Author Topic: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (PF-16) - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]  (Read 771854 times)

ManilaBoy40

Re: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (PF-16) - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]
« Reply #735 on: September 11, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »

let's pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. we have the money, so let us build up our defense OURSELVES, not wait for a favorable White House.

The reason for the delay of all the pending acquisition plans is due to Lack of Funds as reported yesterday from the ongoing AFP budget deliberation , anyway has there been any new updates regarding PF-16 arrival time frame  ...   
RETIRED FROM THE 9-5 RAT RACE

davemap

« Reply #736 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
The reason for the delay of all the pending acquisition plans is due to Lack of Funds as reported yesterday from the ongoing AFP budget deliberation , anyway has there been any new updates regarding PF-16 arrival time frame  ...
It will sail tentatively Last week of December or in the month of January.
""Ano'ng unethical? Talagang gagawin ko! Can you point out to me what law says that I cannot threaten criminals? Shut up!"
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to CHR

“In our country, hundreds of millions of pesos of taxpayer money are squandered not only through corruption but also through projects that were conceived for worthy purposes but were discontinued and abandoned due to the ‘policy of no continuity.’”

Charito Planas

"Kung Ayaw mong Masaktan Mag-Chess Ka Na Lang"

Robert "Big J" Jaworski

tagalacion@tmw

« Reply #737 on: September 11, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »
- The potential to embark Harpoons has been there since day one. It has always been more of a "when" rather an "If". What isn't clear is the timeline for this.

Is it possible the PN timeline to upgrade the ex-Hams weps/sensors is planned to coincide with the arrival/delivery of the Japanese patrol vessels for the PCG? 

Perhaps the thinking is:

Once PCG acquires the assets that can patrol our EEZ even during high sea states, EEZ policing will become a mere 'side-dish' in the ex-Hams menu (rather than as a main course) and the need to appear 'weak' (to remove a potential pretext for escalation) disappears.  These ships can then become the main surface combatants that the PN had always meant them to be - and to be armed as such.

All IMHO.  Thanks.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

miggye

« Reply #738 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:36 PM »
Is it possible the PN timeline to upgrade the ex-Hams weps/sensors is planned to coincide with the arrival/delivery of the Japanese patrol vessels for the PCG? 

Perhaps the thinking is:

Once PCG acquires the assets that can patrol our EEZ even during high sea states, EEZ policing will become a mere 'side-dish' in the ex-Hams menu (rather than as a main course) and the need to appear 'weak' (to remove a potential pretext for escalation) disappears.  These ships can then become the main surface combatants that the PN had always meant them to be - and to be armed as such.

All IMHO.  Thanks.

i have the feeling it may be more timed with the possible arrival of the Maestrale and Grecale from italy in the later half of next year. this way, you still have 2 major surface combatants at the ready while the other two are being upgraded.
Dulce et decorum est, Pro patria mori
De Profundis ad Astra

ManilaBoy40

Retitled: Some old news about the Dallas
« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2012, 05:55:02 PM »
   The sailors assigned to operate both patrol vessels could be at 'risk' base on a posting from mastersmate at this US military site ...

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/415197802/m/5000088882001

Recently an e-mail passd through about an ex-CG captain, now a project officer for one of the big contractors ( deepwater maybe ??), looking to hire ex-CG engineer ratings and engineer warrants to be part of a assistance team that will work with the PN to maintain those old junks ships.

If you wanted to get just a bit on the 'conspiracy theory' track you'd wonder ....

Who had any economic influence as to where or why old worn out ships were trandferred foreign, rather than being cut up when they were in too bad a state for continued use....

OK to put a foreign sailor at risk..

My squawk has always been, if these cutters are worn out to the point of being a liability and or safety issue to the Coast Guard, how, as the supposed 'premier maritime safety organization', in good conscience can the send unsafe ships off to another country and put their sailors at risk.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:09:48 AM by Adroth »

Jester8

Re: PF-15/16 Sailors at Risk
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Manilaboy40,

Posting another post from another forum which does not lead to any official document or reference IMHO is
a crap. Whatever that guy was saying even if he is an experienced coastie is practically his own opinion.

Dumale ka nanaman ng wala sa ayos eh.

Nagsimula ka pa ng panibagong thread? Walang kadaladala. :bash:

gemini1

• MBAC 21
« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
^ :lol:  :beer: Maybe MB40 doesn't have any faith nor trust those from the PN who inspected the ships, prior to acceptance. 

charismabrix@TMW

« Reply #742 on: October 03, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
The way our Navy maintained the PF-11 is a testament that however 'old' those ship hulls as long as they serve the purpose of our Navy.  Let us remember that there are other nations interested to take their other sisters.  Nigeria wants more of them while , Bangladesh allegedly wish they can get them.

Having them maybe risky (according to their opinion), but not having them is riskier. We just have to weigh things out.  :beer:
"I'd rather be lucky than good in any day."

baybum7

« Reply #743 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »
Whatever that guy was saying even if he is an experienced coastie is practically his own opinion.

Let's give the person on that forum the benefit of the doubt. Although the PF-15 and 16 were scheduled for maintenance prior to its transfer, so we're not sure if this is still true or not. A few people in that forum did work for the USCG, although concrete evidences are more reliable.

One thing I would like to point out though is your choice of words. As per forum rules, please do not start flaming another user in this forum. Manilaboy simply added what he saw from another thread, no point in attacking the user himself. If you are going to react negatively, then do it properly.
Democracy: Everybody is speaking at the same time. Sounds more like a market place to me!
Communism: Everybody is equal. But some are more equal than others.

Jester8

« Reply #744 on: October 03, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
Let's give the person on that forum the benefit of the doubt. Although the PF-15 and 16 were scheduled for maintenance prior to its transfer, so we're not sure if this is still true or not. A few people in that forum did work for the USCG, although concrete evidences are more reliable.

One thing I would like to point out though is your choice of words. As per forum rules, please do not start flaming another user in this forum. Manilaboy simply added what he saw from another thread, no point in attacking the user himself. If you are going to react negatively, then do it properly.

Anu po bang word ang ginamit ko na masama or as an attack to Manilaboy40 paki-distinguish nga po?
If you translate my words into English you would not find any offensive word on my post.

Well, reacting too defensive is permitted given that you can prove otherwise right?

Giving the benefit of doubt here in this forum must be backed by facts, thats the norm as far as I can remember Sir.

jtrn1@tmw

« Reply #745 on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
Manilaboy40,

Posting another post from another forum which does not lead to any official document or reference IMHO is
a crap. Whatever that guy was saying even if he is an experienced coastie is practically his own opinion.

To Jester8. I mostly read and rarely comment or post in this forum. Youre a new member but you seem to enjoy bashing other people in this forum. Are you a forum admin? Perhaps you should consider the intentions of the members posting first, and leave reprimands to the mods!

The Philippines is on it's way up, please do not elect people that will drag it back down!

Sarry15

• It's Not What It Seems!
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »
i have been a lurker here... what i noticed is that the title is misleading... It says "...Sailors at Risk"... Its my understanding that its a statement rather than a question without a legitimate source...   

just my 2 cents.

franning

• MBAC 21
  • Ibong Adarna
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »
What a mis-leading Subject. Please post some substance other than just saying because USCG retired it then it must be un-usuable.

jammerjamesky

Re: Some old news about the Dallas
« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2012, 07:31:36 AM »
I agree with you Sir Franning why dont just change the Heading of the Thread.

Lets look at the positive aspect here.After the transfer of the Ham and Dallas to the Philippine Navy the US Government obligations doesn't end right away. PN already learned from the past. Knowing that the contractors are still training sailors in the country, it is an opportunity to learn and harness new idea and learn new tech advances.

Wala na tayong pakialam sa mga side ng contractor kasi trabaho nila yan. Mas maganda nga kung nasa barkong ito galing ang na empleyado na kinuha na mag turo kasi alam nila ang pasikot sikot at paano remedyohan ang problema.

Why at risk?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:10:29 AM by Adroth »

ManilaBoy40

« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
It will sail tentatively Last week of December or in the month of January.

Thanks for the info, here is a crew shot of PF-16  together with some USCG sailors that I found on a facebook page ...    8)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:05:17 PM by ManilaBoy40 »