Author Topic: Looking at Italian equipment?  (Read 193997 times)

xtristan

Re: Looking at Italian equipment?
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
I supposed you have to READ this thread and other related ones before making a relevant post.

Sorry Sir.
In the fury of your struggle, some of you might die in the midst of battle, but this is an honor that will be a legacy to our race and progeny. -Andres Bonifacio, "El Supremo"

alexpz@TMW

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
Presumably that is when the DND-AFP will reveal its choices for several modernization projects.

Is it possible for the DND-AFP to pick a choice, do the transaction earlier and reveal it this coming July. What I mean is time is of the essence. Sayang kasi ang  oras. We could at least save 3 months of waiting.

miggye

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Is it possible for the DND-AFP to pick a choice, do the transaction earlier and reveal it this coming July. What I mean is time is of the essence. Sayang kasi ang  oras. We could at least save 3 months of waiting.

the time is being given to evaluate ALL prospective options before we make our decisions. also, there are more than 135 contracts to be awarded. you do not rush such decisions, and regret this later on.
Dulce et decorum est, Pro patria mori
De Profundis ad Astra

jammerjamesky

« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2012, 04:01:24 AM »
2012-2016 Italian Navy Schedule

4 Maestrale class frigates
3 Soldati class light frigates
3 Lerici class mine hunters
6 Minerva corvettes
4 small training ships for cadets
1 Stromboli class AOR
1 Submarine rescue ship
4 tugboats

http://www.difesa.it/Sala_Stampa/rassegna_stampa_online/Pagine/PdfNavigator.aspx?d=14-04-2012&pdfIndex=8

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:03:50 AM by jammerjamesky »

urbanmisfit17

• Disgruntled student at work.
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »
@ jammerjamesky

Is that their schedule for decommissioning?

majorpain@TMW

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:04:59 AM by majorpain@TMW »
"Wise men are not always silent, but they know when to be."

jammerjamesky

« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »
@ jammerjamesky

Is that their schedule for decommissioning?

yes sir. green light for decommissioning
gennaio = january
guigno = june
dopo consegna = after delivery of USSP, LSS
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:18:20 AM by jammerjamesky »

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
^ good find, JammerJamesky! :beer:

an online press release by the Italian Defense Ministry?

Partial Google translation :

The restructuring plan :
Cuts in defense, decimated the fleet of the Navy
Disposed 24 units, halved frigate

The background

After the bill on cuts to the armed forces, the Navy is planning a substantial
plan to reduce its fleet. Well-informed sources in the defense sector are expected to know and
disposal, including this year and 2016, has 26 ships between the first and second lines, as well as vessels for the support and crew training.

At first glance, this looks like an action to limit is ascertained and increase the efficiency of the fleet, which inside has combined old-growth. But who knows previous projects, the sale of the Marina, knows that accelerated in the latter and was given considerable. This should affect, reducing, the current capacity operation of the Armed Forces. Therefore, for the fleet as for the remainder of the message passing and 'clear enough: if you cutting means, it also cuts the chance intervene on behalf of international missions, and then generally rely on Italy's influence in politics International geo-strategic.

It provided for the disposal of the Mistral class frigates 4 not upgraded (it remains far too many), 3 of 4 Soldiers patrol team class, 6 of 8 Minerva class corvettes, minesweepers 3 of 4 Lerici class, a class of 2 refuelers team Stromboli , joined the rescue versatile Antaeus, the 4 units for training class tugboats and as many deep-sea lobster.

Compared to the previous schedule to the draft law on cuts to defense, the component of the frigates and offshore patrol records anticipation as to create a temporary reduction of operational line from the start, waiting for the next year to start operating the new frigates FREMM , and the second of which was launched last March 31. According to the original plans should be built FREMM 10, but now they are financed only 6, 2 of which the last part. Although the condition persists for the remaining 4 units, the Navy, together with Defence are considering the construction of new multirole smaller units to be acquired in greater number (something like 6 units) to compensate for the cancellation of the last FREMM.

These ships will replace the Maestrale annually not modernized, which could have a second life as a result of the interest expressed by other navies, including the Peruvian and Philippine. Note that in the latter 'case could be disposed of and subject to revision and modernization works by Fincantieri and Finmeccanica's company, before the final transfer to the final customer. No immediate replacement and instead provided for the three offshore patrol class soldiers, whose Artigliere class president and was withdrawn late last January, as well as for third-class minesweepers and six Lerici class corvettes Minerva, whose disposal is anticipated over five years, and for which a transfer to other navies, at least for the corvettes, would be assessed even for free. Will suffer the same fate 4 offshore tugboats and 4 units for training.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:26:21 AM by 40niner_com »
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

miggye

« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »
Great Work jammerjamesky!! lets see what the PN makes of these :thumbsup:
Dulce et decorum est, Pro patria mori
De Profundis ad Astra

israeli

« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »
Italian Navy Decommissioning Schedule by ship class (my source is, obviously, the great find by Sir jammerjamesky):

2012:

1. one Soldati class frigate (Artigliere)
2. two Minerva class corvettes (Minerva, Sibilla)
3. two Lerici class minehunters (Lerici, Sapri)
4. one Atlante class tug (Promoteo)

2013:

1. one Maestrale class frigate (Maestrale)
2. one Soldati class frigate (Granatiere)
3. one Minerva class corvette (Danaide)
4. three Ciclope class tugs (Ciclope, Gigante, Tenace)

2014:

1. one Maestrale class frigate (Espero)
2. one Minerva class corvette (Urania)

2015:

1. one Maestrale class frigate (Aliseo)
2. one Soldati class frigate (Aviere)
3. one Minerva class corvette (Sfinge)
4. one Lerici class minehunter (Milazzo)
5. some small vessels (Propora, Murena, Astice, Mitilo)
6. one salvage ship (Anteo)

2016:

1. one Maestrale class frigate (Euro)
2. one Minerva class corvette (Driade)
3. one Stromboli class replenishment vessel (Stromboli)

quite an interesting list of ships that the Italians will let go starting this year. let's do something to get most of them. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:54:15 PM by israeli »
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

appolyon

« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Isn't Soldati one of the DND evaluated few months ago? Correct me If I'm wrong... There maybe a good possibility that we will have Italian ships in the future...  :beer:

While GDP Patrols Near Palawan, one of Italian ships we will have could patrol near Scarborough Shoals  :twisted:
"Start with game-plan then have a will"
                                                        - CP

Idle minds makes crimes... General Armchair is more busy than them...

zaidanR

• Numquam pugnare aequis
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
Great find indeed!  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if acquiring italian corvettes is part of PN's plans however getting those 2 Minerva's ,

Minerva class corvettes (Minerva, Sibilla)

could be a good addition to our 3 Jacintos, and to think this ship packs more punch than our Jacintos.

Weapons, missiles and torpedoes

Minerva Class warships are armed with a single 76/62mm gun. Six anti-submarine warfare torpedoes of 324mm are also installed. Missile systems include eight Aspide missiles along with Albatros surface-to-air missile systems, manufactured and supplied by MBDA Missile Systems.

The missile development company has also developed a new version, named Aspide 2000. The new version is capable of defending consort ships against air attacks and can provide close area defence for the launch ship. Marina Militare is currently upgrading the existing Albatros system to suit the new missile version.

The Gabbiano Sfinge 554 was armed with eight grenade launchers and two bombs, two torpedoes and towing and a 100/47 gun. It was powered by dual diesel engines of 3,500HP and two electric motors. The maximum speed was 18kt.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/minerva-corvette/

israeli

« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

-- Minerva class corvette. (Source: naval-technology.com)

do you guys think that the Minervas should be considered by the PN alongside the Maestrales and the Soldatis despite the fact that the Minervas lacked SSM and helicopter-launching capabilities unlike its bigger sisters?

oh, by the way, i mentioned earlier about the possibility that we can reactivate our mine warfare capabilities by acquiring Lerici class minehunters. now that the Italians are actually planning to give up the Lericis, we now have the opportunity to check those ships out as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:58:24 PM by israeli »
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
...do you guys think that the Minervas should be considered by the PN alongside the Maestrales and the Soldatis despite the fact that the Minervas lacked SSM and helicopter-launching capabilities unlike its bigger sisters?
Take note on the Press Release backgrounder, that the Minervas might even be given for free. Even if this will be gutted, funds permitting, we can easily upgrade this to OPV level and nominally replace the Malvars. (Although I always have reservations on having surplus as OPV as oppose to new builds.)  If this would be the case, new builds would instead be smaller OPVs to replace the CPIC (Kagitingan/Aguinaldo) and will be more similar to the USCG's Sentinel FRCs.

We are not alone in the bid for the decommissioning frigates, as we all know that Peru might also be interested.  Peru also has relatively deep pockets, but it has already made some commitments for the upgrade of their existing (ex-Italian) Lupos.    Take note that the ITS Artigliere is mentioned as having been decommissioned last January, and may already be available for transfer.  Per previous experience, transferred ships had to undergo reactivation and (reasonable) refurbishment.  Fincantieri will surely lobby for this, as such would also prop up to sagging Italian economy.  Italy is really in dire economic straits that even their proud navy had be decimated.

... possibility that we can reactivate our mine warfare capabilities by acquiring Lerici class minehunters. now that the Italians are actually planning to give up the Lericis...
This really is a good opportunity.  We can ask for a preferential acquisition cost since we could be doing a lot buy.  Minehunters could double patrol boats.
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

Sniper

• One shot one kill!
« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
nice find, very interesting and can't wait for DND to announce what they will get on July.  :beer:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... smells like "Victory!"

"It cannot be a China that threatens other countries. It cannot be a China that threatens, you know, to go after their territories and create territorial disputes." -Leon Panetta

For art sake... It's lose not "loose"!@!