Author Topic: Philippines Acquires MK38 Mod 2 Gun Systems for Navy  (Read 27794 times)

jiechelle

• So...you think that you know me.... think again
Philippines Acquires MK38 Mod 2 Gun Systems for Navy
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
 BAE Systems Land and Armaments Inc., U.S. Combat Systems Division, Louisville, Ky., is being awarded a $24,257,531 firm-fixed-price contract for 21 MK38 Mod 2 machine gun systems and associated spare parts in support of the U.S. Navy and the Philippines.

This contract combines purchases for the U.S. Navy (92.7 percent) and the government of the Philippines (7.4 percent) under the Foreign Military Sales Program.

The MK 38 Mod 2 machine gun system ordnance alteration kit consists of two-axis stabilization with remote control capability and an on-mount day/night electro-optical suite along with an eye-safe laser range finder.

read more: http://www.defense.gov/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=4868

added info for the Mk38 mod 2
As a spiral derivative of the Typhoon Mk 25 Weapon System developed by Rafael, the enhanced Mk 38 Mod 2 is the U.S. Navy's ORDALT choice to upgrade the Mk 38 25-mm Chain Gun. Designed for the mission of ship self-protection, the Mk 38 Mod 2 MGS can be applied to a wide range of different ship classes and platform designs of 50 tons or greater displacement. The system's non-penetrating deck design allows for a variety of potential applications throughout hull and superstructure locations to optimize overall operational effectiveness.

The Mk 38 Mod 2 main weapon is the M242 Bushmaster 25-mm Chain Gun, a proven NATO standard auto cannon with 2.5 km range and selectable rates of fire. The M242 Bushmaster fires all USN-approved 25-mm ammunition at up to 180 rounds per minute, with the Mk 38 Mod 2 providing 168 rounds on-mount.

The Mk 38 Mod 2 system incorporates the service-proven Toplite electro-optical fire control system to optimize effective engagement of enemy targets during day, night and in all weather conditions. Toplite provides 4-axis gimbal stabilization, forward looking infra-red radar with three fields-of-view, a low contrast, low light level color television camera and an eye-safe laser range finder.

http://www.baesystems.com/product/BAES_020038/mk-38-mod-2-machine-gun-system-mgs?_afrLoop=640001078451000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null&baeSessionId=w4JGQLwZByr3hkXq9Pp3nzJJxrlmRf9vXXBCTh8LJQmqT6qSQHHD!92979655

it didnt specificaly says were this gun will be mounted but my best bet will be on BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PF-16).

mods pls transfer this to its appropriate trend. thx.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:31:20 PM by jiechelle »
I may speak softly, but i carry a BIG STICK!!!!!!

darthnbs

• MBAC 21
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Re: Philippines Acquires MK38 Mod 2 Gun Systems for Navy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
Nice find jiechelle!  :beer:

Aut agere aut mori

ManilaBoy40

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »
  Most likely, also 1 unit  for PF-15 and will be brought aboard PF-16 when it arrives here ...  8)
RETIRED FROM THE 9-5 RAT RACE

crazeepilot

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Fantastic news. I hope the sailors with Alcaraz can post some pics.

davemap

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
  Most likely, also 1 unit  for PF-15 and will be brought aboard PF-16 when it arrives here ...  8)
Nope..cause the contract says it would only start delivering on last quarter of 2013 thats if we are the first priority instead of the US Navy..so Alcaraz and Del Pilar would have to wait for another year to get this mouth watering weapon system installed.
""Ano'ng unethical? Talagang gagawin ko! Can you point out to me what law says that I cannot threaten criminals? Shut up!"
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to CHR

“In our country, hundreds of millions of pesos of taxpayer money are squandered not only through corruption but also through projects that were conceived for worthy purposes but were discontinued and abandoned due to the ‘policy of no continuity.’”

Charito Planas

"Kung Ayaw mong Masaktan Mag-Chess Ka Na Lang"

Robert "Big J" Jaworski

dry ice

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
This baby is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_er-dWczdI
on 1:11 parang merong splinter ng bullet na tumatama sa dagat?
21 pieces (ba talaga)? Im sure its not only Alcaraz and Pareng Goyo thats going have a share on these.

What does "This contract was not competitively procured" mean?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:00:50 PM by dry ice »

tagalacion@tmw

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
Great find, Mr jiechelle.  :bravo:

This must be the purchase Rear Adm. Jose Luis Alano mentioned a while back to replace the ones removed by the Americans from BRP Alcaraz and GDP.

Re: Retitled: BRP Ramon A Alcaraz (PF-16) - ex USCGC Dallas [WHEC-716]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

ManilaBoy40

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »
06 September 2012
Philippines Acquires MK38 Mod 2 Gun Systems for Navy

http://defense-studies.blogspot.com/2012/09/philippines-acquires-mk38-mod-2-gun.html
RETIRED FROM THE 9-5 RAT RACE

atty_rcb

• PRIMUS INTER PARES
    • Hooded Angel
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
Alang kalaban na company kumbaga exclusive...

This baby is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_er-dWczdI
on 1:11 parang merong splinter ng bullet na tumatama sa dagat?
21 pieces (ba talaga)? Im sure its not only Alcaraz and Pareng Goyo thats going have a share on these.

What does "This contract was not competitively procured" mean?

Impossible is found in the dictionary of fools

The competitor to be feared the most is the one who never worries about others at all and goes on making himself better all the time --Henry Ford

In critical moments even the very powerful have need of the weakest. ---Aesop ~Zeuxis

They attack the one man with their hate and their shower of weapons. But he is like some rock which stretches into the vast sea and which, exposed to the fury of the winds and beaten against by the waves, endures all the violence -- VIRGIL

“It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right and wrong.”   Jeremy Bentham

ginoginoako

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:36:04 AM »
Nice find Jiechelle.

So we are getting 2 from the 21 that will be purchased. In all likelihood they will really be placed on the Hamiltons.

If these are the one's that  Rear Admiral Jose Luis Alano is talking about, then are they still going to remove the current Mk. 38 that is currently mounted on the quarterdeck of GDP?

Quote from: aris_glock40 on May 31, 2012, 11:38:07 PM

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/06/01/12/ph-navy-needs-bigger-warships

Rear Admiral Jose Luis Alano, Philippine Fleet (PhilFleet) commander, said the country has no choice but to acquire ships like the US Coast Guard’s Hamilton-class cutters because of seasonal changes in the South China Sea that make it treacherous to smaller vessels about half of the time each year.

He added that the Philippine Navy is buying its own Mark 38 “Bushmaster” chain guns that can spew 200 rounds per minute to distances of as far as 6 kilometers. One will be installed on the Dallas (to be rechristened BRP Ramon Alcaraz) and the 2nd will be installed on the BRP Gregorio del Pilar, after the Dallas arrives in Manila sometime in November.

Alano revealed they are also putting in new surveillance and command and control equipment.  “This is part of arrangements when the vessel’s capabilities will be upgraded,” he explained. The equipment is being procured on “cash basis” under the US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program.

redcomet_m

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »
i do hope they put something other than a surface search radar.

r3mu511@TMW

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »
contract info is a bit hazy as to whether these are ordalt kits or whole systems... if it's whole systems then this would mean an additional 25mm for Goyo (or replacing the current non-mod2 25mm), but if it's ordalt kits then this means it's only parts w/c get used to upgrade a current 25mm to mod2 standards... so which is it? ordalt kits or whole systems?

granted the abs-cbn news blurb states "chain guns" (w/c would allude to whole systems, but the defense.gov contract info uses the term ordalt kit...

either way good to see incoming upgrades for the Hams...

-----

especially interesting in the abs-cbn news article is that bit on new surveillance and c2 equipment... wonder what cms PN decided to buy for the Hams? hope also that the new surveillance equip also includes air search radars... well it would be a bit daft to get a c2 system w/o getting an air search radar anyway... this is really exciting :D

I wonder if PN decided to go for the likes of the Genesis cms upgrade w/c was proposed for the ffg7 jtds/wss (since the uscg mk92 is essentially 1/3rd of the jtds/wss)?

getting all excited in anticipation of what cms they got...  :lol:

edit:

wonder if they kept the uyk7/mk92 or decided to gut it out and replace it w/ a new fcs integrated into the cms they intend to buy? mmmm... yummy stuff, gearheads get ready to get all hot and flustered over the Hams new "brains" :lol:

edit2:

wrt incoming italian tech (Mae if still on the plate), I wonder if the surv/cms system choice was made to account for hw/sw logistic commonality? so will we be seeing ipn systems and ran/rtn radars on the Hams?

also, the fact that a c2 upgrade is being mentioned makes me wonder what happened (or will happen) to the sccs the whec's used to have under uscg service... was it completely gutted out during turnover? is the PN foregoing using the sccs anymore? or does it still exist in the Hams (in some reduced capab. form) and this is what they will be augmenting/upgrading? questions, questions... and opsec may mean we don't get answers to any/some of 'em... ah well
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:05:07 AM by r3mu511@TMW »

D_Jackal

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
BAE Systems Land and Armaments Inc., U.S. Combat Systems Division, Louisville, Ky., is being awarded a $24,257,531 firm-fixed-price contract for 21 MK38 Mod 2 machine gun systems and associated spare parts in support of the U.S. Navy and the Philippines.

This contract combines purchases for the U.S. Navy (92.7 percent) and the government of the Philippines (7.4 percent) under the Foreign Military Sales Program.

The MK 38 Mod 2 machine gun system ordnance alteration kit consists of two-axis stabilization with remote control capability and an on-mount day/night electro-optical suite along with an eye-safe laser range finder.

read more: http://www.defense.gov/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=4868

added info for the Mk38 mod 2
http://www.baesystems.com/product/BAES_020038/mk-38-mod-2-machine-gun-system-mgs?_afrLoop=640001078451000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null&baeSessionId=w4JGQLwZByr3hkXq9Pp3nzJJxrlmRf9vXXBCTh8LJQmqT6qSQHHD!92979655

it didnt specificaly says were this gun will be mounted but my best bet will be on BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PF-16).

mods pls transfer this to its appropriate trend. thx.

nice pic and news, I can wait for a year since its better to have it than none for those 2 cutters.
"The worst thing that will happen to you is to miss an opportunity" - Lex Luthor

redcomet_m

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
@rem
i have this idea dangling in my head that the PN is suiting up for 2 systems. The american way and the european way. The GDP and Alcaraz to appease our american ally and the maes to test out if the europeans will teach us technology without breaking bank. best of both worlds i guess since made in china is off the table

oweng1980

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
Wow, another great news for our navy :D, hope the second cutter we have now the Alcaraz will come home to us with this gun intact, and with her as well is the other gun for her sister ship the Del pilar, but if it will be US Navy first, then we have to wait to them to have the first 19 guns, sana paunahin na lang muna nila tayo, tutal 2 lang naman yung sa atin. We dont have the CIWS but we can replaced it by a equally capable gun system, by the way can this gun system actually hit or destroy incoming anti ship missiles?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:27:20 AM by oweng1980 »
"Dont Underestimate the F-5's.......its still a lethal killer in the sky"