Author Topic: Retitled: Japanese Patrol Vessels  (Read 112091 times)

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
Re: Japan Patrol Boats
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
The Nikkei Shimbun newspaper reported on 22 March that the Philippines had requested two 1,000-ton class, 100 m-long patrol vessels and 10 180-ton class, 40 m-long patrol vessels.

The official denied that such a request had been made and said discussions were ongoing.

Are we talking surplus ships or new builds?   100-mtr @ 1,000 tons would be quite light.

For reference :

JMSA's Shiretoko PL101 is the lead ship of a 28-ship 78-mter, 1,350tons-F/L Large Patrol Ships and were commissioned between 1978-82.

PL61 Hateruma is the lead ship of 9-ship modern Large Patrol Ship. 89 meters, 1,300 tons f/l and commissioned in 2008 to 2010.

40-meter / 180-tons would be around the size of our BRP Emilio Aguinaldo.
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

40niner_com

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
But...
The Yomiuri Shimbun
Govt mulls providing patrol ships to R.P.
(Apr. 4, 2012)

The government is considering providing the Philippines with patrol vessels and a sea-ground communications system as part of its official development assistance, according to sources.

The Foreign Ministry plans to dispatch officials to the Philippines in May to determine the type and number of patrol vessels to be sent to the country, the sources said.

... using a yen loan to provide the vessels and grant assistance for the communications system...

... patrol vessels equipped with bulletproof windows are regarded as arms, their export is usually banned under the three principles on arms exports. However, the government offered such ships to Indonesia in 2006 as an exception to the principles.

The principles were eased in December with the introduction of regulations allowing exports of defense equipment for humanitarian purposes.

If the government decides to send the vessels to the Philippines, it will be the first case under these regulations.

Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.

phichanad

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
Are we talking surplus ships or new builds?   100-mtr @ 1,000 tons would be quite light.

For reference :

JMSA's Shiretoko PL101 is the lead ship of a 28-ship 78-mter, 1,350tons-F/L Large Patrol Ships and were commissioned between 1978-82.

PL61 Hateruma is the lead ship of 9-ship modern Large Patrol Ship. 89 meters, 1,300 tons f/l and commissioned in 2008 to 2010.

40-meter / 180-tons would be around the size of our BRP Emilio Aguinaldo.

The report indicates that the request is to be part of a "Development Aid", another term for "Loan". Usually development aid from Japan in the form of transportation/vehicles are new. So there might be a chance that it could be a "Hateruma" class. This class is reportedly chosen for increased production to replace the '80s-era "Shiretoko" class and if the PCG is fast enough, maybe the PCG can also request for the possible transfer of some ships from this class when they are decommissioned from the JCG.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:27:47 PM by phichanad »

groundpounder

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
But...
The Yomiuri Shimbun
Govt mulls providing patrol ships to R.P.
(Apr. 4, 2012)

The government is considering providing the Philippines with patrol vessels and a sea-ground communications system as part of its official development assistance, according to sources.

The Foreign Ministry plans to dispatch officials to the Philippines in May to determine the type and number of patrol vessels to be sent to the country, the sources said.

... using a yen loan to provide the vessels and grant assistance for the communications system...

... patrol vessels equipped with bulletproof windows are regarded as arms, their export is usually banned under the three principles on arms exports. However, the government offered such ships to Indonesia in 2006 as an exception to the principles.

The principles were eased in December with the introduction of regulations allowing exports of defense equipment for humanitarian purposes.

If the government decides to send the vessels to the Philippines, it will be the first case under these regulations.

Hopefully, they are here.

jammerjamesky

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
One of the pending request last year was for the Japanese made Radar and number of communication equipment for DOTC. 

Chuck Hill

• CGBlog
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »

Two things. I have frequently seen reference to 1,000 ton patrol boats as if were a type of ship not that they are specifically 1,000 tons. And also many Asian nations attempt to minimize their construction and will quote a type of displacement well below their full load displacement, such as "light" displacement.

laruku

Japan Provides Patrol Ships to the Philippines against China
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported on Thursday that Japan has decided to provide the Philippines with patrol ships, to support the island country in its territorial dispute against China.

The newspaper said that Japan has decided to provide vessels, including one-thousand ton patrol ships, to the Philippines by the end of the year. The move comes after the Japanese government eased last year the Three Principles of Arms Export, which bans Japan from exporting its arms.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_In_detail.htm?No=89090

40niner_com

Re: Japan Provides Patrol Ships to the Philippines against China
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
Thanks, but the update* should have been posted and merged with this :

Japan Patrol Boats
http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=30787.15

* Take note of the dates, though... it doesn't add up.

laruku

Re: Japan Provides Patrol Ships to the Philippines against China
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
Yes thanks for the info, actually I noticed the date too, but if it is appropriate to add it up in the http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=30787.15 that will be okay, i just dont know how.

I just hope it wouldnt end up adding confusion. Cheers...  :beer:

rvricaforte

Japanese ships to boost PH Navy vs China: report
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Japanese ships to boost PH Navy vs China: report

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/05/17/12/japanese-ships-boost-ph-navy-vs-china-report

ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 05/17/2012 7:19 PM | Updated as of 05/17/2012 7:19 PM
 MANILA, Philippines - The Japanese government allegedly plans to give patrol ships to the Philippines to strengthen its defense against China amid their territorial row, a report from South Korea said Thursday.

The vessels, which include 1,000-ton patrol ships, will be delivered by yearend, according to a Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) report.

KBS based its report on a story published by Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun.

The South Korean media company, the biggest television network in the country, said the handover of patrol ships is being made possible by Japan's decision to ease the Three Principles of Arms Export law that prevents Tokyo from selling its weapons abroad.

Nihon Keizai Shimbun said the Japanese government wants to help boost Manila's maritime safety capabilities in the West Philippine Sea.

The Philippine and Japanese governments have yet to confirm the report.

Wescom up for modernization

Meanwhile, Armed Forces chief Gen. Jessie Dellosa on Thursday said the Western Command (Wescom), which oversees security over the West Philipppine Sea, will be given priority in the military's ongoing modernization program.

Dellosa, who was at the Wescom headquarters in Puerto Princesa City, said the command is now the main concern of the Armed Forces because of issues in the West Philippine Sea, according to Wescom chief Lt. Gen. Juancho Sabban.

"In terms of capabilities and facilities, we are now the priority in the modernization or upgrade," Sabban said.

"To me, it's just in consonance with the national policy of the President that we should prepare ourselves and we should be able to protect our sovereignty and territory," he added.

Sabban said the priority equipment that Dellosa cited include frigates, reconnaissance planes, and radar.

He said bad weather prevented the Armed Forces chief from going to Pagasa Island in the Spratlys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

israeli

Re: Retitled: Japanese patrol boats
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
supposing this plan pushes through, are those ships going to be demilitarized before being transferred to us given the fact that Japan's Constitution forbids the export of weapons and equipment that can be used for war? also, will the PCG be the beneficiary of these vessels?

thanks!
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

franning

• MBAC 21
  • Ibong Adarna
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
supposing this plan pushes through, are those ships going to be demilitarized before being transferred to us given the fact that Japan's Constitution forbids the export of weapons and equipment that can be used for war? also, will the PCG be the beneficiary of these vessels?

thanks!

Israeli.. they amended their constitution regarding military export.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jvzUCRkinlJ-waI6rQEVVLf4nOvg

http://business.newsplurk.com/2011/12/japan-relaxes-weapons-export-ban.html

israeli

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
^ thanks. :)

i'm actually a bit confused with their recent actions. with them "relaxing" their export ban, does it mean that they already made amendments to their Constitution that they will now be able to fully sell and/or transfer weapons and equipment to other countries? could it also mean that the ban stays but the transfer of demilitarized Japanese EDAs will be made faster through "relaxed" rules?
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

XM1MBT

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
If an opportunity arises such as additional modernization
Budget
There are great items on the Japanese Defense Forces that
Can be very useful
Diesel Mitsubishi CJ jeeps
Radar and communications gear
Maritime patrol boats
Maritime Patrol aircraft that has the legs
Shinmewa flying boats
4x4 light armored vehicles
Soon to be retired F4EJ
Maybe soon to be retired Type 74
Just a few

STAND BY TO REPELL BOARDERS!!!

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!

Duty, Honor, Country, Sempre Fi

F4 Phantom II "the Largest Supplier of MIG SPARE PARTS in the World" Established Since 1962

40niner_com

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
Most likely they will tread lightly and be prudent.  Politics, local public opinions and international reaction will likely influence any future transfer.  As long as they project the items as 'equipment for development and progress', it will be tolerated.  I believe that not only coast guard could be the recipient, BFAR is another agency that could benefit from them.  Term the donation as a project to enhance 'the protection of the environment and monitoring of fishing laws'.  It will sell.  BFAR ships are manned by PCG anyway.