Author Topic: Looking at Italian equipment?  (Read 185134 times)

Shorty_1972

Re: Looking at Italian equipment?
« Reply #555 on: June 20, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
PH Air Force also wants Russian, Italian, UK fighter jets
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/06/20/12/ph-air-force-also-wants-russian-italian-uk-fighter-jets

So we may not end up with the TA-50 as our main A2A asset?  The article puts the "fighter" acquisition in the same time frame with the TA-50 delivery.
To the everlasting glory of the infantry...
Shines the name, Shines the name...
Of Rodger Young...

tagalacion@tmw

« Reply #556 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:17 PM »
I was wondering if these were the 'surprise' this forumer that starts with 'z' in that "other Philippines Defense Forces Forum" was teasing.

Hi Mr Booger.  I used to lurk in PDFF myself until last year.  Is this the same 'Z' who 'teased' everybody that the PAF was going to get F/A-18's by the end of 2011 (or early 2012) c/o his 'classmate' whom he said was serving in some branch of the US Armed Forces?  If that's the case, let's take his 'tease' with tons of salt. 

Cheers.  :thumbsup:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

tagalacion@tmw

« Reply #557 on: June 20, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »

So we may not end up with the TA-50 as our main A2A asset?  The article puts the "fighter" acquisition in the same time frame with the TA-50 delivery.

IMHO, maybe the '12 fighter jets' referred to in the article are the same TA-50's SND had already said we're acquiring?  After all, isn't a TA-50 arguably a jet fighter, albeit of the lightweight kind?

Defense Assistant Secretary Patrick Velez told The STAR the jet fighters would be acquired from suppliers based in South Korea, Italy, United Kingdom and Russia.

I think this is the confusing part.  If the TA-50 had indeed already been chosen, why did Def.Ass.Sec. Velez still mention Italy (Master), United Kingdom (Hawk), and Russia (Mitten) in the news article? 

Did he mean that the worst suspicions of some of us here are true - that the TA-50 isn't truly a done deal yet? 

Or did he mean that, in addition to the TA-50, we're also planning to get another LIFT squadron from another country?  (Though I don't think that'd make sense, at any level...)

Or was Mr Shorty_1972 really on to something there when he speculated (based on PNoy's statements) that another squadron - this time MRFs - might be forthcoming?  In that case, mentioning South Korea (FA-50/surp F-5's), Italy (surp EF2000T1/Tornado), UK (surp EF2000T1/Tornado), and Russia (SU-27/30) would then make sense - though a bit unrealistic, except for the FA-50 IMHO.

Or could this just be another case of media brain fart?   :eyes:

Thanks.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

jiechelle

• So...you think that you know me.... think again
« Reply #558 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
my brains getting fried with all this unconfirmed information coming from the news, net, forums etc etc... let just all wait for the official announcement... :eyes:
I may speak softly, but i carry a BIG STICK!!!!!!

QB

« Reply #559 on: July 07, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
PHL, Italy reinforce strategic ties DFA

July 8, 2012 10:11am

The Philippines and Italy reaffirmed their strategic ties after a visit by a 15-member Philippine team to Rome to strengthen political and security relations between the two countries late last month.

Sent by the Department of National Defense (DND) at the invitation of the Italian Ministry of Defense, the 15-member Joint Visual Inspection (JVI) team followed up discussions on further strengthening political and security ties.

"Various calls and meetings were also conducted with relevant Italian officials. The group made a call on Brigadier General Pintus, the Commanding General of the Artillery Regiment; Colonel Scarcella, representative of the MOD; and Major Millazzo, Major Torre and Lt. Colonel Quaglierro together with Mr. Gerry of Oto Melara," the Department of Foreign Affairs said.

It said the visit was conducted from June 18 to 27.

During its visit, the team visited the Italian Defense Office (MOD) as well as other command artillery and warehouses and operational exhibits.

Also, the team made a courtesy call on Philippine Ambassador to Italy Virgilio Reyes Jr. LBG, GMA News

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/264611/pinoyabroad/news/phl-italy-reinforce-strategic-ties-mdash-dfa

redcomet_m

« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
the news would have been more spicier if someone from MBDA or Selex came. Anyway its good to know.

mamiyapis

« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
It looks like the Italian armored assets are moving to the Philippines. Not to mention arty... Very nice.

dry ice

« Reply #562 on: July 08, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »
Are they looking for an armored asset with big guns?

B1 Centauro.
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/centauro_b1.htm

or why not go to Spain?
ASCOD 105
http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product2290.html

Or Sweden with their CV 90120
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/cv90120t.htm

Anyway these are just my thoughts, I dont want this to turn to "What ifs" and "Fantasies".  :lol:

mamiyapis

« Reply #563 on: July 08, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »
Army has long been looking into the tank destroyer concept. They settled on the Centauro awhile back... so if the Italians make that available, then all bets are off.

redcomet_m

« Reply #564 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
i was looking more into their FH70s and the Dardos. But if they are considering the Centauro, that would be great!

Pudge

• Thats Fapable!
« Reply #565 on: July 08, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
tell me the leopards would not be included for that.... :(
-Who Dares Wins-
-Mess with the Best , Die like the Rest-
-The Pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow!-

Sandy

« Reply #566 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
  Most likely candidate for the PA. The VCC (M113) APC of the Italian Army.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:41:26 PM by Sandy »

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
« Reply #567 on: July 08, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
About the VCC1

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=30307.0

Most likely candidate for the PA. The VCC (M113) APC of the Italian Army.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:46:46 PM by Adroth »
Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

horge

« Reply #568 on: July 08, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:33:06 PM by horge »
Whatever my comments, I do not have all the facts.
Neither does the military.

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #569 on: July 08, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
VCC 1, aka 'Camillino' is the italian version of the M113 and has received additional armor modules on the hull sides and light turret for .50.  It actually looks like the AIFV hull, sans the bulbous front.

The full M-113 look-alike is known as VCC 2, which is also licensed-produced.
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]