Author Topic: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (PF-16) - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]  (Read 695440 times)

franning

• MBAC 21
  • Ibong Adarna
Re: USCGC Dallas (WHEC-716)
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »
There's a new cutter in service. Here the link. Hope the video will work. If not, search for "Webber class cutter."

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1444612450001/coast-guard-cutter-prototype-displayed-florida

Is this video related to Dallas? Plus that boat is small don't think it'll survive in the type of sea state around Malampaya area.

Bat21

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/batwentyone
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
Is this video related to Dallas? Plus that boat is small don't think it'll survive in the type of sea state around Malampaya area.

Its probably the size of our peacocks and cyclone.  It's still good for coastal patrtol, anti-piracy etc. And why can't we design something like this and make them.

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
Its probably the size of our peacocks and cyclone.  It's still good for coastal patrtol, anti-piracy etc. And why can't we design something like this and make them.

Bat21,

Best to discuss that on a separate thread. No thread hijacks please. Lets keep this discussion focused on the Dallas.
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
Back to topic gents.  :police:

I have gathered from sources at USCG Sector Charleston that the scheduled Decommissioning date for the USCGC Dallas (WHEC-716) will be on 30 March 2012.

Semper Paratus
LCDR     USCG(R)

"So Others May Live - Semper Paratus"

Thanks for sharing Mr. S.  :beer:

Bat21

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/batwentyone
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
Bat21,

Best to discuss that on a separate thread. No thread hijacks please. Lets keep this discussion focused on the Dallas.

I thought about opening a new thread but somehow I knew there would be few responses since the cutter alone is new. No offense taken Adroth. Thank you for the reminder.

Now back to the Dallas. I saw in the "modernzie the PN" facebook that there are 2 more Hamilton's coming. If the Dallas is one of them, what's the second one? Sorry If I am behind all these updates.

Adroth

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
Now back to the Dallas. I saw in the "modernzie the PN" facebook that there are 2 more Hamilton's coming. If the Dallas is one of them, what's the second one? Sorry If I am behind all these updates.

That is out of topic as well.

The third WHEC, which hasn't been identified yet, is being discussed here:

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=28305.0

Semper Paratus

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
I know its out of thread but just for everybodys info...the cutter in the video is way smaller than the WHECs. This is the first of the FRC (Fast Response Cutters) built for USCG to perform as a primary law enforcement vessel designed for both littoral and deep water ops. The USCG is looking at the FRC as possible replacement for aging 110 ft. Island class cutters.

SEMPER PARATUS - ALWAYS READY

" So Others May Live!"

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »
http://www.interaksyon.com/article/24840/philippines-to-get-second-warship-from-the-united-states

BAGUIO CITY — The Philippines may receive its second warship from the United States this May, the country’s Navy chief disclosed Saturday.

If things go as scheduled, the second Hamilton Class Cutter from the Coast Guard will arrive in May or anytime within the year, Vice Admiral Alexander Pama said.

The first Hamilton Class Cutter arrived last year and was christened the BRP Gregorio del Pilar.

Pama, however, could not say where the warship will be deployed.
"Col. Jis op: You can't handle the truth!!!!"
"4threich: You can't even handle your wife.. :P"

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
Latest news... USCGC Dallas not just sitting on a lonely dock, but still working hard and with relevance.

Charleston Coast Guard cutter seizes almost $50 million in drugs
Posted: Feb 17, 2012 11:42 PM
The contraband from both cases were offloaded in Key West, Fla., on Wednesday.
While conducting a patrol Dec. 22, 2011, crew members located a 40-foot go-fast vessel north of Hobbies Cays, Honduras. Dallas crew members witnessed personnel aboard the vessel throw multiple bales into the water.
The second seizure happened On Dec. 31, 2011, when Dallas crew members located a go-fast vessel southwest of Jamaica. The crew launched their small boat to stop the vessel and crew members conducted a Right of Visit boarding and went onto the ship.

Drug seizure
Seaman Zachary Quamme carries a bail of marijuana at Coast Guard Sector Key West, Fla., Feb. 16, 2012, as the the crew aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Dallas offloads drugs seized during the ship's current patrol.
Coast Guard

Related news post from USCG official site :
http://www.d7.uscgnews.com/go/doc/586/1309371/

Another article on this news, but with a leftist and negative tone added  :eyes: :
Coast Guard will retire cutter Dallas : Aging ship going out with 2 big drug busts
By Schuyler Kropf    Saturday, February 18, 2012
After a 45-year career at sea, the Charleston-based Coast Guard cutter Dallas is being decommissioned and is on its way to being sold as surplus to the naval forces of the Philippines, angering communists in the Pacific. But its crew can say it went out with a bang.
"The transfer of another naval cutter from the U.S. government serves the purpose of U.S. military buildup on the South China Sea," the Communist Party of the Philippines said in a statement reported by United Press International about the overseas sale.
One factor behind the decommissioning is that the 378 foot-long, 3,250-ton Dallas had become obsolete, a spokesman said. "It's the point of diminishing returns," said Coast Guard spokesman Paul Rhynard in Washington. "These old cutters, they cost too much, they break down too much."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:51:00 PM by 40niner_com »
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

natnat0026

• ME J1 B1
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »

US formally offers 2nd warship to AFP
By Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) Updated February 20, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - A top military official bared yesterday that the United States has formally offered to the Philippines a second warship that is expected to boost the country’s territorial defense capability.

Navy chief Vice Admiral Alexander Pama said the US sent last week a letter notifying them about the availability of another US Coast
Guard cutter, Dallas.

“They (US) sent a letter offering us formally (the ship). They are telling us this is available and their government has approved (the giving of the ship to the Philippines). They are asking us if we are interested,” Pama said.

(edited)

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=779328&publicationSubCategoryId=63

ronki@tmw

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
Philippines to get second Hamilton ship by May
By Katherine Evangelista
INQUIRER.net
7:45 pm | Saturday, February 18th, 2012

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines—If things go according to plan, the Philippine Navy would be getting its second Hamilton ship by May of this year, Vice Admiral Alexander Pama said Saturday.
Speaking to reporters in a chance interview after the Philippine Military Academy Alumni Homecoming, Pama said that he has received the formal letter of offer on the Hamilton Class Cutter US Coast Guard Dallas.

“Kung masusunod yung schedule, bago matapos and taon, dalawa na yung Secretary Class natin. Maaring May (If the schedule will be followed, before the end of the year we will have two Secretary Class vessels),” Pama told reporters.
In May 2011, the Philippine Navy Acquired a Hamilton Class Cutter, which the Philippine Navy christened as BRP-Gregorio del Pilar, from the United States as excess defense article under the Foreign Assistance Act.

Like the BRP-Gregorio del Pilar, the Dallas will likely be stripped off most of its equipment and armaments. Pama said they requested that some of the equipment be retained on the ship.
“Naiintindihan naman natin na ibang kaggamitan doon ay di basta-basta pwedeng ipamigay… Kasama sa pag-uusapan kung ano iyong pwedeng i-retain (We understand that some of the equipment they can’t give away easily… This is still included in the negotiations, which equipment can be retained),” Pama said adding that both parties are still in the initial stages of the negotiation

When asked where the Dallas will be deployed, Pama said: “We will cross the bridge when we get there.”
He said that they are currently arranging for the transfer of the vessel and training personnel. However, he admitted that normally, vessels are deployed in tandem. BRP-Gregorio del Pilar, which was commissioned last December 2011, was deployed to the Malampaya natural gas field in the West Philippine Sea.
The United States Congress formally approved the transfer of the Dallas Cutter to the Philippines on February 10.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/148227/philippines-to-get-second-hamilton-ship-by-may?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
If Im getting his right, the timeframe would be possible given that no more training abroad is needed, all we need to do is send some of the original crew that handled her voyage.

if it would be a hot transfer again so they will just strip items not included during negotiations, I reckon items  like the USCG exclusive Command and Control Communication System and CIWS.( i rather not have CIWS instead use the money to buy man pads.)

probably retain her surveillance and weapons systems.

and do the needed refurb and repairs in the Philippines instead.

my two cents.

gemini1

• MBAC 21
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
If Im getting his right, the timeframe would be possible given that no more training abroad is needed, all we need to do is send some of the original crew that handled her voyage.

No, I dont think so. What would you do with the GDP if you pull out the crew and have them sail the Dallas back home? If I were to guess, the original crew the PN sent was just is just as busy right now, training the rest of the GDP's complement, to effectively run the ship.
And beside, the Vice Admiral already said;

they are currently arranging for the transfer of the vessel and training personnel.

I hope the PN would request for the radars be retained, its not as "high tech" as the CIWS, so fingers crossed, the US would  :thumbsup: 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:52:45 PM by gemini1 »

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
No, I dont think so. What would you do with the GDP if you pull out the crew and have them sail the Dallas back home? If I were to guess, the original crew the PN sent was just is just as busy right now, training the rest of the GDP's complement, to effectively run the ship.
And beside, the Vice Admiral already said;

I hope the PN would request for the radars be retained, its not as "high tech" as the CIWS, so fingers crossed, the US would  :thumbsup: 

I said "some"  :lol:,..besides they still have to negotiate for a new training given that PN are requesting for retainment of systems that were pulled from GDP.
How many months have passed since GDP on official duty, pretty quite sure the PN trained a sufficient number of personnel to man her.
IIRC, an officer who went to the US for training was relieved due to the pestano case( :jeez:). it means anytime positions can be filled up ASAP.

Im only after the costs we might save if we minimize training abroad.  :thumbsup:

Radars? Im thinking a system that could communicate with our Coast Watch System, specifics? That I don't have an idea..

:beer:

Semper Paratus

« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
Dear Shipmates,

Just sharing an interesting article written by the Commanding Officer of the USCGC Dallas (WHEC-716) Capt. Munro. The article can be found by going to:

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/02/farewell-to-dallas-a-word-from-the-commanding-officer/

Enjoy!!!!

Semper Paratus
LCDR    USCG(R)

"Semper Paratus - Always Ready!!"