Author Topic: PNP pistol requirements  (Read 31410 times)

cebuboy

• low speed high drag chairborne operator
PNP pistol requirements
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:59:19 AM »

http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=65&articleid=754050

Hey, its not fair, the cops can get the Glock for 18,900...
“Fighting the enemy in battle is my duty as a soldier; taking on the dacoits in the train was my duty as a human being.” - Bishnu Shrestha

CatsMeow@TMW

• Professional Skeptic
Re: PNP pistol requirements
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:27:45 AM »
Well, okay... but can they shoot straight with their Glocks?

I got my first Glock for P29k back in 1999, it was either that or the Walther P99 at the same price, a Chuck Taylor Handguns article helped me decide. It was during the gunshow, once I made up my mind I made my deposit at Final Option, then walked away, rounding the corner to find Browning Hi-Powers for P23k only... :shock:
MY GARDEN IS SMALLER THAN YOUR ROME, BUT MY PILUM IS HARDER THAN YOUR STERNUM

bear

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:36:47 AM »

Just remembered that a sales person in one of the biggest booth during the gun show was saying that their glocks shoots left :D really tempted to ask her if its really the "pana" or the "indian's" fault.  :lol: Prices were way higher than P18,900 though :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:39:02 AM by bear »
been nowhere, done nothing

prairiefire

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »

Well, FWIW, most of the Mandaue City SWAT can and do shoot straight with their Glocks. Was able to spend a day with them last month, and the marksmanship skills the great majority of them  exhibited with their Glock 17s were most pleasantly surprising. The highest accolade I can give 'em is to say that they can hostage- rescue me anytime!  (|;)

miggye

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Guys, there is a very simple reason why the pistols are priced that way.... well, three reasons, really. first is its a bulk order. second is its a bidding. third, and more importantly, this is the pnp doing the buying, so they were able to get taxes waived. you see, GRP considers firearms a luxury and taxes it accordingly (200%)
Dulce et decorum est, Pro patria mori
De Profundis ad Astra

miggye

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »
personally, i think the pnp will go with the tanfoglio. one of the requirements is an internal and an external safety.
Dulce et decorum est, Pro patria mori
De Profundis ad Astra

ForceRecon

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »
But why 9mm as a requirement??? They'll have to buy more expensive hollow points since   standard 9mm fmj's have a record of over penetrating and, short of a head shot, of having a delayed effect on drugged crazed individuals.

combat diver

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
 the .45 FMJ will also over penetrate. on any defensive pistol, IMHO, good JHP is always the way to go.  no matter what caliber  :D
“Don’t practice until you get it right; practice until you can’t get it wrong”

spartacus

• hurrah flyboys!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
But why 9mm as a requirement??? They'll have to buy more expensive hollow points since   standard 9mm fmj's have a record of over penetrating and, short of a head shot, of having a delayed effect on drugged crazed individuals.

The only thing that i can think of is that most LEOs worldwide use 9mmm as the caliber of choice. Besides, most 9mm pistols has more ammo capacity as compared to other pistol calibers even in their high cap configuration.

Yes, a JHP ammo would be the solution to that drug crazed criminals..
"Laang Kawal.....Kawal Laang"

CatsMeow@TMW

• Professional Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
The US LEOs have already gone over to .40S&W and higher calibers for the most part. I have 9mm +P+s in my CZ right now, but haven't tried it yet in live fire.

I wonder how the cops issued Beretta 92DSs fared in marksmanship training, that's a very long double action only trigger reach.

Oddly, I haven't fired a 1911 for quite some time after selling mine, but when I brought a friend to the range and we rented one, I was pleasantly surprised... some things never change.

firstknight

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
here's an update from cocktales of victor agustin, manila standard today:

Arroyo cousins lead KKK firearms race

MIKE Arroyo may be going through the wringer with the Aquino administration, but for his Tuason cousins, it is not only business as usual, they have even gotten the edge in the firearms race being conducted by P.Noy’s KKK circle.

According to the grapevine, the Tuason-owned Arms Corporation of the Philippines submitted the lowest bid, at P16,968 per 9 mm pistol, in the first round of bidding for the standardization of side firearms of the country’s police.

The Armscor price, for a Tanfoglio pistol, is P8,000 less than the P25,000 indicative price that Kaibigan-Kaklase-Kabarilan charter member, Interior and Local Government Undersecretary Rico Puno, and Deputy Director Benjamin Belarmino, chairman of the Philippine National Police bids and awards committee, have set.

The second lowest bid was submitted by Armaments Unlimited, at P18,200, for a Beretta PX4. A total of five firearms companies, including the local representative of the popular Glock 17 (P18,900 offer), participated in the bidding.

<edited>

By Thursday, the most crucial phase, the torture test of 20,000 rounds of firing for each pistol, will be conducted at the Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan.... <edited>

<edited>

After all, 138,000 pistols at P20,000 per spells big bang, er, bucks.

full story here: http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideBusop.htm?f=2011/december/5/vicagustin.isx&d=2011/december/5

CatsMeow@TMW

• Professional Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Is it the CZ-based polymer-framed Tanfoglio? The one whose frame can be had in other colors including PINK?

combat diver

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
they have other colors?  oh my they might get bright colored frames so they will be IPSC ready  :eyes:
“Don’t practice until you get it right; practice until you can’t get it wrong”

CatsMeow@TMW

• Professional Skeptic
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
They used to be oh so visible at gun shows in nice bright blue and pink. Next time I'm in Armscor MCS I'll ask to see the "PNP model". BTW the cop I saw outside our office had a Taurus PT-92.

Also, the ban on expanding bullets or those designed to cause unnecessary suffering to the "shootee" in the Hague Convention applies only to military forces in declared wars, and certainly not law enforcement / civilians.

http://www.thegunzone.com/hague.html

<quote>

This practice began to change subsequent to a 23 September 1985 opinion issued by the Judge Advocate General2, authored3 by W. Hays Parks4, Chief of the JAG's International Law Branch, for the signature of Major General Hugh R. Overholt, which stated:
“"…expanding point ammunition is legally permissible in counterterrorist operations not involving the engagement of the armed forces of another State."”
<end quote>

So yes, go ahead and load your pistols with JHPs, only that you can't shoot invading forces with them...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:33:24 PM by CatsMeow@TMW »

prairiefire

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »
the .45 FMJ will also over penetrate. on any defensive pistol, IMHO, good JHP is always the way to go.  no matter what caliber  :D

Correct.

Full Metal Jacketed ( FMJ ) bullets in ANY caliber overpenetrate and have relatively poor terminal wound ballistics. They are hopelessly outclassed by JHPs in almost every category.

And I really would not mind carrying the 9mm. Loaded with JHPs, especially if in the +P or +P+ loadings, they are fully the practical equal of .40s and .45s. And the sweetener? You get to carry a whole lot more of them. They recoil less, cost less; I mean, whats not to like?  :twisted:

Just don't use lead round nose reloads as your carry ammo... (|;)