Author Topic: Indonesia is buying two more LSTs  (Read 53 times)

tonnyc@tmw

Indonesia is buying two more LSTs
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:22:12 AM »
Indonesia is buying another two LSTs, making it 7 operational plus these two on order.

Although IHS Jane's article is a bit ambiguous, these are big LSTs. At 120 m long it's just a little bit shorter than the BRP Tarlac.

There is a slight mismatch between Indonesian source and IHS Jane's. Defense Studies blog says the ship is only 117 m long. The same blog also says the ship can load either 15 BMP-3 or 10 Leopard 2 MBT.

One thing I find interesting is that TNI-AL seems to be spreading the orders to multiple shipyards rather than doing the cheaper serial production with a single shipyard. There's no official explanation why, but I'm guessing it's a way to keep several shipyards up and running rather than becoming dependent on any single shipyard.

opus

• Administrator
Re: Indonesia is buying two more LSTs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »

There is a slight mismatch between Indonesian source and IHS Jane's. [Url=http://defense-studies.blogspot.com/2019/04/kemhan-order-2-lst-ke-pt-bandar-abadi.html?m=1]Defense Studies blog
says the ship is only 117 m long. The same blog also says the ship can load either 15 BMP-3 or 10 Leopard 2 MBT.

One thing I find interesting is that TNI-AL seems to be spreading the orders to multiple shipyards rather than doing the cheaper serial production with a single shipyard. There's no official explanation why, but I'm guessing it's a way to keep several shipyards up and running rather than becoming dependent on any single shipyard.

When push comes to shove, Indonesia will have more than one shipyard capable of building large naval assets.  It fits though, especially for amphibious vessels.  They're the larges archipelagic nation, with 17,000 islands.  We're the 2nd largest but we have nowhere near their amphibious sea lift capability
Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit
He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree