Author Topic: Philippine Air Force to acquire 13 new helicopters  (Read 6164 times)

monsy

Philippine Air Force to acquire 13 new helicopters
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:41:50 AM »
spacer

By ARIS R. ILAGAN

The Philippine Air Force (PAF) will acquire a new fleet of 13 helicopters after the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) approved the release of P5 billion to finance its modernization program.

The PAF will celebrate its 60th anniversary on Tuesday, July 3 with President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, as guest of honor.

In a news forum at the Sulo Hotel in Quezon City, Brig. Gen. Eduardo Oban, commander of the PAF Air Defense Wing, said the 13 new aircraft will include eight utility helicopters and five attack choppers.

Oban said they will conduct a rigid bidding process soon so they can determine the suppliers.

"This will definitely be a big boost to our air defense capability," Oban pointed out.

After the winner of the bidding contract is known, the AFP will determine the specifications for the helicopters that will eventually replace the aging Vietnam war vintage UH-1H "Huey" helicopters.

There are still 41 UH1H helicopters still being used by the PAF in its internal security operations in fighting rebel forces and for the conduct of search and rescue mission during disasters.

Oban admitted that the shift from external defense mode to internal security operations by the AFP has prevented them from modernizing the military commands during the past decades.

PAF, however, will continue flying its existing Hueys since they are still airworthy and are being used by many foreign countries as a dependable troop carrier.

The military’s modernization program has been delayed owing to budget constraints. President Arroyo has pledged to speed up the implementation of the modernization program during her term.

monsy

Re: Philippine Air Force to acquire 13 new helicopters
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
so many acquisistion plan, a little bit confusing if this is included in the previous project.

franning

• MBAC 21
  • Ibong Adarna
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
too many pocket to feed  :jeez:

casual observer

• virtual personal assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:52:38 PM »
hala nalito na ako.

jcabanit

Philippines Air force to acquire 13 New Helicopters
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:19:03 AM »
   Tuesday, June 26, 2007   

SEARCH
 Manila bulletin

By ARIS R. ILAGAN

The Philippine Air Force (PAF) will acquire a new fleet of 13 helicopters after the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) approved the release of P5 billion to finance its modernization program.

The PAF will celebrate its 60th anniversary on Tuesday, July 3 with President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, as guest of honor.

In a news forum at the Sulo Hotel in Quezon City, Brig. Gen. Eduardo Oban, commander of the PAF Air Defense Wing, said the 13 new aircraft will include eight utility helicopters and five attack choppers.

Oban said they will conduct a rigid bidding process soon so they can determine the suppliers.

"This will definitely be a big boost to our air defense capability," Oban pointed out.

After the winner of the bidding contract is known, the AFP will determine the specifications for the helicopters that will eventually replace the aging Vietnam war vintage UH-1H "Huey" helicopters.

There are still 41 UH1H helicopters still being used by the PAF in its internal security operations in fighting rebel forces and for the conduct of search and rescue mission during disasters.

Oban admitted that the shift from external defense mode to internal security operations by the AFP has prevented them from modernizing the military commands during the past decades.

PAF, however, will continue flying its existing Hueys since they are still airworthy and are being used by many foreign countries as a dependable troop carrier.

The military’s modernization program has been delayed owing to budget constraints. President Arroyo has pledged to speed up the implementation of the modernization program during her term.

|

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:21:14 AM by jcabanit »

ian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
They are still pushing through with new choppers instead of Huey II upgrades for the entire fleet  :( :thumbsdown:
The Basics
Infantry Equipment. http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=6185.105

ROTC
What didn't you like about ROTC? http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=3897.0
Why ROTC is better off not being mandatory. http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=6877.0

herman

• Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
I've lost track. Which is which? Too many press statements, makes me feel that this country is buying a lot of Helos.
It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder. - Albert Einstein

franning

• MBAC 21
  • Ibong Adarna
Re: Philippines Air force to acquire 13 New Helicopters
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:23:49 AM »
   Tuesday, June 26, 2007   

SEARCH
 Manila bulletin

By ARIS R. ILAGAN

I'm confuse they do bidding before knowing the spec you want?

mondo bizzaro

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:12 AM »
I hope someday to read "13 choppers + 15 jet trainers arrived in FAB, BAB and VAB today".

CBCP - When we have to absolutely interfere.

My therapist told me I had delusions of sexual superiority.

I know she just wants to fnkc me.

So I told her: Get in line b!tch.

David Holtz, Canadian comedian

jammerjamesky

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
I wonder if the priority project and continuity of the PDR program has been implemented properly. :bash: 

the 5 night Attack helicopter is still there but the 8 new utility helicopter :nuts:? Why do our top officers consider a new unit instead pushing thru an inhouse project that is benificial enough for the whole PAF maintenance capability.Id Rather give those what media people call the "old rusty vietnam era UH-1H" a newlife and push thru with the HUEY II Program and trash the New Utility Proposal. We have already the capability to upgrade but the problem is the funds. and now The funds are already their but the priority is getting nowhere.

They might consider this as a new milestone in their leadership if PAF can acquuire a new utility chopper unit but a headache as a whole if the people who supports this project can no longer see the problems/troubles that lies in the future.

Delbert Lee

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:07:54 AM »
Better to see a new fleet of helicopters than to see those 5 decade old helo's flying...  8)

This is what I am really waiting... To see a modern and powerful PAF. Hope they would consider Black Hawk or Cobra gunships. (|;)
Before judging  and condemning others look at yourself first in the mirror.

Tyrael

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 02:57:48 AM »
What about "Philippine Air Force upgrades Hueys to Huey IIs."? It's a wonderful prospect.
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleid=462818

Out of 90.5 million Filipinos, only 3 million are registered as a taxpayer. This is only 3.31%.. Widen tax collection!

Delbert Lee

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 07:07:35 AM »
Yes that would be good too, but it is still old compared with new helicopters... Infact I think by 2015-2020 somewhere, Huey II will be faced out already in US.

Why would we invest for a short term? Lets go for the long term which we can still use for several decades...  (|;)
Before judging  and condemning others look at yourself first in the mirror.

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »
Infact I think by 2015-2020 somewhere, Huey II will be faced out already in US.

The USAF will be receiving Huey IIs until 2009 -- and will be using them for years after. Given how long these choppers have remained in the air, it will still be around beyond 2020
The campaign to establish a Philippine equivalent to DARPA / DAPA / DSTA: http://adroth.ph/srdp_roadmap_darpa/

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

gagamba

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »
Upgrading to Huey II is still the best option for the military considering how expensive even a re-furb choppers. Use the savings for the Huey II and just buy the more capable attack choppers. The US is still using their Hueys both military and civilian use so we are still sure that we can get support for our Hueys for several years down the road.