Author Topic: Philippines to buy brand-new jet fighter, but not necessarily from US  (Read 42838 times)

graywolf96

• Jet Stream
MANILA, Philippines - President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday said the country is poised to buy a brand-new fighter jet - the first for the Armed Forces of the Philippines in seven years.

Aquino said the fighter jet, which he said would be a lead-in trainer fighter at the minimum, will not be bought from the United States, the usual source of Philippine military assets.

"We do not have any fighter jets right now – zero. We only have two trainer jets. But it seems we now have the capability to buy brand new. There is what we call a lead-in jet trainer and its airframe can be converted into a fighter jet," the President said.

"Based on the study done by the AFP, it will be more economical for us to buy a brand-new jet. If we buy a cheaper but second-hand jet, it will have a lifespan of two years. A brand-new jet will cost slightly higher but will last for 20 years," Aquino added.

Air Force spokesman Col. Miguel Okol said the new fighter jets should be supersonic, have multifunction displays and be equipped with On Board Oxygen Generation System.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/32086/philippines-to-buy-brand-new-jet-fighter-but-not-necessarily-from-us
Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of a future.
It is a product of our imagination. Causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist.
That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real, but fear is a choice. - Cypher Raige

4threich

• Uncareless whisper
stating the obvious, lead in fighter trainer that can be converted into a fighter jet?

two choices come to my mind..Italians and South Koreans...  :beer:
"Col. Jis op: You can't handle the truth!!!!"
"4threich: You can't even handle your wife.. :P"

Blaze0313

I really dont care what the AFP will procure as of now. LIFT, SAA, or dedicated fighter jets. I just want them now, let their afterburners slice thru our skies.
"Give me a thousand Filipinos and I shall conquer the world" - General Douglas MacArthur

natnat0026

• ME J1 B1
Bloomberg's version....

Philippines to Buy Military Jets Amid Sea Dispute With China (Update 1)

The Philippines may buy two squadrons of military jets for as much as $1.6 billion, President Benigno Aquino said, as the country pushes to modernize its defenses amid a territorial dispute with China.

The government could buy new training jets for between $400 and $800 million per squadron and upgrade the planes to fighters, Aquino told Bombo Radyo today. The seller would be a “progressive nation” and not the U.S., the Philippines’ main ally, he said. A squadron includes between 16 and 24 jets.

“It may be from Europe, or somewhere nearer,” Aquino told Bombo Radyo. “That’s what the Armed Forces of the Philippines is studying to make it more economical.”

-edited-

source

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-16/philippines-plans-to-buy-military-jets-amid-dispute-with-china.html

cesmeria

stating the obvious, lead in fighter trainer that can be converted into a fighter jet?

two choices come to my mind..Italians and South Koreans...  :beer:
Cut it down to one....SK  :beer:
''Avoid war by preparing for it.'' - Gen.Martin Dempsey

"The United States will not look the other way when fundamental principles of the international order are being challenged," USDS Hagel

''Sometimes in life you get things you don't deserve, whether good or bad," Yeng Guiao

Shorty_1972

Air Force spokesman Col. Miguel Okol said the new fighter jets should be supersonic, have multifunction displays and be equipped with On Board Oxygen Generation System.

Supersonic LIFT? I wonder what jet could that be?  :D
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods."

Beam magnum

Sounds like Sweden Super Gripen.

Mayk

a friendly bird just told me that the Italians are currently revising their bids, and may place all of their equipment being offered into one huge Super-Contract in under what the PH has for the Modernization Budget. :D....

With the Italian economy in a recession, we are in a better negotiating position, the M-346 is still a possibility.

davemap

Italians need money with their situation right now....M-346  :2rifles:
""Ano'ng unethical? Talagang gagawin ko! Can you point out to me what law says that I cannot threaten criminals? Shut up!"
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to CHR

“In our country, hundreds of millions of pesos of taxpayer money are squandered not only through corruption but also through projects that were conceived for worthy purposes but were discontinued and abandoned due to the ‘policy of no continuity.’”

Charito Planas

"Kung Ayaw mong Masaktan Mag-Chess Ka Na Lang"

Robert "Big J" Jaworski

davemap

Hoping we can get as much as our money can...we can pattern it with thailand package for 6 Gripen plus a bonus SAAB Erieye AWAC
""Ano'ng unethical? Talagang gagawin ko! Can you point out to me what law says that I cannot threaten criminals? Shut up!"
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to CHR

“In our country, hundreds of millions of pesos of taxpayer money are squandered not only through corruption but also through projects that were conceived for worthy purposes but were discontinued and abandoned due to the ‘policy of no continuity.’”

Charito Planas

"Kung Ayaw mong Masaktan Mag-Chess Ka Na Lang"

Robert "Big J" Jaworski

Beam magnum

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:51:46 AM by Beam magnum »

Tora^2

• In Altum Vola
If Italians want to sell us a trainer jet that can be armed as an attack jet, forget the bloody M346. They should pitch to us AMX ATAs instead
Code of a Timawan

Sir,

A Timawan does not lie, does not spam, does not flame nor tolerate any of those who do so and a Timawan must cite his sources in his post,

Sir

“Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” - Prof. Edward Teller

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

I support Heidi Mendoza

reashot

• Nekomimi Moe
With the Italian economy in a recession, we are in a better negotiating position, the M-346 is still a possibility.

"Brand New" not used

May I recommend to all of you to some good quality Fighter at AFP price:

1. T-50 Golden Eagle.

T-50: US$21 million (2008)
TA-50: US$25 million (2011)
FA-50: US$30 million (2012)

2. Saab JAS 39 Gripen.

JAS:    US$ 40–60 million

3. Yakovlev Yak-130/ Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master.
YAK:

YAK: $15 million

Master:

Master: €20 million

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:17:15 AM by reashot »
"When will our people learn, democracy doesn't work!"
- Homer J. Simpson

Democracy

As this socioeconomic divide grows, so do tensions between social classes. From the conflicts arising out of such tensions, democracy replaces the oligarchy preceding it. The poor overthrow the inexperienced oligarchs and soon grant liberties and freedoms to citizens. A visually appealing demagogue is soon lifted up to protect the interests of the lower class. However, with too much freedom, the people become drunk, and tyranny takes over.

- Plato

damienthedevil

Yak 130 is the same aircraft as the Alenia M346 which is the western equivalent. For Cost M346/Yak 130 will be good for PAF,  its brank new and will serve well for the next 20 years.

jiechelle

• So...you think that you know me.... think again
good afternoon gents..

among the "nice" bird on the list... IMHO we should get the TA-50 from the south koreans... not because im a fan, or because of the technical specs of the said aircraft (the pro's and the con's of the TA-50 has been widely documented here by our fellow timawans)...

it got me thinking what our neighbor the indonesians have done... they recently purchased 16 T-50s and they were granted a squadron of f-5es for free...

http://defense-studies.blogspot.com/2012/03/korea-akan-hibahkan-16-pesawat-tempur-f.html

if we follow the sample of our neighbor... purchasing 12 TA-50s for SAA/LIFT..we might get f-5 for free also... that would mean a total of 24 aircraft on our inventory (f-5e might become an interim fighter and might lose some rust of our pilot/maintenance crew)and in a long term a good force multiplier... plus the rumored revival of the MRV acquisition if we get it also from south koreas, we might get the $2b credit line the koreans have been offering to us (these would get us true blue MRF were been dreaming)... we might be lucky if they would also throw the POHANG as an icing in the cake...

lets face it the koreans need buyers for their aircraft after the singapore and UAE chooses m-346..
I may speak softly, but i carry a BIG STICK!!!!!!