PGMA leads renaming of B.R.P. Ang Pangulo to B.R.P. Ang pag-asahttp://www.gov.ph/news/?i=23792
President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo will lead tomorrow (Friday) the commemoration of the 50th Commissioning Anniversary of the Presidential Yacht B.R.P. Ang Pangulo and its renaming to B.R.P. Pag-asa at Pier 13 of the South Pier.
The renaming of the vessel is meant to reflect the hope it has often brought with it on its numerous missions around the country, particularly in times of calamity and natural disaster.
The event is hosted by the Philippine Navy, which uses the vessel as an auxiliary transport.
The President will unveil the historical marker at the quarterdeck, after which, she will proceed to the 2nd deck level for the renaming ceremonies.
She will then witness the casing of the ship’s official seal as B.R.P. Pangulo and then the casing of the ship’s new official seal as B.R.P. Pag-asa.
The President will then proceed to the 3rd deck level for the unveiling of the ship’s new name plate “Pag-asa.”
The vessel was built in Japan as part of that country’s war reparations to the Philippines. At the initiative of President Carlos P. Garcia, the vessel was designed specifically for use as a presidential yacht by Filipino naval engineers, and was christened with its original name of R.P.S. Lapu-Lapu and commissioned into the Navy on March 7, 1959 as its flagship, a status it held until December, 1961.
President Diosdado Macapagal in the following year ordered its conversion to a naval troop transport, renaming it R.P.S. Roxas after the fifth President of the Philippines in rites led by Mrs. Trinidad Roxas.This was the first time a navy ship had been named in honor of a president.
Later the vessel was renamed R.P.S. The President and then B.R.P. Ang Pangulo by President Ferdinand E. Marcos, who restored its use as the presidential yacht, a status it has retained in all succeeding presidencies to the present day.
President Macapagal himself used another, older, presidential yacht, the R.P.S. Santa Maria, which he renamed R.P.S. Pag-Asa, the name by which it had also been called a decade earlier under President Ramon Magsaysay. This ship was later decommissioned by the Navy in 1993.
It is in honor of these earlier periods under Presidents Magsaysay and Macapagal, and to emphasize its service to the people throughout the archipelago, that the B.R.P. Ang Pangulo has been renamed B.R.P. Pag-Asa by President Arroyo.
As it has throughout the Arroyo administration and over its 50 year life, the vessel, operated by Naval Taskforce “Sealion”, continues at the President’s instruction to carry out relief and medical missions all over the islands, aid in emergency search and rescue efforts, perform naval functions, promote tourism, culture and local products, as well as serve the presidency and the government.
The following is the text of a historical marker to be unveiled by the President during the 50th anniversary ceremonies:
B.R.P. PAG-ASA (AT-25)
THE PRESIDENTIAL YACHT
One of 15 ocean-going vessels provided by the Government of Japan as part of war reparations to the Republic of the Philippines during the administration of President Carlos P. Garcia, what was first called Bow No. 77 was designed as the Presidential Yacht by Filipino naval engineers and built at the Ishikawajima Dry-Docks in Tokyo.
Its keel was laid at the Harume Yard on July 16, 1958 and the vessel was launched on October 16 of that year. Sea trials were conducted under Lt. Cmdr. Manuel Mandapat PN, its first commanding officer, on February 9 and 10, 1959. It was designated the flagship of the Philippine Navy by President Garcia through Executive Order on February 13, 1959, and delivered to the Philippine Government on February 28. It was christened R.P.S. Lapu-Lapu (PY-77) and commissioned into the Philippine Navy on March 7. On April 2, the vessel arrived in Manila.
The first presidential engagement held aboard took place on April 7, 1959, and the ship’s first mission, a trade and cultural floating exposition with ports of call in Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, was carried out from April 19 to June 4, 1959. The vessel has since been extensively used for relief, emergency search and rescue, patrol, auxiliary transport and command vessel purposes in addition to performing its duties to the presidency and the government. Many distinguished persons, including General Douglas Macarthur on his sentimental journey in 1961, and numerous heads of state and government, have been aboard as official guests.
Flagship status was revoked by President Diosdado Macapagal on December 31, 1961, and the vessel was renamed R.P.S. Roxas (TP-71) on October 9, 1962, the first instance of a naval ship being named in honor of a Philippine president. It was renamed R.P.S. The President (TP-777) by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on January 11, 1967 and renamed anew as B.R.P. Ang Pangulo (TP-777) on July 1, 1971. Its hull number was altered to AT-25 by President Corazon C. Aquino on September 24, 1986. From 1998 to 2000, extensive refurbishment took place under President Joseph Ejercito Estrada.
On March 6, 2009, the eve of its 50th commissioning anniversary, the ship was renamed B.R.P. Pag-Asa (AT-25) by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in fitting ceremonies celebrating an outstanding legacy of service to the Republic.
The marker was provided by the Office of the President through the Malacañang Museum, in coordination with the National Historical Institute.
And, since its Friday, the President, who is now the climate czar, will also inspect and will be given a briefing by Commander Galang on the waste management project of the BRP Ang Pag-asa.