Author Topic: Merged: The case of USMC Cpl Daniel Smith & the Subic rape case  (Read 15286 times)

prairiefire

Re: Merged: The case of USMC Cpl Daniel Smith & the Subic rape case
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
ang alam ko yung ibang kaso napupunta sa settlement, she settled. Why is this different than others?

Because too many people bet their egos and support for Nicole, who admittedly acted very convincingly in the "rape victim" role. That, plus the loony left in this country took up the cudgels for her kuno, investing a lot of time, effort and money to get her friend, Smith, convicted of rape in a very flawed trial, only to have her recant and thus embarrass them big time.

" Loss of face" can really hurt one's pride, di ba?!

mamiyapis

« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
Hahaha, it's really funny to see gullible people complain when they loose out.  :pirate:

C'mon guys, move along, nothing left to see here...

Tora^2

• In Altum Vola
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
Unfortunately for them, they got carried away to check their facts and when the whole act started to go stale, they decided to keep up the fight to keep their pride
Code of a Timawan

Sir,

A Timawan does not lie, does not spam, does not flame nor tolerate any of those who do so and a Timawan must cite his sources in his post,

Sir

“Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” - Prof. Edward Teller

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

I support Heidi Mendoza

Firenzi

« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
IN THIS GOD-FORSAKEN COUNTRY, EVERYBODY CAN BE BOUGHT, IT ONLY DEPENDS
ON THE PRICE.

a promise of a Green card, job, and a new life convinces Nicole to change her testimony
and statement about the rape case.

anyhow............ I wish Nicole a good luck and God bless her.

Perhaps those Brown-Asian Americans  ( Pinoy in Amerika)  will be happy now ........ since
Smith was free now.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:21:05 PM by Firenzi »
" Unhappy is the land that needs a hero "

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

"Being gullible by supporting the corrupted status quo, is tragic.

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

davemap

« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2009, 08:02:46 PM »
People here are so stubborn...cut your pride...nicole is a loser she doesnt deserve your time....everybody in that bar and my "SOURCE which is a friend of mine" along with her sisters knows what she did that night before the alleged rape.............and every body here who believes she was rape still argues it...please eat your pride thats why the country is in poverty beacuse of this crab mentality.........
""Ano'ng unethical? Talagang gagawin ko! Can you point out to me what law says that I cannot threaten criminals? Shut up!"
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to CHR

“In our country, hundreds of millions of pesos of taxpayer money are squandered not only through corruption but also through projects that were conceived for worthy purposes but were discontinued and abandoned due to the ‘policy of no continuity.’”

Charito Planas

"Kung Ayaw mong Masaktan Mag-Chess Ka Na Lang"

Robert "Big J" Jaworski

Tyrael

« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Gah...I don't get why people give so much importance to this case. Just another rape. Big bloody deal, really. It doesn't really matter if it was a Filipino, an American, an Indian or even a bloody Punjab for that matter.

Pinoys...have too much free time.
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleid=462818

Out of 90.5 million Filipinos, only 3 million are registered as a taxpayer. This is only 3.31%.. Widen tax collection!

ForceRecon

« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
Hahaha, it's really funny to see gullible people complain when they loose out.  :pirate:

C'mon guys, move along, nothing left to see here...

That's right... In the end we must see the bigger picture. ....A picture of two (2) allies in the fight against terror.

(... violins playing in the background)

cebupistol

« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »
It was not rape

Gah...I don't get why people give so much importance to this case. Just another rape. Big bloody deal, really. It doesn't really matter if it was a Filipino, an American, an Indian or even a bloody Punjab for that matter.

Pinoys...have too much free time.

prairiefire

« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2009, 02:54:58 AM »
Agree. It was not rape in the eyes of:

1) NICOLE HERSELF

2) The Court of Appeals

3) The majority of Filipinos

4) The Americans, Smith included.

It was rape in the eyes of:

1) GABRIELA

2) BAYAN

3) The MTC

4) A small, noisy minority of deluded Filipinos

So, who are we going to believe?

What other proof is needed that the alleged rape did NOT occur? :lol: :jeez: Wanta argue with the "victim" herself?

While I would likee very mucho indeed to forget this case and move on, as long as there are deluded people who insist on publicly painting this as a rape case in spite of all the revelations that it is not and never was, I will have to speak back.

A very grave injustice has been perpetrated on Smith by some of us Filipinos, and the least we can do in mnaking amends is to set the record straight, that what he was accused of, never happened.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:01:43 AM by prairiefire »

israeli

« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2009, 04:02:09 AM »
Smith leaves RP after women justices clear him of rape
GMANews.tv
04/24/2009 | 01:27 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Less than 24 hours after his acquittal by women justices of the Philippine Court of Appeals (CA) was made public, Lance Corporal Daniel Smith left the Philippines.

US Embassy spokeswoman Rebecca Thompson said the US government was hoping that all the parties involved would move forward, following the decision of the CA to acquit the US serviceman earlier convicted by a lower court of raping a Filipina in Subic, Zambales.

“Following the decision of the Philippine Court of Appeals, Daniel Smith departed the Philippines under the authority of United States military officials," Thompson said in a statement e-mailed to media on Friday.

She described the case as a "difficult and emotional" one for all involved, especially the families and loved ones of the parties to the case.

"We hope that the parties can move on with their lives," said the spokeswoman.

According to Thompson, the US Embassy observed the terms of the Visiting Forces Agreement while the case of Smith was being tried until he was acquitted by the CA on Thursday, April 23.

“Throughout this long and difficult case, Daniel Smith remained in custody at the US Embassy in the Philippines in compliance with the terms of the Visiting Forces Agreement, which provides the framework for US-Philippine cooperation in legal cases involving visiting U.S. military personnel," she said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) was informed of Smith's return to the US after the Court of Appeals ruled his “immediate release," an official said Friday.

Foreign Affairs spokesperson Ed Malaya told GMANews.TV on Friday that the DFA was told about Smith’s release and subsequent return to the US. He, however, refused to specify when was the agency told about the US serviceman's departure.

“The DFA was duly informed. The Court of Appeals decision stated that Lance Cpl.l Daniel Smith be released immediately. There is no more basis by which he can be held further in custody," Malaya said.

No control over Smith

Evalyn Ursua, the former lawyer of Suzette Nicolas a.k.a "Nicole" who accused Smith of raping her in November 2005, said she was not surprised with the development.

Ursua said the Philippine government never had control of Smith because it allowed the US marine to be moved from the Makati City Jail to the US Embassy in December 2006.

The US Embassy in Manila took custody of Smith after Judge Benjamin Pozon of the Makati Regional Trial Court on December 4, 2006 sentenced the American to 40 years in prison for raping Nicolas.

"Sabi ko kagabi pa baka wala na si Daniel Smith [I suspect Smith was spirited out of the country as early as Thursday night]," Ursua said in an interview on dzBB.

She said the case had been "dead" since Nicolas went abroad last month. Ursua said it might already be impossible to fight for Nicolas because the government seemed not to be interested in questioning Smith's acquittal.

The issues that need to be pursued now are the constitutionality of the RP-US Visiting Forces Agreement and the ethics complaint filed against Smith's lawyers, according to Ursua.

Ursua claimed that Smith's lawyers helped Nicolas execute her affidavit that weakened the accusations against the American. Nicolas hinted in her March 12 affidavit that she was not raped by Smith.

"Ang natitira na issue ang VFA, constitutionality at yung liability ng lawyers ni Smith [What is left are the constitutionality of the VFA and the liability of Smith's lawyers]," Ursua said. - GMANews.TV
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

Tora^2

• In Altum Vola
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2009, 04:10:11 AM »
I retracted what I said that Cpl Smith suffer for his night of inebriated lust. However, looks like Smith may need a damn good JAG.

OFFICIAL SAYS
Smith may still face US court martial

By Abigail Kwok, Veronica Uy
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 12:57:00 04/24/2009

Filed Under: Subic rape case, Crime and Law and Justice

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE 2) The US Marine acquitted on appeal in a high-profile rape case has left the Philippines, but he could face court martial in the US, officials said.

"Following the decision of the Philippine Court of Appeals, Daniel Smith departed the Philippines under the authority of United States military officials," the US embassy said in a statement.

Calling the rape case "long and difficult," the US embassy said Smith was detained for more than three years in its premises in compliance with the Visiting Forces Agreement, which governs the conduct of US troops in the Philippines.

The mission served as Smith's custodian while the case went on appeal.

The appellate court on Thursday found Lance Corporal Daniel Smith not guilty of raping a Filipina in the Subic Bay Freeport in November 2005, overturning a sentence of life imprisonment handed down by a lower court in December 2006.

"This has been a difficult and emotional case for all involved, especially their families and loved ones. We hope that the parties can now move on with their lives," the embassy said.

In a statement, DILG Undersecretary Marius Corpus said Smith could still face court martial just like his three co-accused, who were all subsequently acquitted by the Makati regional trial court.

"Smith may soon be a free man, but his legal ordeal may not be over yet since he may still have to deal with the court martial," Corpus said.

US Marine Staff Sergeant Chad Carpentier, who like Smith belonged to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Force, was dishonorably discharged, while Lance Corporals Keith Silkwood and Dominic Duplantis were less than honorably discharged.

Outside the US embassy, police blocked small groups of protesters who denounced the appeal court's ruling and demanded that Manila cut military ties with Washington, its former colonial master, Agence France-Presse photographers at the scene said.

The appeals court ruled that "no evidence was presented to show force, threat and intimidation applied by the accused" on the woman.

The woman had alleged that Smith sexually assaulted her in a van while in the company of other US Marines.

Smith insisted the sex was consensual.

Last month, the woman issued a statement casting doubt on her earlier testimony.

Smith met the woman in a bar in the port of Subic, after taking part in joint US-Philippine military exercises.

The woman is reported to have left the Philippines for the United States, where show now lives with an American boyfriend whom she met after the alleged rape. With Agence France-Presse

Kidding and Sarcasm aside, what could Smith be charged with under US Articles of War?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:12:24 AM by Tora^2 »
Code of a Timawan

Sir,

A Timawan does not lie, does not spam, does not flame nor tolerate any of those who do so and a Timawan must cite his sources in his post,

Sir

“Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” - Prof. Edward Teller

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

I support Heidi Mendoza

kalasag

« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2009, 06:57:30 AM »
Sir Firenzi,

Umaayon ako sa iyo Sir, pero ako'y umaasa na sanay hindi pa lahat sana ng Pilipino ay nabibili sanay may HONOR, INTEGREDAD at DIYOS pa rin ang ilan.

Basbasan nawa ng Diyos ang lahing Pilipino. :angel:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:04:58 AM by kalasag »

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
what could Smith be charged with under US Articles of War?
AW85. Desertion. :lol:
Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

Firenzi

« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
I am not sure if you have lived in the Philippines and knew the real situations and how court cases is fixed.

I reckoned you are one of those Global iinoy who have never even stay long enough in the Philippines and
mixed with the masses. I reckoned you are one of those former Filipino nationals or descendants of Pinoy
who migrate to America and elsewhere. Or you are one of those Pinoy who joined the US Military.
Well, In my belief Nicole was raped by Smith really but later the US and Philippine government put intense pressure
and offered her a new life in America. I guess, a Green card, and a job.

To be very frank, in my opinion that is a very good arrangement for all parties. a new life for Nicole in America,
the US government and Philippine have saved their faces. and our defense arrangement with the US is intact
which is necessary considering of greater threats from a militarized China.

BUT for Pinoys and other Pinoy kuno (Global Pinoy) to say that Nicole was not raped is not acceptable. These kind
of Pinoys of questionable citizenship and loyalties is just showing their colonial mentality and crab mentality.
Bringing down any Filipinos for their White master's sakes. You were adding insult to injury to our country's honor.

Nicole was raped by Smith and by corrupt minded Filipinos (including those Pinoy of dubious citizenship and loyalty)
and later Nicole was forced to recant her statement and testimonies as the US and Phil government have put intense pressure and promised of good life.

In one newspaper it said that the Nicole's recant statement was drafted by the damn stinking Filipino lawyers of
Daniel Smith.

Agree. It was not rape in the eyes of:

1) NICOLE HERSELF

2) The Court of Appeals

3) The majority of Filipinos

4) The Americans, Smith included.

It was rape in the eyes of:

1) GABRIELA

2) BAYAN

3) The MTC

4) A small, noisy minority of deluded Filipinos

So, who are we going to believe?

What other proof is needed that the alleged rape did NOT occur? :lol: :jeez: Wanta argue with the "victim" herself?

While I would likee very mucho indeed to forget this case and move on, as long as there are deluded people who insist on publicly painting this as a rape case in spite of all the revelations that it is not and never was, I will have to speak back.

A very grave injustice has been perpetrated on Smith by some of us Filipinos, and the least we can do in mnaking amends is to set the record straight, that what he was accused of, never happened.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:29:46 PM by Firenzi »
" Unhappy is the land that needs a hero "

" All Religion must be tolerated, for every man must get to Heaven in his own way. "

"Being gullible by supporting the corrupted status quo, is tragic.

" The radical of one century is the conservative of the next.  The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
                    - Mark Twain  "

ForceRecon

« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »
My bet is that Smith climbed aboard the USS ESSEX , which I believe is still in town for the Balikatan excercises.