Author Topic: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (PF-16) - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]  (Read 762428 times)

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
Re: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]
« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
On Tuesday, May 22, at 13:00 Eastern time, which I believe will be 01:00 AM May 23, Manila time, ceremonies will begin to transfer the former USCGC Dallas to the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

http://charleston.thedigitel.com/features/decommissioned-coast-guard-cutter-dallas-being-tra-39329-0518

Mr H,

Any of your peers attending the ceremony?
The campaign to establish a Philippine equivalent to DARPA / DAPA / DSTA: http://adroth.ph/srdp_roadmap_darpa/

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

natnat0026

• ME J1 B1
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2012, 04:11:29 AM »
Philippines to get 2nd US coast guard ship

Manila, May 21 (Xinhua-ANI): The United States government is turning over the second Hamilton class cutter to the Philippine government on Wednesday, according to the Philippine government.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos confirmed on Monday that AFP chief Gen. Jessie Dellosa and Rear Adm. Jose Luis Alano, commander of the Navy's Philippine Fleet, have flown to the U.S. to receive the second Hamilton class cutter.

Burgos disclosed that after the turn over, the ship will undergo refurbishing in the U.S. while Navy personnel will undergo training to operate the vessel. The U.S. government, however, did not grant the request of the Philippine government to retain close- in weapon and radar systems in the second ship.

-edited-

source
http://in.news.yahoo.com/philippines-2nd-us-coast-guard-ship-101934962.html

Blaze0313

« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
Yeah, another  harmless gunboat that will be used mainly for patrol and training of our sailors. :bash: :bravo: :beer:
"Give me a thousand Filipinos and I shall conquer the world" - General Douglas MacArthur

tagalacion@tmw

« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
Yeah, another  harmless gunboat that will be used mainly for patrol and training of our sailors. :bash: :bravo: :beer:

I think we shouldn't be too hard on Uncle Sam on this.  I believe the US hesitation to provide us with a "fully-armed" warship is to avoid the appearance of actively "arming" us, especially in light of the problem in Scarborough Shoal.

Had we offered to buy those sensors and weapons at fair market value, that would've been a different story; one the US could easily 'sell' to China as a case of a pure business transaction.

I'm not saying the US is scared of China.  I think maybe it has something to do with the succession process going on in China right now.  Maybe there's concern in Washington about strengthening some hardliners over in Beijing if the US didn't thread carefully.

Thanks. :)
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

Beam magnum

« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
What do you guys think of the Goalkeeper for the two ship?

free image hosting

XM1MBT

« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »
Lets get over it. luckily we are getting these

As previous threads we knew the possibility is slim

We've neglected the modernization for a long time

Painful as it may seem, we will have to purchase additional
Systems for these two hamiltons as other countries have done
To retrofit their fleets of aging ships

We can do the same, we just have to grow up
As others have said

It's been long enough, it's time to roll up the sleeves
And work for it
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:38:34 AM by XM1MBT »
STAND BY TO REPELL BOARDERS!!!

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!

Duty, Honor, Country, Sempre Fi

F4 Phantom II "the Largest Supplier of MIG SPARE PARTS in the World" Established Since 1962

rbcrecto

« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
Hi Guys,

I would rather read the interesting articles posted by the old timers of the forum, as an ex-reservist who did most of his training in Fort bonifacio a long time ago I defer to the senior officers in the forum. If I remember the problem with the Goalkeeper is it is heavier and requires deck penetration whereas the PHALANX does not. The Americans are telling us, you want the good stuff you have to buy it, nothings for free. I f we are really getting Italian ships whether Maestrale, Soldati or both should we not consider the DARDO CIWS:

http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/Oto-Melara-40L70-DARDO.htm

The Oto-Melara/Otobreda twin 40L70 compact / fast forty gun system is a high performance anti-missile, anti-aircraft and ship-to-ship weapon system.

DARDO is installed in an enclosed turret with two different mounts: the Type A with 440-round internal and 292-round under-deck magazines; and Type B with only the 440-round internal magazine (Type B requires no deck penetration). The mount can be upgraded with the installation of the “fast-forty” recoiling mass.

The Fast Forty is an improved version of the system with a higher rate of fire, dual magazine and dual feed mechanism to allow switching from hight-explosive (HE) to armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS) rounds when a missile gets within 1,000 meters from the vessel.

Technical data:
Caliber: 40 mm
Barrel: 2 x Breda built Bofors 40mm/L70
Weight, Type A: without ammunition: 5600 kg / with ammunition: 7400 kg
Weight, Type B: without ammunition: 5400 kg / with ammunition: 6500 kg
Ammunition capacity, Type A: 736 round magazine
Ammunition capacity, Type B: 444 round magazine
Elevation: - 13° to + 85°
Rate of fire: 600 rounds per minute (compact) / 900 rounds (fast forty)
Range: 4000 meters effective / 12500 meters maximal, horizontal 8700 meters maximal, height

Used on:
Italian Navy and more than 20 international Navy ships.

When will we learn to stop begging because the more we beg we get nothing. If we buy the Italian frigates maybe we can get a good price for the Italian weaponry like Otomat missiles, torpedos and CIWS...

Just a suggestion

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:19:51 AM by rbcrecto »

Beam magnum

« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
It may perhaps thats there strategy plan is to conserve the budget for the main weapon and guided missile technology. Thats only in my mind. He he
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:28:42 AM by Beam magnum »

XM1MBT

« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
To add to that if we are hoping for third Hamilton
I'd rather stop it at Dallas and spend the money
On much capable ships coming from Italy which they
Are decommissioning as discussed in another thread

This is not sinking in yet but this should be the last Hamilton class
We should get

Strike 3 you're out as they say

I wouldn't wait till strike 3
STAND BY TO REPELL BOARDERS!!!

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!

Duty, Honor, Country, Sempre Fi

F4 Phantom II "the Largest Supplier of MIG SPARE PARTS in the World" Established Since 1962

warhammer

« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
Lets get over it. luckily we are getting these

As previous threads we knew the possibility is slim

We've neglected the modernization for a long time

Painful as it may seem, we will have to purchase additional
Systems for these two hamiltons as other countries have done
To retrofit their fleets of aging ships

We can do the same, we just have to grow up
As others have said

It's been long enough, it's time to roll up the sleeves
And work for it

Right... Stop asking for a Bugatti Veyron if all you can afford is a Fiat Panda... He he he.

If you want a Ferrari, we have one here but you need to buy spare parts and money for gas to make it run.

A simple analogy for car enthusiasts.

drealovetzki

« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
.."The U.S. government, however, did not grant the request of the Philippine government to retain close- in weapon and radar systems in the second ship"..Well there goes Hillary's "ready to arm the philippines". At least she has a razor sharp bow that can sink even a carrier!

Ignatius1@TMW

« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
Since the GRP is in discussions with Spain and other European countries, is it possible that the WHECs would be outfitted with European radars and the Meroka as the CIWS?

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNSpain_2cm-120_Meroka.htm

It appears that there is no deck penetration, and the systems seems to be lighter than the Phalanx.

gemini1

• MBAC 21
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
I believe that all post and comments regarding uparming and upgrading the BRP Alcaraz should be posted to the related threads summarized here:

Thread index to BRP Gregorio del Pilar (PF-15) discussions

Hope everyone could cooperate to keep this thread cleaner for better appreciation and reference.

@rbcrecto -- The 40mm Dardo system had been discussed at the uparming the PF-15 thread.  Let's redirect our discussions there.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:47:03 PM by 40niner_com »
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

graywolf96

• Jet Stream
Re: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (US: Weapons not included in warship)
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
(The Philippine Star) Updated May 22, 2012 12:00 AM
MANILA, Philippines - The United States did not give in to a request by the Philippines to include weapons and accessories in the second warship it will provide to the Philippine Navy.
Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said during an interview over radio dzRH that US Coast Guard ship Dallas would be similar to BRP Gregorio del Pilar, which had been stripped of its weapons system before it was turned over to the Philippines last year.

“Pareho lang ng del Pilar (The same with del Pilar),” Gazmin said when asked whether the US had granted the Philippines’ request to retain the armaments of Dallas.

Among the ship’s features that Pama wanted retained were its close-in weapons system, Bushmaster cannons, air search radars and fire control system.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Jessie Dellosa and Philippine Fleet commander Rear Admiral Jose Luis Alano will attend the symbolic turnover of the ship on Wednesday (Manila time) at North Charleston, South Carolina.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=809487&publicationSubCategoryId=63
Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of a future.
It is a product of our imagination. Causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist.
That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real, but fear is a choice. - Cypher Raige