changed, beg pardon), we'll be fine. But if Kris Aquino insists on being in the limelight for her brother's manhood, then we're bound to be overtaken by the likes of Bangladesh.

Here's something to ponder about:

--- Quote ---Foreign business groups challenge gov’t to step up

By Abigail L. Ho
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:06:00 12/15/2010

Filed Under: International (Foreign)Trade, Investments, Government

MANILA, Philippines—The joint Foreign Chambers has submitted about 460 recommendations to the government—ranging from reforms in various industries to general policies—to improve the Philippine business environment and ensure exponential growth for the country in the coming years.

Contained in an almost 500-page book titled Arangkada Philippines 2010: A Business Perspective, the recommendations revolved around key industries, aptly dubbed “Seven Big Winners,” which had the most potential to make the country more competitive.

Among the Seven Big Winners, the most number of recommendations were for the tourism, medical travel, and retirement sector at 34, followed by mining, 33 and business process outsourcing, 30.

Infrastructure, had it not been broken into smaller, more specific parts, would have gotten the most number of recommended reforms with a total of 110. The recommendations were spread among general policy environment, airports, power, roads and rail, seaports, telecommunications and water.

Reforms were also recommended for the country’s general business environment, with emphasis on macroeconomic policy, which got 29 recommendations. Business costs, governance and local government had the second most number of recommendations with 16.

According to European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines president Hubert D’Aboville, almost 300 investors participated in nine focused group discussions conducted over a span of six months.

Responding to the recommendations, Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo said infrastructure, in particular, was one of the main economic platforms of the government and key reforms would be introduced to ensure that this would serve as the country’s main engine of growth.

He said that during a recent planning session involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, and all Cabinet members, inputs were gathered for four key sectors – tourism, agriculture, industry, and general infrastructure – to ensure that these tied well with the achievement of the Medium Term Philippine Development Plan.

“We got the commitment of both Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson and Transportation Secretary Jose de Jesus that once they find out the specific infrastructure requirements, they will incorporate these with their overall infrastructure plan. The deadline for that is this week,” he said.

He said it was also the government’s thrust to boost the tourism and agriculture sectors, and to revive the manufacturing sector.

“Tourism will have to be supported by policy reforms to take off. We also have to find a solution to the power problem, as it’s an important component of reviving the manufacturing industry,” he said.
Foreign business groups challenge gov’t to step up

--- End quote ---

The good thing about being N-11 is also its worst fact: The only people who can appreciate it are the sort of folk who have real vision but can barely cope with the political chickensht.

G.A.R.:
Well in politics it doesnt matter if you are a visionary or not, if you cant get people to follow that vision, you suck as a politician and are better of out of the game.  Kinda like it doesnt matter if you are the brainiest guy in the university, if you cant transfer that knowledge to students, then you suck as a teacher.

I posted it here cause I think it is actually good news.  Thats why i even posted that 2009 articles to show that we are even over performing than expected.  Somehow most just cant dig out of the negativity.  I guess as sucking as a nation is already ingrained in our psyche.  Foreigners see more potential for the country than the Filipinos.  Oh well if that is the case then I guess it will be the foreigners that will own the Philippines in the future.

As for me I do nothing but face data about consumption of the Filipinos and the performance of the country.  So far the one of the points mentioned in the papaer about the N-11 driving demand and the economy is already happening for the FMCG category.  From foods to cosmetics

hughdotoh:

--- Quote from: G.A.R. on December 15, 2010, 09:02:42 AM ---Well in politics it doesnt matter if you are a visionary or not, if you cant get people to follow that vision, you suck as a politician and are better of out of the game.  Kinda like it doesnt matter if you are the brainiest guy in the university, if you cant transfer that knowledge to students, then you suck as a teacher.

I posted it here cause I think it is actually good news.  Thats why i even posted that 2009 articles to show that we are even over performing than expected.  Somehow most just cant dig out of the negativity.  I guess as sucking as a nation is already ingrained in our psyche.  Foreigners see more potential for the country than the Filipinos.  Oh well if that is the case then I guess it will be the foreigners that will own the Philippines in the future.

As for me I do nothing but face data about consumption of the Filipinos and the performance of the country.  So far the one of the points mentioned in the papaer about the N-11 driving demand and the economy is already happening for the FMCG category.  From foods to cosmetics

--- End quote ---

We actually face the same kind of data, but then again, I work in a bank and banks are a bit more skeptical than pure financials like GS, and my employer is the most conservatively paranoid of the lot (and we've been operating in the Philippines for over a hundred years, so optimism is a bit tempered).

If anything, we are at the same level as India and China in terms of spending, per capita. But savings per capita is still a ways to go. The good part is that we're catching up. People are becoming more fiscally aware. I would like to match my information with yours, to see what people are spending on. Consumer goods like iPods and laptops are flashy items, but if people actually bunch together to purchase capital goods for a local market, that would be better.

darthnbs:
That's actually true hugh. Even if our population breaches the 100 million mark and beyond if the spending power remains stagnant there's no increased economic activity to capitalize on. Seasoned multi-national companies will remain in the Philippines but only a few new investors would come in because there's so little income to go around.

Unless we improve also the kind of workers that we have and the infrastructure to go along with it basically we are stuck on the launch pad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version