Author Topic: A good list of PAF aircraft  (Read 3944 times)

tferedo

Re: A good list of PAF aircraft
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 06:31:37 PM »
Hi Glen,

The PAAC flew aircaft in different color schemes.  Here is my analyis based on the photos and documents that I have :

Trainers - such as the PT-17 and 76Ds flew in Olive Drab Fuselage and Red (red-orange wings).  Most of these aircraft were ordered directly from the US and they were painted based on specs as requested by the PAAC.  The Olive Drab used were either the Olive Drab # 31 (which was darker and closer to a brown shade) or the latter Olive Drab 41 which was seen on USAAC aircraft by the time war erupted.  It was also said that some of the 76Ds wore a Bronze Green to Medium Green color but lack of colored photos at at that time prohibited me in confirming said colors.

Transports / Hack Aircraft - such as the, Bellanca,  Beech, etc.  flew in Olive Drab or True Blue 23 Fuselages and Yellow Wings while some were seen in Natural Metal Finish with Dark Blue engone cowls and black anti-glare.  The NMF was more prominent in the early 40s while the OD, Blue and Yellow Wings were seen in the mid to late 30s.

Pursuit / Attack / Bombers - now this is where it gets interesting because they flew in in several shcemes both pre-war and during the conflict.  The P-26s when transferred to the PAAC still sported their pre-war US markings and squadron isignia (mostly from the 3rd and 17th PS Squadron).  One photo at the inauguration at Zablan in July 1941 clearly shows the five (5) P-26s lined up with their US markings but with a PAAC diamond on the tail.  They sported True Blue 23 fuselages and chrome yellow wins  The other side of the photo reveals another 5 - 6 aircraft but this time in NMF finishes and its assumed that they also have retained the their US markings.  As to the time they were said to have been applied with the PAAC camo is not known for sure but during wartime, some of them still flew in USAAC colors with their US roundels and squadron insignias painted over with Olive Drab or Medium Green and then the PAAC Diamond applied to the aircraft.  The lone B3 Keystone Bi-plane bomber was said to have been painted in Olive Drab Fuselage and Yellow Wings while some mentioned that it had red wings -- similar to the PT-17s and 76Ds.  However the confusions may have risen due to the fact that a lot of the black and white films used at that era were either panchromatic and orhtochromatic which makes the lighter colors appear darker.  Such as the case of the color yellow that when shot with orthochromatic fils give you a darker shade than the light blue or olive drab fuselage.  The speculation continues.  The P-12E (we had two of them) sported the True Blue 23 fuselage and Yellow wings (also verified by the Aquino brothers - when they saw them at Zablan in the 1940s). Older P-12Bs and P-6s and P-9 Hawks had Olive Drab 31 and Yellow Wings when they were in service with the USAAC in the early 30s.

As of the moment I am still analyzing several photos of USAAC and PAAC aircraft in the P.I. and cross checking them with several documents of their transfers and origins.  Note that the USAAC changed the official color and camouflage schemes in the Mid 30's and these some of these aircraft were ordered to re-painted with the new official liveries.  I know for a fact that some of the USAAC a/c based in the P.I. followed suit but it wa s not always the case for some aircraft.

Will try to post photos later on.
Regard,

wingnut

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
thanks tony...

that's really good reference for PAAC planes...

i'm also keen on the USAAC planes that were stationed in the philippines during the outbreak of the war...

were the P-40s, P-35s and B-17C/Ds in overall OD with light grey or sky blue undersides? were there actual B-25s and A-20s stationed in del monte and eventually transferred to bases in australia? and do these have the same paint scheme?

which of these planes used water-based paints?

tferedo

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
thanks tony...

that's really good reference for PAAC planes...

i'm also keen on the USAAC planes that were stationed in the philippines during the outbreak of the war...

were the P-40s, P-35s and B-17C/Ds in overall OD with light grey or sky blue undersides? were there actual B-25s and A-20s stationed in del monte and eventually transferred to bases in australia? and do these have the same paint scheme?

which of these planes used water-based paints?

Hi Glen,

USAAC aircraft in the P.I. before and during the early WWII period flew in different liveries.  Here is a quick summary:

They flew in a mixed variety from Light Blue Fuselage (True Blue 23)  to Olive Drab (31 and 41) fuselages and Chrome Yellow Wings to Natural Metal Finishes.  Note that the Natural Metal finished aricraft were found in "obsolete" and modern aircraft.  Obsolete meaning they were due to be retired from USAAC service.   Some ofthe O-46 Obeservation aircraft had the LightBlue Fuselage and Yellow Wings while some that were due to be retired were in their Natural Metal Finish.  Aircraft that were rendered as obsolete had a "Z" preffix in their names.  Such as the case for the P-26s ("ZP-26s and "ZO-19s).  Some of the B-17Cs were still in their NMF finishes when the war broke out.  Most of the B-17Ds were already in OD and Neutral Grey.   All P-40s (both B and E Models) were in Olive Drab 41 over Neutral Gray.  As for the P-35A Severskys, those transferred to the 34th Pursuit Squadron recieved a quick coat of Olive Drab over Neutral Gray or OD over NMF.  Some of the P-35As that were retained in the other Pursuit Squadrons (a few) still retained their NMF finish when the war broke out.

They use of water based paints was evident during training manuevers. I have photos of P-35As with faded OD water based paints during gunnery and aerial combat exercises in the Philippines.  The use of Light Blue undersides is a possibility but its not the standard color of the USAAC by early 41.  The use of Dark Brown or Earth Colors were seen in the A-27s (attack version of the T-6 Texan) but these were factory applied in the US.  They were originally to be shipped to Siam (Thailand) but they were diverted to the P. I.   They were in Dark Earth and Dark Green Camouflage over NMF. and even sported the Thai roundels until over painted with the US ones. The color shades were most probably DuPont, which is similar to the P-40B and C that equipped the Flying Tigers with the AVG.

US navy aircraft in the P.I. has the Light Grey or Aluminum lacquer finish with Chrome Yellow wings while some recieved a camouflage using differnet shades of Blues and Grays.  This was common to the PBY-4s with PatWing 10.  Other latter aircraft had the standard Blue-Grey over Light Gull Gray finish.

HTH,
Tony

sax

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 04:34:13 PM »
Is this PAF book available locally? Can someone tell me how I can get my hands on one?

Thanks!

mondo bizzaro

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
PMa guy named frank here.

I think there's a link somewhere.

Not available locally.

CBCP - When we have to absolutely interfere.

My therapist told me I had delusions of sexual superiority.

I know she just wants to fnkc me.

So I told her: Get in line b!tch.

David Holtz, Canadian comedian