Author Topic: Trolls, sock puppets, and generated bots: The weaponization of social media  (Read 285 times)

opus

• Administrator
If you haven't read by now, Facebook announced that it dismantled Duterte's social media manager's fake account network.  That might sound significant but taking down 200 pages, groups and accounts is a drop in the bucket considering there are around 41 million Facebook users in the Philippines, and it most certainly took more than 200 accounts to cause the insanity we're under now.

The 'Weaponization' Of Social Media — And Its Real-World Consequences

October 9, 20181:37 PM ET
Heard on Fresh Air

Dave Davies

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/09/655824435/the-weaponization-of-social-media-and-its-real-world-consequences

... Trolls are basically, you know, people online who are trying to provoke some kind of emotional response - usually to make you angry. But when we're talking about the Russian operations, they broke into two parts. There were sock puppets. Those are real humans behind the account who are posing as something they're not. So it's some Russian hipster in St. Petersburg who is acting like they are an American veteran, a grandmother from Texas.

But then you have also bots. These are machines. These are algorithms that are basically pushing out messages automatically. The combination of the two can be incredibly powerful because the sock puppet can say one thing, and then the bots can drive that message viral by having thousands or tens of thousands of voices echo it out further.
Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit
He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree

Miggye!

unfortunately, sir Opus, one of our old-time members, Israeli/Benedict Exconde, has gone over to the dark side and is now a professional hack
Dulce Et Decorum Est, Pro Patria Mori
Ad Astra, Ad Infinitum

MCentaur

unfortunately, sir Opus, one of our old-time members, Israeli/Benedict Exconde, has gone over to the dark side and is now a professional hack

Would you care to elaborate, please? If you don't feel like saying it out in the open, you can always PM me.
"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"- Gen. George S. Patton

Philippines Defense Forces forum

jepot

MS if you care to read up on a reply i made to your unsolicited advice, you would see whats going on with aforementioned former local noisemaker Israeli; its all out there- you can use your investigative skills that you show here well in the fora mentioned in FB.. 8)

Miggye!

Would you care to elaborate, please? If you don't feel like saying it out in the open, you can always PM me.

Jepot is right, its all over the internet. look up Benedict's FB account and enjoy. simply put, the guy is now a paid troll, and the butt of jokes among the ex-Timawans in PDD and DRP.... hell, even *****  makes fun of him!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:05:55 PM by opus »
Dulce Et Decorum Est, Pro Patria Mori
Ad Astra, Ad Infinitum

gemini1

I was wondering who that Benedict was.  ;D

Mr. Pitz

• Pitz Defense Analysis
I was wondering who that Benedict was.  ;D

He is that ex-Timawan who recently sprouting politically-motivated bullcr*p which is far from what he was before. Sad to what he has become at present.
Never assume unless it is highly stated.

Protect the integrity, sovereignty, and welfare of the Philippine Republic.