Author Topic: AFP ordered to boost deployment of rapid reaction forces  (Read 4487 times)

Stealth Maverick

AFP ordered to boost deployment of rapid reaction forces
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
AFP ordered to boost deployment of rapid reaction forces
By Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) Updated March 19, 2012 12:00 AM

Armed Forces resource managers were ordered to collaborate in building a capability to deploy two joint rapid reaction forces to be located strategically in Luzon and Mindanao.

The DND planning guidance, a copy of which was obtained by The STAR, said the forces would address two major contingencies in any part of the country at the same time.

DND said each of the joint forces would consist of an infantry battalion capable of air mobile operations, a mechanized infantry battalion, a marine battalion capable of amphibious operations, a squadron of tactical helicopters, a squadron of close air support aircraft, a heavy airlift aircraft and a strategic sealift vessel.

“In order to establish this capability, joint combat maneuver and supporting forces should have the means to move (like airlift and sealift platforms) on short notice,” the planning guidance read.

tagalacion@tmw

Re: AFP ordered to boost deployment of rapid reaction forces
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, timawa sirs, but does the PN and PAF have enough sea/air lift assets to equip 2 maneuver forces on Luzon and Mindanao?  Or was this directive meant to become operational when the MRV, C-130's, medium lift transports (i.e. C-27A, CN-235, etc), Sokols, UH-1H, Huey II's, and other assets arrive?

As of right now, why not prep one large maneuver force in the Visayas (e.g. Panay, Negros, or even Cebu) in the meantime? 

From this layman's point of view, won't it be better to:
(a) equip one large maneuver force with everything we got rather than fielding two under-equipped units, and;
(b) base them centrally from where they can respond to either Luzon or Mindanao faster?

I know laymen like me ought to 'butt-out' of strategic matters but a "learned" input on this would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

(And if you must heap scorn, please be kind.  Remember: I'd probably only be good enough for a rifle - not a sabre - or clean latrines if I was ever called up to this man's army.  :eyes:)
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
^ It's a major strategy direction of being able to fight two separate skirmishes AT THE SAME TIME.

From the news report -- a multi-service unified command structure is (would be) required.  This will possibly be separate from the traditional lines of the services or topographical unified commands, and may have to be reporting directly to the CSAFP, with services as force providers.  Attaining cohesiveness and limit rivalry would be a challenge for any prospective commander.

Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

Stealth Maverick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
I think this is the Joint Maritime Force that President Noy have declared in his SONA in 2011:

1.1.2. A Joint Maritime Force (Sea-Air) is being restructured to carry out missions in the West Philippines Sea to protect vital resources and sea exploration activities. At the same time, initiatives are being made to revive the Air Defense Organization focused on the airspace of priority areas in western Philippines.
 (excerpts from the 2011 SONA Technical Report: 1. Protecting our National Territory and Boundaries)

But this was discussed extensively in a previous post of Mr. Defense Economist... apparently, i read through it... and i think... the proposition is partly correct...he just mixed up the participation of an Air Force officer in the entire scheme of things.

However, the National Maneuver Force is already existing that is the Light Reaction Battalion and the Marine Corps, Airlift and the Sealift Component will naturally be provided by Air Force and Navy, and of course the Air Cover provided by attack squadron.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:08:12 PM by Stealth Maverick »

talent_ed

• The Truth will shine brightest.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »
There is nothing out there better trained, equipped and ready as a National Maneuver Force/Expeditionary Force than the Marine Battalion Landing Teams.

We already have that capability. It is just a matter of supporting and sustaining them with better mobility, weapons and current area surveillance technology.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:43:24 AM by talent_ed »
Ah, Engineering Courses in PMA, success! Thank you

CAPABILITY-based acquisition not Availability based.

phichanad

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »
From who does Mr. Alexis Romero get his sources from the DND? Are all the infos he's getting have approval for media release or not? I noticed that he always gets a copy of DND or AFP plans (although not sure if they are real).

horge

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »
Political ground-prep for the next round of MRV haggling in the Houses of Congress.
Whatever my comments, I do not have all the facts.
Neither does the military.

Tora^2

• In Altum Vola
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »

DND said each of the joint forces would consist of an infantry battalion capable of air mobile operations, a mechanized infantry battalion, a marine battalion capable of amphibious operations, a squadron of tactical helicopters, a squadron of close air support aircraft, a heavy airlift aircraft and a strategic sealift vessel.

Would those be SAA/LIFT aircraft again? Another bid to procure armed helicopters or those alleged Ov10 replacements?
Code of a Timawan

Sir,

A Timawan does not lie, does not spam, does not flame nor tolerate any of those who do so and a Timawan must cite his sources in his post,

Sir

“Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” - Prof. Edward Teller

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

I support Heidi Mendoza

old and tired

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
There must be a tactical response plan. The rapid reaction ground maneuver elements should not be based in one location alone. They should be dispersed in strategic locations to ensure security, coordination and effective area-wide response. Highway and secondary road systems must receive regular public works support infrastructure maintenance. Better roads means faster response. AFP/PNP traffic control and coordination along routes is essential for rapid movement. Familiarity with secondary or alternate routes is good. Highway and road routes should have ground security forces in camps, detachments and mobile/static/hasty checkpoints which will provide security and/or support for mechanized infantry flying columns. Air support elements can be added to reinforce the rapid reaction ground force.  Just my opinion.           
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:39:57 AM by old and tired »
A Just War Doctrine is preferable than a damaging and self-defeating peace at all costs.

"Know your soldiers and look after their well-being"-Leadership Principle

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive Treason from within." -Cicero

"Any appeasement of tyranny is Treason to this Republic and to the Democratic ideal."
-William Allen White

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson

Stealth Maverick

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
This Rapid Deplyment Force should be able to make use of our existing infrastructure and equipment... like a forced landing on national highway as well as landing on board of helicopter to any coast guard or navy ships that have helicopter landing platform. They will propbably utilized all body armor and NVG available in our inventory. There should be an increased tri-service interoperability exercises. I wonder what would have happen to AFP SOCOM and existing unified Area Command with this new developments?

dallas101

• we do not run... we fallback
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the marines job to be the country's Rapid Reaction Force? That's why they are trained to be air mobile and amphibious? isn't it? that's why they have their own Armour, Artillery they even have their own special forces (recon marines). 

How about just augment the already existing units with Equipment's, Vehicles that would greatly enhance their mobility.

What is the job of CCSB again?

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
Political ground-prep for the next round of MRV haggling in the Houses of Congress.

To the close followers of the PN MRV Project, that is as clear as the day. I am glad the military application is now emphasized. I was never a fan of the disaster response angle, PN and AFP were trying to sell to Congress. I guess the president's and current environment's lean towards a capably-armed Philippines has given the AFP PR people a new-found angle to peddle to the pursers.

The latest PR campaign could work both ways though. If Congress sees the project the PN and AFP way, then the MRV could finally be put together in Indonesia or South Korea. But if Congress sees the project as too big and too costly for the application PN and AFP is envisioning it to handle primarily, then the latest PR campaign could put an end to the long struggle to have at least one MRV.

Subaybayan ang susunod na kabanata.
PN according to Manokski:
"something gray with a side number on it that floats"
PAF according to Ramon J. Farolan:
"we are now basically a helicopter fleet"
PA according to drkula
"it is better to talk forever than fight forever"

Anak ni sarge

"Applying the standards of the rest of the country for what is acceptable and logical behavior in order to predict what this group of people will do is dangerous and can be faulty. Too many analysts and military commanders have already made that same mistake."
ka nognog

horge

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Subaybayan ang susunod na kabanata.

Can't quite bear to.
Had my hopes crushed too many times already.

:(

Siningit pa ang SAA requirement
:P  :P  :P
Whatever my comments, I do not have all the facts.
Neither does the military.

Stealth Maverick

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
The idea behind this joint rapid reaction forces is similar to Air-Sea Battle Concept, utilizing special ground, air and naval forces that can be deployed either by airlif or sealift assets. Air force would naturally provide air cover while navy will provide naval gun support. The air force should be able to operate with minimum basing requirements and minimum tech support while navy shoul be able to operate on litoral area where they can easily support and deploy forces near shores or offshore locations.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:03:32 PM by Stealth Maverick »

Fibonacci

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
a mechanized infantry battalion,
Sirs, how many armoured assets comprise 1 mechanized battalion?