Author Topic: Retitled: Who was Gregorio del Pilar?  (Read 5574 times)

rizal

• Haligi ng Bayan
Retitled: Who was Gregorio del Pilar
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »
There is another reason why the boy general failed to defend the pass, and he is to be blamed. Nevertheless, he is now our hero and PF-15 was named after him.
"...our liberty will (not) be secured at the sword's point...we must secure it by making ourselves worthy of it. And when a people reaches that height God will provide a weapon, the idols will be shattered, tyranny will crumble like a house of cards and liberty will shine out like the first dawn." - Jose P. Rizal

paul1

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:01 AM »
He was betrayed by fellow Filipino who shows a passage to flanked the Generals force.

atty_rcb

• PRIMUS INTER PARES
    • Hooded Angel
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »
Just a question, dude... Are you a Filipino because every Filipino even the young ones knew who Gen. Gregorio Del Pilar is. Why he was part of Philippine History.

He could not be part of History for nothing. He also could not be "putok sa buho" or for the sake lang na ilagay lang pangalan niya because trip lang ng author ng libro..

to your argument na iba iba ang version ng history (As I said, history itself has many versions) , well, I disagree on that because as far as the issue of Gen. Del Pilar because all History books mentioned him as the hero of Tirad Pass. They are consistent on that issue.

I wonder from what school are studying and I wonder who is your History Professor?

Kaya impossible na di mo mabasa si Gregorio del Pilar sa History books..... :angry:
Impossible is found in the dictionary of fools

The competitor to be feared the most is the one who never worries about others at all and goes on making himself better all the time --Henry Ford

In critical moments even the very powerful have need of the weakest. ---Aesop ~Zeuxis

They attack the one man with their hate and their shower of weapons. But he is like some rock which stretches into the vast sea and which, exposed to the fury of the winds and beaten against by the waves, endures all the violence -- VIRGIL

“It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right and wrong.”   Jeremy Bentham

rizal

• Haligi ng Bayan
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
Just a question, dude... Are you a Filipino because every Filipino even the young ones knew who Gen. Gregorio Del Pilar is. Why he was part of Philippine History.

He could not be part of History for nothing. He also could not be "putok sa buho" or for the sake lang na ilagay lang pangalan niya because trip lang ng author ng libro..

to your argument na iba iba ang version ng history (As I said, history itself has many versions) , well, I disagree on that because as far as the issue of Gen. Del Pilar because all History books mentioned him as the hero of Tirad Pass. They are consistent on that issue.

I wonder from what school are studying and I wonder who is your History Professor?

Kaya impossible na di mo mabasa si Gregorio del Pilar sa History books..... :angry:

Pañero, baka nga di sila Pinoy.... :jeez:
"...our liberty will (not) be secured at the sword's point...we must secure it by making ourselves worthy of it. And when a people reaches that height God will provide a weapon, the idols will be shattered, tyranny will crumble like a house of cards and liberty will shine out like the first dawn." - Jose P. Rizal

talent_ed

• The Truth will shine brightest.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »
There is another reason why the boy general failed to defend the pass, and he is to be blamed. Nevertheless, he is now our hero and PF-15 was named after him.

At age 22, he is fairly young to be given such a great responsibility. He did not have the same training that our platoon leaders now have. He was brave enough to give it his all to the point of death. What more can we ask?

On the point of history, there is a special place inside a ship that they place his picture and a brief history of his deeds.  That is why it is important to get the most accurate account.

Unless one is a history major, discussion on the life of Gen Gregorio del Pilar and the Battle of Tirad Pass is only in passing.

BRP GEN EMILIO AGUINALDO, PG140 (1st President)
BRP GEN MARIANO ALVAREZ, PS38 (Second Supremo)

aptly, it should be called BRP GEN GREGORIO DEL PILAR, PF15
Ah, Engineering Courses in PMA, success! Thank you

CAPABILITY-based acquisition not Availability based.

jian20

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »

Just for your information sir, Gen Del Pilar is my most favorite hero because at a young age he fights like any veterans of his time. He is a hero and it was not his fault the defenders of the pass was defeated. It was because of another person, a traitor, who got them all killed.

And I'll second to sir RCB, I really dont think you are a Filipino because you dont know the history of one of the most famous general of this country. :2pistols:
People who lie are afraid of the outcome of the truth. The nation who lie to gain something is afraid of losing things that are not for their taking

"The Filipino, it seems, has lost his soul, his dignity, and his courage. We have come upon a phase of our history when ideals are only a veneer for greed and power, (in public and private affairs) when devotion to duty and dedication to a public trust are to be weighted at all times against private advantages and personal gain, and when loyalties can be traded. …Our government is in the iron grip of venality, its treasury is barren, its resources are wasted, its civil service is slothful and indifferent, its armed forces demoralized and its councils sterile"  --Ferdinand E Marcos--

CrowValley

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 05:47:47 AM »
Case Unclose - Gregorio Del Pilar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCMD-SQ22ac
Look to your right ..... whatever you see first is your weapon for a Zombie apocalypse

gemini1

• MBAC 21
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »

Not trying to defend talent_ed, pero sigurado ka?? Kasi as I posted earlier, collegiate contestants on Pinoy henyo thinks Gen Goyo was a President and kept on saying yes when asked over and over. The emcee even commented that she should be in elem school!  :jeez:

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
Re: Retitled: Who was Gregorio del Pilar?
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
Guys,

Let's take Talented_Ed's call for information at face value.

This was the name chosen for the first major ship acquisition in years. It is only fitting that we take the time to reflect on what we think we know about the man . . . and how far our image of him is from the truth.

How much of what we know comes from books written by, or derived from the works of, the historian Zaide, whose research is now questioned by more recent historians?

Nick Joaquin has interesting views on the boy general in his "A Question of Heroes"

Indeed. Him and many of our other heroes. I really have to get my own copy of that book.

Parts of it are mentioned in this blog entry

http://filipinoscribbles.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/gregorio-del-pilar-a-victim-of-tirad-pass/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:54:39 PM by Adroth »
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

rizal

• Haligi ng Bayan
Re: Retitled: Who was Gregorio del Pilar
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
Just for your information sir, Gen Del Pilar is my most favorite hero because at a young age he fights like any veterans of his time. He is a hero and it was not his fault the defenders of the pass was defeated. It was because of another person, a traitor, who got them all killed. quote]

I also marvel his bravery and patriotism.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:56:14 PM by rizal »

Blackhand

• Frustrated panzertruppe
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »
Talent_ed has a point. One thing that I have noticed thus far is that we are fond of naming ships, vehicles, streets and buildings after people in order to remember them. Let time pass and how many of us recognize who those people were aside from the fact that their names appeared on ships, vehicles, streets or buildings. We tend to forget what they did for us rather we remember them as this ship, vehicle, street or building.
"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being."
- Kahlil Gibran

“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” - John Quincy Adams

Tarugo

• MBAC 21
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:44 AM »
sinuwerte laang... IMHO

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
We all know who was Gen. del Pilar and how he defended Tirad Pass, but do we really know what happened to his mortal remains after he was killed?

American Press Release mentioned that he was so admired by his American adversaries that they gave him a hero's burial at Tirad Pass. I believe this was also echoed by Zaide. Oral History though is way different. But before we get to it, allow me to share what I read somewhere else. In it, it was said that after he was killed and identified by the Americans, they started pulling on the buttons and other accessories of his white uniform including the general's belt and boots. They buried him alright but not after his mortal remains started to smell. There were no military honors, just a poncho wrap and a hastily dug grave with no markings.

Oral History says he was killed after the last of his men ran away from the fight despite his command for them to stand their ground. This was after a second pass was revealed to the Americans by an Igorot which allowed them to attack Gen. del Pilar's defense line from the rear. Anyway after he was killed, the Americans treated his body as a war booty and started picking souvenirs from his white uniform. They left his body where he fell. After stray dogs began feasting on his fast decaying body, local folks dug a shallow grave and buried what remained of his mortal remains.

What about you guys, what have you read?
PN according to Manokski:
"something gray with a side number on it that floats"
PAF according to Ramon J. Farolan:
"we are now basically a helicopter fleet"
PA according to drkula
"it is better to talk forever than fight forever"

Anak ni sarge

"Applying the standards of the rest of the country for what is acceptable and logical behavior in order to predict what this group of people will do is dangerous and can be faulty. Too many analysts and military commanders have already made that same mistake."
ka nognog

Mayk

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 12:03:06 AM »
http://filipinoscribbles.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/gregorio-del-pilar-a-victim-of-tirad-pass/

And according to the diary of Telesforo Carrasco y Pérez, a Spaniard enlisted in Aguinaldo/del Pilar’s army, the boy general, who in stories was said to have died heroically and fighting to the last bullet, died due to his own carelessness:

“At dawn we saw the enemy climbing the slope and moments later the firing began in the first entrenchment, which was under Lieutenant Braulio. At around nine in the morning two Igorots climbed to the peak and told the general that the Americans had suffered losses at the first entrenchment and could not advance. Heartened by the news, the general decided that we were to descend in his company and take part in the combat.

“This we did and an hour later found ourselves where nine soldiers were defending the left flank of the mountain in the second entrenchment. Hardly had we got there when we saw the Americans climbing up, only fifteen meters away, whereupon the soldiers started firing again.

“The general could not see the enemy because of the cogon grass and he ordered a halt to the firing. At that moment I was handling him a carbine and warning him that the Americans were directing their fire at him and that he should crouch down because his life was in danger — and that moment he was hit by a bullet in the neck that caused instant death.”

masq

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:38 AM »
Del Pilars body rested exposed for days without a burial. While re-tracking the trail, an American officer, Lt. Dennis P. Quinlan, ordered his men to give honor to the fallen but valorous foe. General del Pilar was finally given a traditional U.S. military burial. Upon his tombstone, Lt. Quinlan inscribed:

"An Officer and a Gentleman"..
http://philippine-revolution.110mb.com/del_pilar_g_detailed.htm#early
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-