Author Topic: DND says they want to buy brandnew frigates, dropping plans to acquire maestrele  (Read 343469 times)

tribumaru

The Department of National Defense (DND) has opened the bidding for the acquisition of two new construction frigates worth P18 billion in light of the planned establishment of a major naval base -- described as a "mini-Subic" -- in Palawan province.

In the invitation to bid, DND Undersecretary Fernando Manalo, head of the special bids and awards committee, said the frigates should be delivered  within a period of 1,460 calendar days from the opening of the letter of credit.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/329248/news/nation/dnd-to-purchase-two-frigates-in-light-of-planned-mini-subic-in-palawan

balaraw

The term "mini-subic" should not have been used by the Philippine Navy to describe the planned creation of the base for our future two frigates or should be clarified by the PN to the media since the term "subic" is associated with the United States armed forces bringing others to speculate that the US is establishing a base in Palawan and the West Philippine Sea. The AFP should be careful in choosing words for the public.

bustero

• MBAC 21
The new base will also serve as a service stop for US ships as announced in the papers thats probably why they penned it as a mini subic.

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
More ships planned.. hope this pushes through:
http://www.interaksyon.com/article/72226/beefing-up--ph-planning-to-acquire-3-submarines-other-military-assets

You are being taken for a ride by some gullible reporters, who have no sense of doing more research and backgrounder.   Take time to back read some of the discussions here.  PN's desired force mix has been a more than a year old discussion here in timawa.  Nothing new on the article.

BTT --
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

israeli

it looks like the PN is looking at the possibility of acquiring multipurpose frigates.

another good news: the Goyo and the Alcaraz are set to be upgraded to "make them more capable in their maritime domain awareness mission."

Defense department to acquire new frigates more capable than Hamilton-class cutters
Created on Tuesday, 08 October 2013
Written by www.pna.gov.ph

The two-brand new frigates which the Department of National Defense (DND) is acquiring for P18 billion is definitely more superior and heavily armed that the two Hamilton-class cutters in Philippine Navy (PN) service.

In an interview with PTV-4's "Good Morning Boss" program, Commodore Jose Renan C. Suarez, the PN's Patrol Force commander, said these ships are equipped with radar, sonar, and electronic warfare systems and can engage airborne, surface and underwater threats simultaneously.

The frigates will be equipped with anti-ship and anti-air missiles and a main gun capable of firing 120 rounds per minute aside from a torpedo system.

<snipped>

Suarez said the new ships are part of the PN's "Navy Frigate Program" from 2013 to 2017.

He added the frigates are designed with numerous upgrades cycle to ensure that they will remain relevant and competitive against new vessels coming in line.

Suarez said these ships will greatly enhance the navy's capability to defend the country's vast maritime territories.

He added these ships will also greatly aid the two Hamilton-class cutters in service, BRP Gregorio Del Pilar (PF-15) and BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PF-16), in their patrol and monitoring work once commissioned at the PN.

He said plans are also afoot to upgrade the BRP Gregorio Del Pilar and BRP Ramon Alcaraz to make them more capable in their maritime domain awareness mission. (Priam F. Nepomuceno/PNA)
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

CerebralScorpion

The bid documents have been made available in PhilGEPS.  I have uploaded a copy of the technical specifications in mediafire, which you can view here http://www.mediafire.com/view/cjw5782dz18176i/Bid(3)

israeli

^ thank you for uploading the technical specs for the frigates. :)

the ITB for the frigate requirement is now on PhilGEPS.

INVITATION TO BID
Frigate Acquisition Project

1.   The Department of National Defense/Armed Forces of the Philippines (DND/AFP), through the Revised AFP Modernization Program with the sum of EIGHTEEN BILLION PESOS (PHP18,000,000,000.00) being the Approved Budget for the Contract (ABC) for the payments under the corresponding contract for the two (2) frigates for the Philippine Navy. Bids received in excess of the ABC shall be automatically rejected at the Bid opening.

2.    The DND/AFP now invites bids for the Acquisition of Two (2) units New Construction Frigates with Ammunition for the Philippine Navy. Delivery of the GOODS is required within a period of 1,460 calendar days from the opening of Letter of Credit. Bidders should have completed, within the last ten (10) years from the date of submission and receipt of bids, a contract similar to the Project. The description of an eligible bidder is contained in the Bidding Documents, particularly, in Section II. Instructions to Bidders.

3.   Bidding will be conducted through a two (2) stage competitive bidding procedures using a non-discretionary “pass/fail” criterion as specified in the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act (RA) 9184, otherwise known as the “Government Procurement Reform Act”.

4.   Interested bidders may obtain further information from DND Bids and Awards Committee (DND SBAC-1) Secretariat and inspect the Bidding Documents at the address given below from Monday to Friday excluding holidays at 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

5.   A complete set of Bidding Documents may be purchased by interested Bidders on October 03, 2013 from the address below and upon payment of a non-refundable fee for the Bidding Documents in the amount of SEVENTY FIVE THOUSAND PESOS (PHP75,000.00).

It may also be downloaded free of charge from the website of the Philippine Government Electronic Procurement System (PhilGEPS) and the website of the Procuring Entity, provided that Bidders shall pay the non-refundable fee for the Bidding Documents not later than the submission of their bids.

6.   The DND SBAC-1 will hold its First Stage Pre-Bid Conference on October 11, 2013 at 10:00 A.M. at DND BAC Conference Room, Right Wing Basement, DND Bldg., Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon City, which shall be open to all interested parties.

7.   First Stage Bids must be delivered to the address below on or before October 25, 2013 at 10:00 A.M. All Bids must be accompanied by a Bid Security in any of the acceptable forms as provided in the bidding documents.

8.   First Stage Bid opening shall be on October 25, 2013 at 10:00 A.M. at DND BAC Conference Room, Basement, DND Bldg., Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon City. Bids will be opened in the presence of the Bidders’ representatives who choose to attend at the address below. Late bids shall not be accepted.

9.   Eligible Bidders shall be notified for the Second Stage Bidding Procedure upon completion of the evaluation and validation of the submitted documents during the First Stage Bidding.

10.   To facilitate eligibility checking, interested bidders may apply for registration with the DND SBAC-1, through the SBAC-1 Secretariat not later than ten (10) days from the scheduled submission and opening of bids for the project.

11.   The DND/AFP reserves the right to accept or reject any Bid, to annul the bidding process, and to reject all Bids at any time prior to contract award, without thereby incurring any liability to the affected Bidder or Bidders.

12.   For further information, please refer to:

DND SBAC Secretariat-1 Right Wing Basement, DND Building,
Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon City, Philippines 1110
Telephone No: (632) 982-5626
Telefax No: (632) 421-3531

(Sgd) USEC FERNANDO I. MANALO
USFMIM/Chairman, DND SBAC-1

take note of that the pre-bid conference will be on November 10, 2013, 10:00 AM at the DND BAC Conference Room Basement, Right Wing, DND Bldg. Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City.
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
The bid documents have been made available in PhilGEPS.  I have uploaded a copy of the technical specifications in mediafire, which you can view here http://www.mediafire.com/view/cjw5782dz18176i/Bid(3)

Thanks for sharing Mr. C

Interesting how some sensitive information still appear in the document, which isn't as inaccessible as some folks had originally assumed.

Its been almost 4 years since the AFPMO was advised by the GPPB (and belatedly by the DND-BAC) that anybody with a PhilGEPS account can download specs even if they don't pay for it. Payment is only required to actually take part in the bid . . .

. . . not in accessing the documents.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:18:58 AM by Adroth »
The campaign to establish a Philippine equivalent to DARPA / DAPA / DSTA: http://adroth.ph/srdp_roadmap_darpa/

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

CerebralScorpion

The same thought crossed my mind as I was reading the document, which is why I asked around first before posting.  My guess is that since it is mainly a guide document at this time, and a lot of details may/will change during the project cycle, it is relatively "safe" to have this set of requirements "transparent" for now.

On a side note, we can expect one of the frigs in 3 years time.  Not bad.

40niner_com

One can compare that this (light) frigate / {or heavy corvette} specs is not far off /(or uprated) from the two-year-old (OPV) RFI by USN for PN's requirement
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9b1162ed61353913eddf775b727bf029&tab=cor
e&tabmode=list

Hull :
- Overall Length: At least 80 meters (Not To Exceed 10%)
- Beam: At least 10.5 meters (NTE 10%)
- Displacement (full load): At least 1000 tons (NTE 10%)
- Steel Construction with deep V-shape
- Operating Environment: Operate up to Sea State 6 and survive up to Sea State 7
Operational Capability :
- Speed at full load displacement : No less than 14 knots Cruising Speed and no Less than 20 knots
Maximum Continuous Speed
- Range - Not less than 3500 nautical miles at cruising speed
- Service life : 30 years
Heli-Ops :
* Helicopter deck aft capable of handling one seven ton helicopter for day and night time operations
equipped with:
- Fully functioning control room
- Refueling capability
- Starting utilities and basic maintenance capability
- Stowage for spare rotor blades/parts
Small boat operation :
* two 11 meter Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats (RIBs) capable of being quickly launched from a stern ramp
Weapon systems :
- One stabilized 76 mm Oto Melara rapid fire primary gun
- One stabilized 25 mm secondary gun
- Two 50 cal machine guns mounted P/S
- Gunfire control system with sensors for surface/air search radar and an Electro/Optical fire control
system
Accommodation and Facilities :
*Crew size: Total 75
- 1 Flag rank;
- 14 Officers (to include men and women);
- 57 crew (to include men and women) and;
- 3 civilians
*Habitability shall include spaces for:
- CIC room ; - Helicopter control room
- Pantry ; - Ward Room ; - Two mess halls ; - Fitness room ; - Laundry room
- Sick bay ; - Ship's office ; - Brig ; - DC room and DC locker
- Armory ; - Ammo storage room
- Appropriate numbers of heads for female officers, crew and passengers
Machineries and Electric :
* Propulsion System shall be two main diesel engines with fixed pitch propellers
- 300 KVA bow thruster
* Auxiliary machinery to comply with SOLAS requirements to include:
- Two 550 KVA/60HZ, three phase, diesel generators capable of parallel operation
- One 400 KVA/60HZ ,three phase, diesel emergency generator
- Ship distribution system is single phase, 220VAC, 60 HZ
* Fire fighting systems with smoke and heat detectors, sprinkler systems, fire stations and CO2
- Main and emergency fire pumps
* Air conditioning capable of cooling to 24 deg Celsius all living compartments. The vessel shall be
operating within south east Asian waters
* Oily water separator ; - Fresh water generator ; - Sewage treatment plant
* Refrigerator and freezer capacity for thirty days
* One two-ton deck crane
Nav and Comm / Electronics Suites :
*Comprehensive communications and navigation suite consisting of:
- Public Address System
- Automatic telephone/intercom system
- Sound powered telephone system
- CCTV System
- Two MF/HF SSB 150 watt transceivers with data communications
- Two marine band VHF radios
- One VHF/AM Air Band Radio
- Two VHF/FM low band radios (tactical)
- Two tactical multi band radios
- Two portable tactical multi band radios
- Two UFH radios
- Six VHF/FM band hand held radios
- Satellite Communications Phone system
- One NAVTEX
- One ECDIS System
- One X-Band 255KW with ARPA and AIS Capability
- One S-Band 255KW with ARPA and AIS Capability
- Navigational radars and DGPS
- Fathometer
- Gyrocompass , repeaters, magnetic compass, and autopilot
- Anemometers, barometers, speed log, weather fax, etc,
Combat surveillance systems :
- Surveillance and acquisition radar capable of 3D surveillance and acquisition radar that meet OPV
requirements for combat surface and air defense search
- IFF ability to differentiate and friendly units from unknowns
- Radar fire control system to provide data to 76mm gun and 25mm gun systems trained at the same
target
- Electro Optical Fire Control System for the 76mm and 25mm gun systems
- Electronic Support measures for the passive listening capability for selected radar laser and infrared
warning devices and communications signals from land, air and sea with the OPV battle space
Growth Allowances :
- Ship should have space available for the future growth for SAM, SSM and ECM as well as towed array
sonar equipment

---
One can say that it's only the minimum, and supplier has so much leeway in offering higher capability items that such -- but-- with the least bid amount (2nd stage bid) eventually the determinant... then it becomes less of a impetus.
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.

tagalacion@tmw

As per ITB document, endurance up to 30 days; 4,500 NM range @ 15kts cruise speed; EEZ protection; AAW-, ASuW-, ASW-, and EW-capable. 

PROPULSION MACHINERIES: The vessel shall have a minimum two(2) main propulsion engines which are able to provide desired speeds each coupled with two counter-rotating propellers driven by a reduction gear box. All pr opulsion machineries can be operated using commercially available Philippine standard fuel. The engines shall be fitted with adequate safety monitoring and controlling devices for speed, temperature, pressure and other operational functions. The machinery installation should be suitable for operations

Propulsion isn't specified, though, whether diesel, gas turbine, or both. 

Was this done purposely to make the requirement as generic as possible - meaning, PN might consider all turbine engines, too?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one" - Alexander Hamilton

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

spoon

Weapon systems :
- One stabilized 76 mm Oto Melara rapid fire primary gun
- One stabilized 25 mm secondary gun
- Two 50 cal machine guns mounted P/S
- Gunfire control system with sensors for surface/air search radar and an Electro/Optical fire control
system

Missile system for both/or anti-air and anti ship wasn't specified. Could this be an added feature once it is launched before commissioning or a separate requirement/s?
Build it. And they will come.

40niner_com

^ It's found on the specs.  Go to page 18, 19, 31 of the PDF.  It specified the minimum ammo/missile req't upon delivery.  Also on the main specs it calls for a minimum of :
- quadruple launcher for SAM with at least 6 km range
- two twin launcher for subsonic SSM with at least 50 km range
- two triple launcher for ASW TTs

israeli

To the Moderators: Please change the date on my previous post from 10 Nov 2013 to 11 Oct 2013. I got confused with the way DND writes the date with the conventional system. Thanks!