Author Topic: latest in Sulu : three marines and two ASG dead in encounter  (Read 1864 times)

TheInsider

latest in Sulu : three marines and two ASG dead in encounter
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
ltcol randolph cabangbang, spokesman AFP western mindanao command

ENCOUNTER: at around 28 0630H Oct 2012, one company from MBLT6 encountered undetermined number of ASG members under Radullan Sahiron and armed followers of Tahil Sali at Brgy Bakong, Patikul, Sulu. The marine company was conducting patrol to verify reports of the presence of kidnap victims in the area. The encounter resulted to 3 marines killed in action and 10 wounded in action. 2 armed men were also killed - one was identified as a certain Kaisar and one unidentified. MAJ GEN REY C ARDO immediately ordered the dispatch of all available air and naval assets to support the engaged troops and to ensure that the KIAs are recovered and the WIAs brought to the nearest medical facility.

dongskie

• Make love not war.
Re: latest in Sulu : three marines and two ASG dead in encounter
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
10 Abu Sayyaf, 4 Marines dead in Sulu clash

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - Senior military officials confirmed Monday that the Abu sayyaf Group which the Marines encountered Sunday morning in Sulu suffered 10 fatalities.

Major Gen. Rey Ardo, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief, said the fatality count suffered by the Abu Sayyaf was based on the bodies recovered from the encounter site in Barangay Bakong, Patikul town.

The military said that among those killed was the grandson of Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron identified as Ismin

The other nine fatalities were identified by village leaders.

The bodies of the bandits have been buried by the military with the assistance of village officials and leaders.

“There was a mass burial late Sunday of the slain militant members and the village leaders helped us identify those killed,” Col. Orlando de Leon, 2nd Marine Brigade chief, said

==========

The firefight between the Marines and the bandits lasted for six hours.

Ardo said that the encounter was very close that most of the injured soldiers were hit by shrapnel coming from the indirect fire of the M79 grenade launchers from the bandits.

“It was a very close firefight,” Ardo said.

The firefight also resulting in the killing of four Marines, who were shot by Abu Sayyaf snipers.

Their bodies were ferried from Sulu and brought to a private funeral home in Zamboanga City.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=200&articleid=864727

RIP to the fallen marines..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:29:38 AM by dongskie »
DO NOT SCORN A WEAK CUB, HE MAY BECOME THE BRUTAL TIGER.

oyster b

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
Several persons have informed me that one of the marine KIA's is a graduate of the university where I work. He took up nursing then joined the PMC. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post his name, but there are FB posts lamenting his death as a marine.

masq

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Unfortunately, here comes the MNLF:

MNLF: Military fighting us not Abu Sayyaf
http://manilastandardtoday.com/2012/10/30/mnlf-military-fighting-us-not-abu-sayyaf/
Ranking officials of the Moro National Liberation Front claimed on Monday that the firefight in Barangay Bakong in Patikul, Sulu, was between the military and its forces and not with the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group as reported by top military officials.

The officials also claimed that the report was aimed at misleading the Moros about the real objective of the military, which was to “drive away MNLF fighters from occupying camps and territories recognized under the 1996 peace accord.”
Haj Gapul Hadjirul, political director of MNLF chieftain Nur Misuari, said that the encounter was part of the military’s “undercover strategy” to target MNLF fighters.

“The other side of the story is that the marines allegedly ordered the manhunt against Commander Dadulan, alias Putol and lairs of the ASG, but it’s their undercover strategy. Instead, they target MNLF fighters barefooted,” Hadjirul said.
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-

masq

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

People view the remains of four Philippine marines, who were killed in an encounter with Abu Sayyaf rebels in Patikul, Sulu, at the marine headquarters in Fort Bonifacio on Tuesday. The clash happened as the marines were looking for the rebels believed to be holding several foreign and local hostages.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/image/images/10/30/12/marines-honored-headquarters

Rest in peace.
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others, crazy?" -Albert Einstein-

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." -Harriet Beecher Stowe-

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde-