Author Topic: First Scout Ranger Regiment (FSRR)  (Read 25058 times)

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
First Scout Ranger Regiment (FSRR)
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:15:34 PM »
While searching for existing forum references to the Scout Rangers, I realized there was none. I could have sworn there was a discussion, but that must have been in the days of the olive drab forum.

The Special Forces Regiment (Airborne) already has their thread. Its about time the rangers had their own.

Origins

From Gen Ileto's write-up as Sec. DND: http://www.dnd.gov.ph/DNDWEBPAGE_files/snds/ileto.html

His first assignment in the AFP was with the General Headquarters where he met General Alfonso Arellano for the second time. They both got acquainted when General Arellano was with the Filipino guerilla forces and Lieutenant Ileto was with the US Alamo Scouts during World War II. Recalling their previous meeting, the general stumbled upon a brilliant idea and gave Ileto the mission to organize a special unit similar to the Alamo Scouts. Thus was born the Scout Rangers, a unit which he commanded till 1955.

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

Adroth

• Administrator
  • Logo from: www.proudlypinoy.org
    • http://www.adroth.ph
Re: First Scout Ranger Regiment (FSRR)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »
From the SR mailing list.

On the night of Dec 21 '06 Bg Rey Mapagu (RC), Kriz Mortela (G3), Joel Mariano(G2), Liza Yanto (Nurse-in-charge) , Alan Mendoza (dental officer), Bogs (from G7) traveld by land to the Headquarters of 3RSBn to celebrate the Christmas Party. This time we deviated from the traditional revelries in Camp Tecson and brougth the party to Barangay BINITAYAN, DARAGA, ALBAY.

On one of the staff meetings, we discussed about not celebrating Christmas Party but pool our resources to do the party in some Lahar damaged nowhere in Bicol. By collecting 50 php from each member of the Regiment which eric pizarra recommended plus donations from the Regiment staff we would be able to pool about 117,000.00 php. CG approved the plan and discussed it to CG SOCOM who gladly approved it plus an augmentation of 50,000.00 php for the activity. So I called the Battalion Commander of 3SRB to conceptualize a plan unique to our normal operation.

CO 3SRBN selected Bgy Bintayan because it is so remote often neglected by media hungry politicians. The program included distribution of basic goods to the families, food, medical and dental treatment, candies to kids, and the Battalion brought along with them a magic microfone, that amazed the residents because it was the first time they saw one. While the activity was going on, the Rangers conducted an instant singing contest intended for the kids in different batches. BGen Mapagu doled out thousand-peso prizes to the winners that eventually magnetted the adults to act like kids and joint the contest.

The troops were so moved at how the residents appreciated the simple gifts we gave for Christmas. They said that it was the first time they celebrate Christmas like that, an experience worthy of remembering in a remote place like Binitayan.

CG said that it was worth a travel. We gave a flicker of joy to people who thought that everything is gloom after the disaster.

The day-long activity benifited 450 families with a population of about 3,000. It was a very simple gesture, a small amount of money compared to other efforts, but was effective and worthwhile than throwing resources through wasteful parties that never benefited the marginalized.

Have a wonderful season to everyall hehehe....

from Camp Tecson

Don't get mad at China. GET EVEN. Join the movement to defy a Chinese "order".

Stringfellow Hawk

• MBAC 21
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:47:25 AM »
If I remember correctly, the officer who wrote this is actually a member of the SR

Why we are losing the fight (http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=5323.0)
The Filipino people are only victims . . . they can do nothing . . . . blame President <add name of person in office here> . . . blame it on the elite . . . blame it on the rich . . . blame it on the military . . . blame it on the politicians . . . blame it on the mayor . . . blame it on the barangay captain . . . blame it on your neighbor . . . . . . blame the Spaniards . . . blame the Americans . . . blame the Chinese . . . blame the Indians . . . . blame <add name of nationality here> . . . blame . . . blame . . . blame

Just never blame it on me.

- The disgruntled, but do-nothing, Filipino

40niner_com

• Obsolete weapons do not deter.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 06:02:05 AM »
Here is a forum dedicated to the SRs. Mikelogics is a prominent poster in this forum.

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=22&
Obsolete weapons do not deter. You do not base a defence policy on someone else's good intentions.
- Apr 7, 1989 [Baroness Margaret Thatcher, UK PM (1979-90)]

cebuboy

• low speed high drag chairborne operator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »
SR mascot :)

And by the way, if the trainee wants to quit, he just runs up to the musang grab its dick and ring the bell.

“Fighting the enemy in battle is my duty as a soldier; taking on the dacoits in the train was my duty as a human being.” - Bishnu Shrestha

gagamba

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:47:20 PM »
since younger days I always want to be a scout ranger. maybe their black uniform intrigues me....

BisayangKoboy

• MBAC 21
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:04:54 AM »
Was there a SR training camp somewhere in Davao during the 80's? I remember going there during my CAT officer's training.  We even tried the obstacle course.

StandbyRes27

• A service for my Home Land
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »
And by the way, if the trainee wants to quit, he just runs up to the musang grab its dick and ring the bell.

Cool! so it's like a movie "JI Jeane" style, if a cadet give up in the training he will just bang the bell as to say "I give up!" :bravo:

prairiefire

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »
SR mascot :)

A cool feature of the that "musang" statue in Camp Tecson is that its teeth are made from bullets, with the 4 canines coming from 7.62mm projectiles and the rest of the teeth made up of 5.56mm slugs. Ingenious!

Ignatius1

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »
What is that supposed to be? An over sized cat? A panther? Man it looks weird!!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

PAFunixGeek

• MBAC 21
  • Flying on the Wings of Comp Lab
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
What is that supposed to be? An over sized cat? A panther? Man it looks weird!!
It is the "musang" or philippine civet cat. 

Kinda looks pathetic in real life ...

(photo from baguiogallery.com)

... yeah, let's just stick to the Black Panther like version.

Handa sa Tawag ng Inang Bayan

saver111

• MBAC 21
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »
It is the "musang" or philippine civet cat. 

Kinda looks pathetic in real life ...

(photo from baguiogallery.com)

... yeah, let's just stick to the Black Panther like version.

I remember before, one of their unit has the Eveready-like jumping musang patch. I thought it was the poor quality of embroidery until I've learned what a musang was.

Or was it because of the motto inscribed in it?
"In the interest of National Defense..."

"Ask not what your country can do for you... but ask what you can do for your country!"

HELP END PIRACY NOW!
SIGN PETITION HERE:
http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm

darthnbs

• MBAC 21
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing...
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:24 PM »
To get this thread fired-up. What were the greatest exploits of the Scout Rangers in Philippine Military History?

Aut agere aut mori

prairiefire

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:25:44 AM »
Yeah! Me wanta know too! Hope Sir Mikelogics can contribute!

specter

• SierraFox fan
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 02:45:11 AM »
Many would disagree but one SR exploit that should be given attention is the Burnham rescue attempt.
Been there, tried it, got a mug.

"When the hour of crisis comes, remember that 40 selected men can shake the world" - Yasotay